Monday, November 14, 2016

Recap: Gone Corphishin'


Alola, everyone. Due to circumstances beyond my control; I have decided to switch up what I had planned to recap. While I was going to recap an episode of Pokémon Advanced on my radar; I decided to do another one to provide some levity based on what just happened. I can also use it to illustrate how I feel about AG in hindsight and use that as how I don’t think the Sun and Moon anime will be as bad as many others think it will. So, let’s open up “Gone Corphishin’” and talk about the matter as Sun and Moon draw ever closer. 





We then get our title card after the theme song, which is OK to me in hindsight even if I found the later AG themes to be better.

On Dewford Island, Ash, Pikachu and the others are training on a small inlet on the far side. 




Nearby, Brock is making breakfast as Max is helping with the laundry! Love that morning fresh scent! 






As Ash and his Pokémon listen to the waves, they try to read their movements! While Treecko doesn’t move quickly enough, he and Ash get wet!



Control, control, you must learn control.



After hanging up his hat and jacket, he continues his special training by the beach. Even though I may not be the biggest fan of Advanced; I do genuinely like moments such as this. Helps contribute a bit to my growing head canon version of the series (I’m already working on what I might do for Sun and Moon).



















Hey! The sheriff is a nig-(bell rings)! "What'd he say?"









Yet, whatever messed up their campground pulled them underwater! 




While they attempt to get things cleaned up, they hang their clothes up to dry. It makes sense in context, kind of.







Needless to say, even in his boxers, Ash is determined to find out what did this to them! Even though I’m usually not the biggest fan of this kind of humor, I do find this screen cap pretty amusing. 




Pants are an illusion, and so is death.


That night, after their clothes are dry; they are still baffled by what could have done all this damage. They try to set up a trap to find the culprit, to no avail. 







The next morning, Ash decides to double his efforts to catch the vandal citing one of Professor Oak’s poems: “What happened before will happen once more” as a pair of Sandslash appear onscreen. Can’t wait to play with the Alolan Sandslash, to be frank. 











As night falls again, they set a new trap for their vandal; and it attracts a few strange folk covered in seaweed. 




Then, all of a sudden, the culprit is revealed to be a Corphish! Ash then decides to catch it!







Pikachu tries to attack, but Corphish grabs him by the tail and flings him into Ash! I also note how this position is kind of suspect. Get your mind out of the gutter!







Ash then sends out Treecko, and now the battle truly begins! 


GLACIUS! RIPTOR! FIGHT ON!


With little difficulty, Ash captures Corphish; gaining a new friend for his journey! 








“Gone Corphishin’” is a notable standout in early Advanced. While I may not share the enthusiasm many have towards the series; I am glad about the overall experience. With some relatively nice animation and humor that is pulled off better than other episodes I’ve covered here (looking at you, “The Bicker The Better” and “A Double Dilemma”); it’s a solid episode that made a good backup for what’s happened. The episode I originally intended to do can be done another time, I’m just waiting for certain things to blow over. That said, I have a couple more episodes on the table to help ring in Sun and Moon’s release on Friday, to say nothing of the new anime on Thursday. You should see them within the first couple weeks of Sun and Moon’s release, since this recap took longer to write than I expected. See you space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment