Friday, May 25, 2018

Recap: Getting the Band Back Together

Alola, everyone! Even though the experiments that I've been doing still may not be as elaborate as my usual stuff, I am overall pleased with how they've turned out. By the time you see this recap; I will be going on vacation in Lihue, Kau'ai, Hawaii! So, in honor of this occasion, I thought I would do an episode of the Sun and Moon series of Pokémon I've been wanting to for a while. Don't worry, I do have a solid idea of what episodes I want to do before I retire this year. For now, though; let's open up "Getting the Band Back Together!"

We open on a live show from "DugLeo," which is a group that combines DJ Leo with his Alolan Dugtrio, whose parts are named Ashley, Jessica, and Michael; no doubt named for Ashley and Jessica Simpson as well as Michael Jackson. Here's the obligatory Avengers clip.

Captain America: I understood that reference.
















After Professor Kukui and Ash meet everyone else inside, they decide to put on a bunch of festive wigs that resemble the hair of the Alolan Dugtrio. Ash is also particularly amused when Roto tells him about the difference between them and the Kantonian Dugtrio, as I am.







Elsewhere, Team Rocket is trying to sell other kinds of wigs, to no avail. I just get a kick out of Meowth's pompadour, Wobbuffet's bald cap, Jessie's striped afro and James' judge wig. There are also some other hairstyles on their shelf, some of which resemble those of other characters from the series, such as Brock and the OR/AS design for May.








While Team Rocket has an ulterior motive for the Alolan Dugtrio, Kiawe is thoroughly moved by the show. His reaction while wearing the wig now means I can officially use this clip!




It also turns out that not only does Kukui know Leo, but Dugtrio has picked up a fangirl in the form of an Alolan Diglett! Not only does she totally adore Dugtrio, but Roto even donates his "Alolan Detective Lucky" wig so she can join the fun. While Leo has trouble trying to record new material, a suspicious group of "record producers" absconds with Dugtrio before he can say or do anything else! They claim that Dugtrio agreed, but this seems suspect. You were expecting maybe Sug Knight?




The next day, Ash and Kukui find out about Dugtrio's disappearance, and decide to investigate. Using Rockruff, they're able to track their scent to Team Rocket's "talent agency," which is little more than a dingy shack on the other side of the beach! 

I must say, I do find it amusing how Meowth is freestyling before he's found out. Bet his rap album is pretty explicit.

Also, as Ash and Kukui chastise them for essentially kidnapping Dugtrio, I notice they just have it tied to a rope when the floor is made of sand. What could possibly go wrong? 

Surprise surprise! Dugtrio is able to slip out of its bonds while they're boasting. I just love their reaction here. It resembles an old style Japanese painting.




Moreover, the "Tangling Hair" ability doesn't just reduce an opponent's speed like in the games, it's also able to be used for attacks like BoBoBo or Bayonetta! I love the former show, definitely plan on getting all three games of the latter when I get a Switch.


With one final Tri Attack, Team Rocket is thrown through the roof of their shack and into the arms of Bewear! That beast has found increasingly crazy ways of grabbing them, especially as I'm catching up on the subs.



With the fangirl Diglett now joining in on the fun, now the group of DugLeo can keep the beats coming! He's a DJ Hero!





This will probably be my last recap until I come back from vacation in early June; but I am pleased with how the experiments have turned out this month. I had already practiced with something similar with my look at FLCL and the Victini movies last year. Likewise, "Getting the Band Back Together" is another gleeful entry in the Sun and Moon series. Between the totally bonkers use of what's one of my favorite Alolan forms and the fluid, colorful animation, it was a perfect way to take a break from things while I go to Lihue and go see Solo. On that note, I leave you with this image of Lana and her sisters Harper and Sara dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment