Thursday, August 29, 2024

Terminator Zero (2024) First Viewing Thoughts.

This started as another first impressions post, but it turned into something even bigger after I once again binged the whole event. So, here are my first viewing thoughts on the anime Terminator Zero.


Courtesy: Netflix/Production IG/Skydance


Helmed by Masashi Kudo of "Ghost in the Shell" fame and Mattson Tomlin; the anime takes place parallel to the canonical judgment day on August 29, 1997. As the hour draws closer to Skynet becoming self-aware, mysterious beings known as Misaki and Kokoro seek to prevent catastrophe with an enigmatic programmer named Malcolm Lee and his three children. What follows is a story that not only pays homage to the franchise's 40-year legacy; but presents its core ideas in fascinating new ways.

As a longtime fan, I am pleased to say that not only does it contain a large amount of thrilling action scenes and visual wonder I've come to expect; it also re-imagines the lore in a time where it's arguably needed most. Some of the iconography and story elements are familiar. Others are remixed in new and unique ways. Though the franchise has varied wildly in terms of quality over the years, I have found something to enjoy even in the more divisive installments.

Without any major spoilers, the anime definitely did a fantastic job at remixing the many twists and turns the franchise's timeline has taken over the years. It's also visually-stunning, with Production IG turning in some absolutely fantastic animation. I am not exaggerating when I say this is honestly my favorite installment since T2, which remains my favorite of the films (a sentiment shared by my late brother).

Overall, 'Terminator Zero" is an ideal way to celebrate 40 years of the franchise, blending its flair for thrilling sci-fi action and horror with thought-provoking statements on everything from the ethical debates surrounding AI to the conflict between predestination and free will. This will be far from the only IP to be addressed in the remainder of this year. You will just have to wait and see what it is next. That will be all for now, and I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment