Friday, November 6, 2015

Recap: The Dancing Digimon

Hello again. It seems that early US sales and reviews for Yo-Kai Watch are surprisingly favorable; even given how the game has launched amid a season filled with a myriad of anticipated titles. I can’t be sure how things will be in the long term; especially as my data is based on checking online review sites and Nintendo eShop (as physical sales will more than likely have Call of Duty: Black Ops III lead by a country mile; Activision’s whoring be damned).


So, I still don’t plan on doing any more Yo-Kai Watch right away. Rather, I shall take the opportunity to illustrate how some competitors of Pokémon were once everywhere; then nowhere just as quickly. Also, I’ve mentioned I wanted to do this recap for Halloween; but I was ill and busy with schoolwork. Now, however; I can finally get this out. So, let’s open up “The Dancing Digimon” and see another part of the fandom rivalries I’ve been engaged with in the past!


Again, we open on a “previously-on” recap of a prior episode involving Mimi and Izzy having to work together to get out of a maze. I’m personally not doing that one, as I don’t have enough material to give it a recap. Besides; I like it enough that I don’t think a positive recap or even a good-natured ribbing is necessary. 


Then, we once again get that great electro theme song; a tune that easily signaled the end of the 90s and the beginning of the 2000s. Gives me chills every time I hear it. 


We open on Devimon sending out his minions to stop the Digidestined. Not merely being satisfied with separating them; he wants to defeat them individually so they can’t reunite File Island! That’s actually a nice tactic: to undermine the teamwork of one’s enemies by not only separating them, but demoralizing them as well.




We cut to Joe, my favorite member of the Digidestined lamenting his seasickness as he quips that “beds don’t make good boats.”


I haven't felt this bad since the last time I watched Yo-Kai Watch!

Gomamon has unfortunately eaten all the rations; leaving the bag as empty as a theater showing Jem and the Holograms! Joe, of course, reams out Gomamon for this.


You fool, the packaging said PER SERVING!

Yet, he seemingly has the dry heaves as he continues to vomit off the side of the bed. Please, you could show him his role int he movie and it would have the same effect.

Then, who should show up in a crate but Ogremon in a foul humor! 

Your package of Ogremon has arrived!
Joe, of course, is less than pleased about this encounter.


Look, when I said I wanted to die in bed; I kind of meant my own!



Get on my back, Atreyu- I mean Joe!


Yet, they end up getting fished out by Sora; who was trying catch dinner herself. He’s even delirious as he tries to recover from almost drowning.


Oh Queen Amidala, let me live in your castle on Naboo!
When he comes to, Sora and Gomamon suggest him being an interim leader to help boost his morale. Joe is unsure of the idea.


Me a leader? I can't even tie my shoelaces! You have any idea how hard it is to find velcro Jack Purcells in my size?


Yet, after some encouragement; he does decide to lead them. 


By the power of Skullgreymon, I HAVE THE POWER!
They come across a creepy church in the middle of the island. Joe quickly deduces where there’s a party, there’s bound to be food!




Even amid all the spooky imagery; Sora pushes her “leader” further. 


Go on, you goony! Take a look!



Then, everyone is led into the church itself by a very suspicious looking priest.

Aside from the cheap Halloween mask; his speech patterns are just a step above Torgo in articulation.


There IS no way OUT of here. It WILL be DARK soon. There is NO way out of HERE.

Of course, there’s a reason for that: he’s really a Bakemon! In hindsight; that’s actually a pretty clever way of introducing westerners to one of the Japanese terms for monster, “Bakemono.” Also, little side note; I want to finish Bakemonogatari so I can work on the other Monogatari series as well. Definitely would recommend them. 


Forgetting you is the thing that I'd rather do...

It turns out the church is full of Bakemon, as they were the guests in disguise! Joe and Sora run from the premises as a result! 


Well, good thing my trousers are brown!

The Digimon try to fight, but they’re out of energy from a lack of food!

Then; Joe and Sora are captured and taken back inside to be eaten by the Bakemon!


I'm not supposed to die like this! I'm supposed to die licking whipped cream off Carrie-Anne Moss's fingertips!

They’re also taken in Gomamon and Biyomon, presumably to be made into seconds! They start formulating a way out!

First I plan to soil myself, then come up with another plan!
Of course, things are much easier since they’re only left in with one inept guard! “I’m just going to leave them in an easily escapable situation and assume the whole thing went to plot!”

They trick one of the Bakemon into giving them some food; then bust out the door with their regained strength just as the other Bakemon are performing some sort of rite to make the Digidestined taste better! 


We, Bakemon, beseech thee to make our new movies hits, unlike that crappy one from 2000!

Ikkakumon and Birdramon then rescue Joe and Sora; but the next step is stopping Bakemon! Joe decides to try a chant of sorts to stop him. Also, I have watched the Japanese version for a frame of reference, so I thought I’d let you know that it is indeed different depending on which version you watch.

To give it a boost, Joe then borrows Sora’s hat to use as a makeshift drum! Yeah, it’s weird like that. Sometimes it’s a helmet, other times it’s all squishy. This is the former.



Sure enough, Bakemon is now cowering before the combined might of Ikkakumon and Birdramon, as if he were just another guy just waiting to be run in by these Scoobies.


I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and your Digimon!

Also, I know I keep mentioning this; but all the fashions in this anime seem very ‘90s. Sora here appears to be sporting a variant of the Rachel haircut with her hat off.


With the day saved; Joe and Sora then vow to find their friends and send Devimon back where he came from! 


Joe and Sora will return in Captain America: Civil War.



“The Dancing Digimon” is one of the better episodes in the early days of Digimon Adventure; consisting of several episodes where the Digidestined must reunite with each other and reunite File Island as well. This episode has enough of a genuinely scary atmosphere and solid animation to make a fun way to closeout my lapsed Halloween festivities. As such, I will definitely be working on another recap to illustrate how competition in the industry is nothing new; and how Yo-Kai Watch is just another newcomer in a crowded market even if I’m not doing any more of Yo-Kai Watch itself right away. See you, space cowboy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment