Friday, August 3, 2012

Recap: Playing With A Full Deck.


We're all familiar with competing programs, aren't we? It seems whenever a show is
popular for doing one thing, there's always another that shares many similarities with it, and
comes out around the same time; in an attempt to cash in on it. Nowhere is that more prevalent
than in anime. When Pokémon came out, Digimon was not far behind. Cowboy Bebop Vs.
Outlaw Star debates are always popular for Toonami/early Adult Swim viewers. Death Note
vs. Code Geass is a currently ongoing cycle. It can get so generalized among similar anime
that it's down to Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal Vs. Cardfight Vanguard. Even so, competing anime based on
trading card games is nothing now.

No, it stretches back to the past decade. About 2004, when the original Yu-Gi-Oh was
at the height of its popularity; Wizards of the Coast responded by bringing over another card
game and anime. This was known as Duel Masters.

Yes, I am well aware that a fair number of people like this show. As I explained in my
Bakugan and Monsuno recaps, I have no problem with the game. It is the anime that I find
unsupportable. Why? Like many other series at the time, it partakes in a controversial practice
called the gag dub. This is where the writers of the dub of an anime try to adapt the story
and make it suitable for American audiences by playing its concept for laughs. If done correctly;
it can be entertaining as well as respectful to its source material. However, if done incorrectly;
the result becomes absolutely painful to endure.

Again, a fair number of people say the gag dub was well-done, that playing the concept
of competitive trading card games for laughs worked in the show's favor. I apologize for the
following statement: you were looking back at this show through rose-tinted glasses. Duel
Masters is not a good example of the gag dub, nor is it a good anime. It's not well-written, it's
it's not well-animated, it's a disjointed, hopeless mess of an anime. Anyone who claimed they
liked this is deluding themselves. As you will see, you have let your memories mislead you.
Let's start, as with any series like this, with the first episode.

We open on a boy sorting through some trading cards. We hear him narrating about how
card games can be a life-changing experience. Well, that didn't take long. Twenty-eight
seconds in, and we've already jumped the shark.

  

We get an incredibly bad CGI effect, and we immediately transition to our theme song.
It is a garbled mix of techno and thrash metal. I can't understand what the Hell the singer is saying. All I can make out of the lyrics are shouts of “Duel Masters” and “Shobu.” Now I remember why I always took a walk while my brother watched this. We get our logo, and
the title of the episode beneath it, “Playing With A Full Deck.” As I go along, they're not even
close in that department.





We see this Shobu they were shouting in the opening, as he gets all giddy about his card
games. That's impressive. I hate you already!


We get another boy saying that Shobu needs to hurry if he wants to make the tournament.
Well, thank you, Pidge. Why don't you go ride your Green Lion?




A girl comes up to the boy, and it is quite the awkward stance he's in. Take a good look,
kid. That's as close as you'll ever get to a woman.




So they head to the tournament, and-DAH! Get out of my personal space, Shogi! Sorry.
They head to the tournament as we see their friend-Mario? We find out that the little boy's
name is Kouta. I think ShoPro will be easier to make fun of for his name.



GAH! What did I tell you about personal space, Showa?



As they head to the tournament, we see someone following them in a red sports car.
That's not conspicuous at all! Why not try following them in a black van?


So, Big Show arrives at the tournament and is already doing incredibly well. I also
take note of the '90s music video editing. The Megazord fights on Power Rangers Turbo
weren't this jaggy!






It turns out the opponent's name is Kenny. Oh my God! they killed Kenny! You bastards.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Also, this is the second recap in which the characters look like my
attempts at doodling manga. I know anime is usually done on the cheap, but come on!




As the card games continue, the Gorillaz here look in on Showboat. The announcers
remark that Kenny is in a pickle, then proceed to hock a brand of pickles. Wow. That's money- grubbing and unfunny. It's like an anime Irate Gamer.







So we see more of the gameplay, and the players appear to be throwing their cards.
What? This isn't 52-pickup, this is a TCG. There are rules.

After a bit with the weird man, it turns out that Shogun is going to fight the Teenage
Mutant Ninja Card Sharks. The one representing them is Shinoji. Shinoji is ostensibly a boy,
despite the fact that “he” is wearing a yellow blouse, has long hair, a feminine face; which
does little to offset his voice, which seems to have been cultivated on a diet of sandpaper and
broken glass. He makes Tamaki Suoh look masculine.



They start their match, and I have no idea why the gameplay involves throwing the cards
around. The collectors will have their heads.

Shinoji's cronies go after Kouta and the girl, and the one with the bubble gum in his mouth has the bubble move when he talks. And I thought Koenma talking coherently when
he never took out his pacifier was weird.






Back at the match, they still feel a need to abuse their cards when they play. Then,
Shoobie summons a giant tornado to attack Shinoji.  

Auntie Em! Uncle Henry!



Showgirl is taking a beating for about 2 minutes, until he finally gets the drive to make
his counterattack.

OWWWW! MY HAND IS ON FIRE! GET ME A
BUCKET OF WATER! I'M IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN!
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


I also point out that I've given up trying to follow the mechanics of this game. I'm just
enjoying the pictures. This episode has been going on for 7 minutes, and I don't care whether
Shinoji or Cinema Paridiso wins.

Even so, after a duel that took 6 minutes out of 8, Last Picture Show won the tournament.
That's a bigger joke than the actual jokes.

The man from before approaches the children. Okay, didn't anyone tell Rocky Horror
Picture Show about stranger danger? He even looks like a guy you're told to run from in first
grade! You know, black trench coat, sunglasses, asking you to come with him?



The man says his name is Knife. Now you know why I won't call Shogakukan by his
real name.

Now, you'll have to bear with me. I don't know whether the copy I used for this recap had
bad audio, but I can't make out what Knife is saying at all. If you have watched the episode,
please let me know what he's saying. His speech pattern is so muffled that I may have to
run his dialogue through Babel Fish.


On top of his indistinct tone, Knife also is whispering throughout his talk with the children. I can't tell if he's asking them about a “Real Duel” or “Rio Do.” What I got out of
his next lines was “a difference between Dockers and reel dubbing.” What?

Seriously, Knife gets harder to understand with each passing scene. I heard what he said
as “a cucumber flesher.” He's even harder to understand than Jean Claude Van Damme, who
earned laughs from my family on movie night; when we watched “Street Fighter” and had him
ask for a “wake-a-car.” Anyhow, Soul Food asks him a question about dueling.

Knife replies, but I can't tell if he said “be there tomorrow afternoon” or “beat your hair
with mooring till noon.” I also don't know if he added “bring your best game” or “wring your
breast cane.”

I feel like the last three minutes were spent talking to a guy whose jaw muscles were frozen. I didn't get a word of what he said. He goes on to say-”you could be better” or “you
could beat batter?” Knife then ends with “you underscored your screed,” I think.
TALK! A LITTLE! LOUDER!


So, they go to the meeting place the following day. Hopefully Knife got the peanut butter out of his mouth. The girl, whose name I may have blacked out in the midst of our car trouble;
remarks that she didn't think the place was so big. I didn't think it was this unkempt. I've seen
apartment buildings with less moss!

Welcome to Duel Academy. What are you wearing?


The children encounter Knife. Knife, could you talk a little louder, please? Kouta
points out a Kaijudo trophy from Stockholm, Sweden. Somewhere, Alfred Nobel is crying.
Kouta sees another from Belize, Brazil. I only wish this show were a hallucination of my
broken mind.


The way Kouta's voice actor reads his lines-whoever it is, they're horribly miscast.
It sounds like Fran Drescher if she were gargling Neelix.

Knife once again speaks. “Sashimi is ready?” No thanks, I'm a beef bowl guy. Showroom
then says he's going to “own the zone.” That's what you get when 30-something dub writers
try to sound hip. That same reasoning produced “feeling the flow.”

Kouta then insinuates that Knife is trying to “psych you out.” This aired in 2004. People
had not said that for ten years at that point. It sounds even dumber now that people haven't
said it for eighteen years.

Knife then says some of the few intelligible lines he's been given. “Shuffle my cards.
I hear you're really good with swift attacks.” “Shuffle my cards?” “I hear you're really good
with swift attacks?” If I just heard these lines out of context, I'd think they came from a hentai
about card games.





I got one hand on fire, and the other one is drinking a Pepsi!


Then, the other big card game of the show begins in the most needlessly dramatic fashion
imaginable.


Despite Floor Show freaking out, he rises to the challenge. How droll. How very droll.

CARD-MAN! And the Masters of the Stodgy Gag Dubs!



Here we see editing at its worst, as the visuals of this card game have excessive use
of that shine-through effect that comes with most editions of Windows Movie Maker. On top
of that, there are laughable special effects as more of the monsters are summoned.

Just because you can use CGI, doesn't mean you should.


These monsters have very little texture mapping, and their colors are murky as the small swamps in my neighborhood. The kind that will suck your shoe off your foot.

OK, now you're making Dinosaur King look realistic!
Can you put a little more effort into this CGI, guys?!


Knife then tells Shota to play from his heart, and he doesn't have to beat him to win.
No wonder Yu-Gi-Oh is fondly remembered while people are ashamed of this.



As the duel continues, I must admit I don't really know what I'm looking at. It borders



So, Minoru Shiraishi says he's not giving up and he's going to “own the zone,” despite being shaken by Knife's incomprehensible comments. Word of advice, writers: when you're
trying to have a serious moment, it's best to avoid phrases like “own the zone.” It tends to
be a moment killer.

Another complaint: The pacing is horrendous. I mean, we have a tournament done in
6 minutes, and an existential crisis in 3 minutes. Sosuke Sagara remarks that he doesn't have
enough cards to beat Knife. More cards. Must buy more cards.

We then get a flashback with his dad, and yes, that's really what he looks like. Jango
Fett didn't have this big a resemblance!





He then says that it doesn't matter what happens. That you just need to try your best.
Also, don't do drugs, bathe regularly, and keep your town clean. He has a lot of stock life lessons.

By the Power of Grayskull... I HAVE THE POWER!



We then see his best monster. …
(pfft) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! I'm sorry, it's just that MetalGreymon's drawings looked
more three-dimensional!



Knife counters with a helicopter dinosaur with a lot of firepower. I think it's time to




We get some glass shattering, and it's a horrible effect. The Loc-Nar destroying that
girl's house was more convincing. Additionally, ShoTua is making a constipated face. If you
have to poop, take off your pants first.




Even so, he still loses. People say Ash Ketchum is bad at handling losses? This guy
slips into clinical depression!

I lost a card game! I no longer have reason to live!





Then, when he gets home, his mom lists off a bunch of chores for him to do. Not the
worst ending, but it's astutely depressing for what's supposed to be a gag dub anime.

Wow, this was a hard one. It came very close to breaking me, and it's the first time
that I've felt genuinely ashamed of watching something for this blog.

“Playing With a Full Deck” is anything but. I cannot imagine how people actually enjoyed this anime. The voice acting is among the worst I've ever heard in a dub, ranging from
a grating voice to an unintelligible mumbler (if you know what Knife was saying, please tell
me in the comments). The animation is so horrible that it's a wonder it actually got picked up
by Cartoon Network. Everything from the way the characters move to the poor background
design to the Third World special effects is blatantly straight-to-DVD. As a gag dub, it fails
due to the poor quality of the writing and execution. If they went for something more along
the lines of Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series; it would have worked. Instead, there are stupid
and nonsensical jokes as well as a complete lack of fun that just makes the series hopelessly
bleak. It is truly remarkable in how bad it is. I am going to go play my new copy of Pokémon
Conquest and watch some Ichigo Mashimaro before I completely lose hope.

















No comments:

Post a Comment