Tuesday, March 17, 2020

My Thoughts on a potential live-action "Pokémon" TV series.

Hey fellas, I am working on some of my next posts; but a lot has been on my mind lately outside this blog. So, while I am in the midst of this “social distancing” scene; I thought I would give you something that I’ve found out about.

According to We Got This Covered, HBO is in the midst of developing a live-action “Pokémon” TV series for their upcoming HBO Max streaming service. Though not much is known at this early stage, it will be a sort of big-budget “re-imagining” of the series focusing on the central cast of Ash, Misty; Brock and Pikachu. Though I am not sure what will happen, given how for every reboot that works; there are others that do not. So, I could go either way.

On that note, I am glad that even given the rocky track record live-action video game and anime adaptations have had; things are starting to get better. American superhero comic books were littered with years if not decades of terrible adaptations before they started getting really good.
In particular, last year’s “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” showed it can work; as with this year’s “Sonic the Hedgehog” proving to be marked improvements in terms of critical and commercial success. Likewise, this franchise has proven it can successfully re-imagine the concept; as shown with the many of the recent anime movies and TV episodes. I’ve also really enjoyed how OVAs such as “Origins,” “Generations” and now “Twilight Wings” have handled this universe. Whether or not this series wants to directly adapt the stories of the original series or go a different direction, I welcome it; given HBO’s track record for high-quality in-house TV series. If all else fails, I can’t imagine it being worse than the likes of “Dragonball Evolution,” Netflix’s “Death Note” or the 2017 “Ghost in the Shell.”

So, if the right cast and creative team can get behind the series; I will definitely be interested to see how it turn out. “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” will also be coming to HBO Max and HBO networks; so as I use the time indoors from the recent outbreak of COVID-19, or novel coronavirus (don’t worry, I haven’t caught it), I leave you with a mantra I’ve taken to heart lately that I hope serves you well: stay safe, reject fear, embrace facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment