Monday, February 24, 2014

Black Lagoon and Blue Exorcist on Toonami soon, update regarding Kanga Games.

Hello again. Well, the Sochi Olympics have come and gone with many gold medals and meetings of goodwill. While I have taken the screencaps for Kanga Games, I have been severely behind in writing it; and it will be a sendoff for the Winter Olympics and a kickoff for covering sports-related anime episodes and series (no pun intended, as I have watched the first episode of Eyeshield 21 and will recap it to celebrate the Seahawks' victory in the Super Bowl, including one of our boys from Lebanon here in Oregon). I hope to get it written and posted before the week is out.

In the meantime, here's a piece of anime news regarding Toonami. Black Lagoon and Blue Exorcist are being added to the lineup starting in March, when Soul Eater concludes its run. Ironic that I joke about the latter in my new recap and it gets added to the lineup. To elaborate, I have mixed feelings about that addition. While the paranormal fascinates me, especially in anime; I don't feel that Blue Exorcist offers anything I haven't seen before in Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, or the Monogatari series; and doesn't offer
anything in characterization from the premise that I couldn't get from other series I'm following.

Black Lagoon, on the other hand, looks more promising. It is a series about a group of Somalian pirates who kidnap a man and get him wrapped up in their pillaging and plundering. It is a dark series, but I feel it's one that I could actually get invested in rather than turned off by (see: Future Diary, Code Geass R2, and we will be opening those doors again); since I like it when TV tackles modern issues with that kind of hand.

Well, I'm going to get to work on writing the recap of "Kanga Games" as quickly as I can. This year will see many more recaps, including some of my favorite Johto fillers, my first recaps of Best Wishes, and sports anime covering baseball, basketball, and racing among chief events (including From Humble Beginnings of the first two episodes of Speed Racer, as well as a certain mecha racing series I was very disappointed by). See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment