Saturday, November 29, 2014

Recap: Aipom and Circumstance

Hello again. Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have arrived; the highly-anticipated remakes of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire. Once again, I am investing quite a bit of time in Hoenn; as I did when I was 11.


While I have recapped a few bad episodes of the AG saga (textbook example: A Double Dilemma); I thought I’d do something different and recap one I liked; one that I saw when I got back into the franchise as a teenager. So, let’s open up “Aipom and Circumstance!”


We open on everyone having lunch, including a then-early look at the Diamond and Pearl games, Munchlax.


Munchlax! (Translation: I'm hypoglycemic! Sue me!)
We then see the eponymous Aipom in a crown of flowers. While in the Japanese version, this is where we learn Aipom is female; while in English, we don’t find that out till “Steamboat Willies,” which I may recap next year (as I had things I wanted to do this year, but life got in the way).








Aipom, less than pleased with Ash’s affection for Pikachu (which comes and goes as a plot point); decides to take Ash’s hat as if she were displeased with IGN’s review of OR/AS.



Too much water? We'll see about that!


Everyone else points out that Aipom is good at making a fool of Ash. So is Kotaku.

We then get the Battle Frontier theme, which is an OK song; but it’s to be expected for the first Pokémon Company theme. They did get better as they went, with the current high being the XY series’ version of the Pokémon theme.

Next is our title animation, with Pikachu flipping Ash’s hat onto his head in a group shot with the others. 


The man in me will do nearly any task, and as for compensation, there is little he would ask!




They chase Aipom to a large structure where they come across another trainer named Hank. Immediately, I’m reminded of that viral video with another Hank this one brings to mind. 



I sell propane and propane accessories!


Ash introduces himself, as does Brock. They wonder what’s going on as everyone trains.


The ceremony is to pick that year’s king, who is essentially a glorified village chief to make decisions for everyone. This is a large reason why I decided to do this; because of how insane this idea is in and out of universe.



This is no basis for a system of government!



Naturally, Brock’s first desire is to use is power to get ladies. Typical.







Of course, Team Rocket seeks the crown for Giovanni; meaning he will rule over the village. That’s how they do it: if they hold onto the crown by nightfall, they will become king. 



I am very busy, as I imagine you are!

They detail what his day might be like via one of the over-the-top-staples of AG, the boss fantasy; yet more ways that Giovanni makes me feel inadequate about my own masculinity. 

Lay in bed LIKE A BOSS!




Wash his face LIKE A BOSS!






Play a game LIKE A BOSS!





Drink a brandy LIKE A BOSS!






So, to the victors go the spoils.



Big money! Big prizes! I love it!


They try to snatch it, but to their dismay, they grab Ash’s hat instead.



What the fuck is this?


Ash recovers it quite nonchalantly. Now, I must address the Donphan in the room: the voice acting. I am among the many who was dismayed with the voice cast change; but the Pokémon Company cast grew on me after a while. It’s worth noting that Veronica, Rachel, Eric and the others also had to grow into their voices before they loosened up. So, while they did get better with each passing season; for now, it’s one of the biggest cases of dull surprise I’ve dealt with.



Obviously, you've never played Yu-Gi-Oh.




Aipom has the crown, and actually pulls down her eyelid and sticks out her tongue at everyone.


The fanbase's reaction to IGN's average review of OR/AS.



She even puts on the crown, as it turns out anyone or anything can take part. It’s that kind of episode; just go with it.



He must be a king. "Why?"




Hank then takes out his Nosepass to navigate with via some conspicuous CGI.



Provided by OLM's Wii.

Pikachu and Aipom are headed for the bluffs; where everyone reunites with Ash. 

Then, it turns out the crown is stuck on Aipom!


Get some butter!




Even though it means staying around the village for a year, Ash will not leave Aipom behind; citing she’s part of their family. I agree with that, and the bond they share is genuine.



She's one of us! No one gets left behind!


Team Rocket wants the crown still, and their latest plan involves a Nintendo controller of some sort.



Now you're playing with power!


Also, Jessie standing in front of CGI roses just seems funny to me.



I know you like to think that review don't stink, but lean in little bit closer, see, roses really smell like poopoo!



It involves a horde of robotic Fearow out to grab the crown.



Buzzsaw, transform!


They send them after Ash and the others; with an attack pattern that reminds me of Birdemic.



Where's my coat hanger?




Meowth tells them to “save it for another show.” Yeah! I’d expect this from Yokai Watch, not a classy show like this!






Even so, Ash trying to sound concerned is hampered by Sarah Natochenny stretching the “Acting” part of “voice acting.” She got better later, but the bulk of the actors were initially chosen for their ability to replicate their seniors than for ability. 



I'M TRAPPED IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!



Ash then sends out Swellow, who does a good job initially trying to fend off the
robotic Fearow.
And in the air! Jr. Birdman! Missed me!



Aipom uses Double Team to throw off the horde even further.


Fun as a barrel full of me!

Still, they just keep coming; those tin turkeys! Ash and Pikachu get into a game of tug-of-war with one of them!


Gimme my friend, you rude crude bag of pre-chewed food!


Hank then decides to use his Nosepass to throw off the Fearow!


Eat my dust, birdbrain!


As Meowth tries to jigger the controls; he is dismayed that it’s “not like watching reruns.”



You try surfing through your Netflix queue with 3 fingers sometime!


Even so, they’re sent blasting off once again! 


Everyone tries to get the crown off by nightfall, to no avail. 


This is a bigger disappointment than The Amazing Spider-Man 2!



Hank offers one more solution to Aipom: a Belu Berry to eat.



It's 100% Organic!




Sure enough, it tastes so awful that Aipom’s thrashing shakes off the crown into Hank’s hands! 


I am the mac daddy of the Kanto region!


With this, Hank is declared king to Ash and Pikachu’s satisfaction!





“Aipom and Circumstance” is a fun little entry into the Advanced Generation. While it does have some iffy voice acting, the plot is delightfully silly rather than ingratiatingly stupid like in “A Double Dilemma.” The animation, save for the dodgy CGI is also good for its time. With this, it’s probably going to be the last recap for a while. I do have a couple things I want to do for Christmas that I wanted to last year; and one thing that I plan to close out 2014 with. You’ll just have to wait and see what it is. See you, space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment