Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Pokémon Generation VIII Rumor Mill, other goings-on.

Hey everyone. I've been real busy with my screenwriting class lately, but I have been pleased with some of the content I've been able to put out despite my technology setbacks. I definitely want to get more out, including an experimental style for my next few recaps. Plus, my cat Rocket is getting surgery done; I hope that goes well.

Even though my gym battle showcase probably doesn't seem feasible right now under these conditions, I thought I would try something different for this post: addressing the rumor mill spinning for Pokémon Generation VIII, currently in development for the Nintendo Switch.

While precise details have been scarce compared to previous generations, it cannot be denied the promise of the game in itself has created considerable amounts of hype. The concrete details that I have personally been able to pin down are that the game will be released in the window of 2018 to early 2019 as per statements made by creators such as Tsunekazu Ishihara, who has been instrumental to the series since it began. Additionally, there is an open world concept on the table that is influenced by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. As someone who loves that game, I am very excited for this prospect (it was a good game for the Wii U to go out on, and an ideal one to lead off for the Switch; which I definitely plan to start saving up for soon).

Other rumors have already been debunked, such as a handful of supposed new starter Pokémon being outed as fakes on at least two occasions. So, for the sake of argument, I will just give my thoughts on the information that has not yet been confirmed or disconfirmed yet. I'm no quartermaster, but I will do my best as someone who usually doesn't actively speculate like this.

I definitely don't know if the game will be a full remake of the original Red and Blue, especially as someone who never played Fire Red or Leaf Green and has no plans to. It's possible, and I would have no problem with it, but I think it will most likely be a completely new experience that takes place in the same continuity but could also work as a launching-on point for newcomers; like the new God of War that just came out. I can't totally be sure about the leaked screenshots either, but I do like the idea of expanding the ride Pokémon feature from Generation VII in lieu of the HMs from before. I can definitely imagine the graphics will look excellent, and differences in using the console in portable mode and home mode won't bother me personally. I still play a lot of games from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, after all. I also like the idea of a potential new battle system. I definitely am not sure about any comparisons to the Digimon World games as someone who never played them, but the turn-based combat being changed to a more "active" combat style like in Pokkén Tournament could potentially work. Overall, I submit that we have done console-level 3D RPGs in the series before with Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, we can definitely do it again (especially since those games are high on my list for this potential Gamecube Virtual Console).

So, regardless of when the game comes out; I will have plenty to talk about in my final year of this blog; and my plan is to get my 3DS repaired, then start saving up for a Switch and get my computer repaired. I'm also going out of town next month and going to see Avengers: Infinity War this weekend, so I will hope to have some content out to start these experiments if I can. That's all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment