Thursday, December 8, 2016

About the Ghost in the Shell live-action remake.

I am still working on some of my plans for this month; I am about a third of the way done with the next Code Geass R2 recap, but I feel I need to address this subject. I've been resisting giving the matter attention because of the nature of it all; but I can't really do that anymore.

For some time, there has been talk of a live-action remake of the classic anime film "Ghost in the Shell," which after many years in development Hell; is finally scheduled to be released on March 31, 2017. The film will star Scarlett Johansson as the lead and will be directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman).

While I was apprehensive about the idea when I first heard about it; when the first trailer surfaced, I was incredibly disappointed. The visuals may look impressive, but I'm really not a fan of the liberties they're taking with the original story. I may admire Scarlett Johansson as an actress; but I don't know if I can get behind her this time. However, the casting itself is not what I'm taking issue with (though I agree the notion of "racebending" these roles needs to die).

Though many people in the source material's native Japan are onboard, least of all Mamoru Oshii (who directed the original film); I found Sanders' blithe assessment of the controversy as well as that of producer Steven Paul trying to brush the film's casting and rewrites off on the condition of the film having "an international setting" with "all sorts of people and nationalities." To say I do not share their sentiment would be putting it mildly.

Mr. Sanders, Mr. Paul; if I may borrow a line from another ScarJo role, with her as Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe: "Are you incapable of letting go of your ego for one goddamn second?"

Guys, I'm afraid it's not that simple to make a claim like that in today's cinematic environment. The issue people have is not a lack of cast members of Japanese descent, it's that the lead was not made one of them. Even if the source material does deal with what it means to be human in the machine age; you have failed to realize on a fundamental level that this behavior has ALWAYS caused more problems than it solves. Even if she is "the best actress of her generation," sometimes star power shouldn't come at the expense of trying to be respectful to the people that helped bring recognition to the story in the first place. The idea that you can sweep this under the rug of the setting being "an international world," to be blunt; is utter nonsense.

In fact, the "international world" you speak of could be more accurately described as an "international world" of potential ticket sales; but given how many other films in the science fiction genre there are alone on the docket for 2017, I can suggest this move is going to be highly detrimental to the film as a whole. While some claim the film "doesn't look as bad as Dragonball Evolution," I vehemently disagree. In addition to evoking flashbacks of the much-maligned live-action remake of Aeon Flux; I think it could potentially be Dragonball Evolution times 2,356. The Los Angeles Times even suggested that "the only race Hollywood cares about is the box-office race," as quoted by Marc Bernardin.

So, my plan is to stay home and watch the original film when it opens instead; and I encourage people to stay away from the film. My primary movies for March are most likely going to be Logan and Power Rangers, with the possibility of the new Beauty and the Beast and Kong: Skull Island on the table as well. Maybe if this film bombs, we can send a message to these people that we don't want something that we love handled like this; no matter who's involved. The nicest thing I can say about the ordeal is that I know I do have a live-action Ghost in the Shell remake I know is good. I call it The Matrix. That will be all for now, I will get back to work on my next few recaps. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment