Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recap: The Bicker The Better.



Hello everyone, it's Pokémon Advanced Challenge time again. I have a great
love of Pokémon. Though my favorite anime series is Gurren Lagann, my second favorite
anime is Pokémon.

I fully admit that the concept is ridiculous and it's every bit about marketing the video
game series (which I also love) as it is about storytelling; and the episode structure can
be quite formulaic. However, when I'm asked about why I still enjoy the series, I simply
reply, “because it's fun.”

I also state that I really did not want to watch the Advanced Generation series or
the Diamond and Pearl series. When I finally did decide to get into them, I came off as an
even bigger Pokémon nut than I was with the original series.

As I stated in my other recaps, every TV series has to have a bad episode among the good. My first recap was of “Love, Petalburg Style,” an episode about an inferred extramarital
affair involving Norman the gym leader and Nurse Joy.

In the meantime, I am going to recap an episode that really grinds my gears. That episode is “The Bicker The Better”; an episode that is such a blatant and contrived attempt
at a “battle of the sexes” plot that some countries have even banned the episode, putting it
in the same line as “Electric Soldier Porygon” (the infamous seizure episode), “The Legend
of Dratini” (the one with the guns and the 30 Tauros), and “Beauty and the Beach” (a lost
episode that I decided was best not to explore until the glorious invention of YouTube made
it possible so everyone could, 8 years after its only airing on Kids WB).

Before I get into this, let me explain something: people are free to like and hate
what they want. One person making fun of a work should not affect the enjoyment of
said work or said person. My scathing dislike of this episode should not drag down your
perception of it if you do like this episode. Disagreements are a large part of any fandom.
I mentioned Dogasu, a Bulbagarden contributor who operates his own website of changes
made in the dub. I recommend checking it out, his work is very insightful; and he has a snark
that effectively makes him the Pokémon equivalent of Red Letter Media's Mr. Plinkett character
(the guy who made exhaustively detailed reviews of the Star Wars prequels).

Still, there have been times where I disagreed with him. He felt that Team Rocket
actually becoming good at their jobs in Pokémon Best Wishes took away their charm, I said
that making them a threat gave them a drive and a new outlook on the series. He said that
the Don Battle/Club Battle arc was a waste of time; I found it to be one of the most entertaining
tournament arcs I've seen in an anime. In that same instance, when he complained about Zorua
being shoved in everyone's face; I found Zorua's antics to be one of the things I enjoyed most
about that arc.


I bring this up because he praised this episode in his recap of it. I am going to be the iconoclast and deconstruct this episode's flaws; giving a detailed explanation as to why it doesn't work.


We open on a beautiful morning at the Pokémon Center, as Ash and his friends are on
their way to Fortree City. I haven't played Ruby and Sapphire in a while, but I can say
that Fortree City is one of my favorite locations in Hoenn for virtue of being built entirely on
treehouses. Having seen the episode it was featured in when I was 19 first, it reminds me of
the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk in the Star Wars films.

They are all set to go, but Pikachu chimes in and they notice they forgot May. She is packing up her belongings, and Ash rushes back into the Pokémon Center and starts yelling
at her about it. Oh boy. Here we go.



Ash leads her out of the center, but May then stops to check herself in the mirror. You
know, in some cultures, vanity is considered a sin.
Ash again chews her out for her ladylike traits of admiring herself. May replies that
men almost never check their hair or clothes. Personally, I thought the costume design in
the Advanced Generation was reminiscent of the video game Jet Grind Radio, and I say that
as a guy whose fashion sense is just a step over hobo.  




As they exit the center and get on their merry way, May says words to the effect of
calling Ash a geezer. I can just imagine Ash replying, “Don't mock me! I'll be around for years!”

Once again, we get our theme song of “This Dream.” I stated that was a good theme
song, though my favorite theme of the Advanced Generation is “Unbeatable” in the following
season, “Advanced Battle.”

Next, we get our title card. Let this be an indication of what's to come in this episode,
why I have a deep hatred for it.



Ash and May are still fighting after we segue into the episode proper. Max and Brock
comment on how this fighting has been going on for some time. This is going to hurt, isn't it?
How do you even begin to deal with an episode like this?


The worst part of this is, they're played by the only
voice actress who will still have a career after this show.


Then, in come two characters that made sure I would have no chance of liking this
episode: Oscar and Andi. They are characters parodying the leads of The Rose of Versailles,
an 18th-century romantic drama.

These two keep insisting that Ash and May are in love. I'm simply going to call them
out right now: They're idiots. Do you want more proof? They say that Ash and May fighting
is the first sign of love. No, it's the first sign of domestic abuse.



Max and Brock point out there is something weird about them. Now that I agree with.
There must have been something in the water where they came from.

Oscar and Andi suggest a battle. That's good, I could really use some action right now.
Ash and May agree to it. I'm just going to come out and say that Oscar and Andi are way too
happy about this. Maybe it's because I haven't seen the show they're parodying, but every
Rose of Versailles joke makes me more lost. I have a tendency to reference obscure shows like
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, and I could use Saw Boss and some Monster Minds in this.
More on the way Oscar and Andi talk- their politeness contest just isn't working for me.



Brock, despite the fact that Andi is clearly in love with Oscar, hits on Andi. I definitely
needed his unsuccessful Romeo to make this stinker of an episode more tolerable. Max drags him away. I will talk a bit about Max. I used to really not like him, but after I branched out in
anime, I discovered there are far worse characters than him and loosened up about him.

Oscar and Andi declare it a tag battle, so Ash and May can put their love to the test.



Ash and May send out Corphish and Skitty. Oscar counters with Nidoking (Like a BOSS!) and Andi sends out Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen always looked like she was wearing a bikini
to me.




May ponders what move to use, which drives Ash nuts. I'm sympathizing with him
right now.



Oscar and Andi, however, are in perfect sync. While Ash and May's Pokémon attack each other, theirs lay devastating combos on them as they get stars in their eyes.

Ash breaks down on the situation.




Dinosaur King, Tai Chi Chasers, Little Bee, why was I in them all?



Oscar and Andi keep going on about their love. Take your love to a showing of Magic
Mike, and keep it away from my Pokémon.They finish them with a Submission combo that makes a heart. You know, JRR Tolkien once said that sometimes disbelief must not be suspended so much as hanged, drawn, and quartered. Here, I'm all for giving my disbelief death by lethal injection. These two are completely out of place in a series like this, and it just pads a generic “Battle of the sexes”
story.






Enter Team Rocket, with Jessie complaining that they haven't done anything typically
Team Rocket. Like overtake Silph Tower, sell Slowpoke tails as delicacies or attack Olivine
City.



Oscar and Andi then challenge Team Rocket to a battle. God, I thought we were done
with these “1776” castoffs.

They accept the battle, and also get Team Rocket fighting. These two are total Mary
Sues. I think the only reason these two existed is to make the pre-established characters look
bad in this “battle of the sexes” fanfic poorly disguised as an episode.

They beat Team Rocket, and this argumentative drivel is still going. I am now convinced
that Oscar and Andi are total Sues.

Among the few notable things in Team Rocket's arguments are that Jessie doesn't like
James' blue hair, though it is now lavender thanks to the switch to digital coloring. James






Another tag battle occurs, with guys VS. girls. Now this is a joke. It just devolves into
a bunch of random attacks rather quickly. The episode has given up. They have thrown up
their hands and said, “we have no idea.”

It devolves further into Meowth shaking his rump. Why did Dogasu like this episode?
While this could have been funny, Jessie and James get the idea to steal Pikachu. You got
all that from interpretive dance.





Pikachu is stolen, and they give chase, with Skitty's Assist having it use String Shot.
Apparently, Assist sometimes turns Skitty into Spider-Man.

Kiss her, you fool!


They're back. Corphish knocks Team Rocket down and Pikachu out of the net. They
shockproofed the net, but didn't give it a top. That's actually pretty funny.

Ash and May muse they could have battled like this against Oscar and Andi. Oscar and
Andi can go screw themselves.






“The Bicker the Better” had absolutely no point. You could cut it out and it would have
absolutely no impact on the story. There were at least Johto filler episodes that were entertaining, and I'm in the minority that liked Johto. What I'm really astounded by is that
Dogasu liked this episode, but gave several legitimately good episodes lower ratings. These include the Misty-centric two-parter in Advanced Challenge, “Pikachu's Goodbye,” “Maxed
Out,” “March of the Exeggcutor Squad”, and “Showdown in Dark City.”


I know for certain that now I can bash “A Double Dilemma” as a horrible episode, but
you still must wait for that. Next time, I will take on Magical DoReMi, with an episode that
cemented the show as the Blue's Clues of magical girl series.













2 comments:

  1. This was a very funny episode of the series and I agree with Dogasu and others who liked it on forums. You sound to me like you take everything too seriously. A funny episode where Ash and May argue and get accused of being a couple with Team Rocket teaming up with them is bad? And the whole final brawl with Pokemon going crazy was hilarious.

    Likewise calling it a filler is ridiculous, because Ash and May team up together for what I believe is the first time as a tag battle, and it gives May battler experience. This isn't one of those episodes where Ash helps some trainer with a problem that we never see again.

    Its rather odd that there are many Kanto/Johto episodes just like this one and you're fine with them (Princess Vs. Princess is probably the closest example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different strokes, I suppose. Another one of my influences, SF Debris, expressed a similar sentiment towards the Star Trek Voyager episode "Body and Soul" (an episode I love, by the way): generally, the criteria for comedy-centric episodes is if you find them funny; and I really didn't (the closest I got was probably imagining Veronica Taylor in a recording booth doing 50 takes on each line). Also, yes, I am generally more likely to praise a "serious" episode unless the humor really amuses me. So, you'd be right about "Princess VS Princess;" which I'm mulling over doing in the near future.

      Delete