Sunday, October 24, 2021

Shaman King (2021) First Impressions.

Well, this is interesting: I was expecting/hoping for/would have been fine with an uncut and subtitled release of the original, but instead; this anime is getting a full-on new adaptation directly from the manga. As a fan of the material and the previous anime, here are my first impressions on the 2021 version of Shaman King! The version I watched was the Japanese subtitled one (which I usually do when introducing myself to a new series); I will likely watch the dub later. So, let's get this started.


Promotional poster for the series.



While the original manga was not yet complete at the time of the original anime's airing; this one is a direct to manga adaptation. In many respects, watching the original is akin to watching the 2003 version of Fullmetal Alchemist; while watching this one is akin to watching Brotherhood.

With that in mind, the show does a decent job of staying true to the original manga. Though it's been a while since I've read it (especially the early chapters), I remember it quite well. The first episode, "The Boy Who Dances With Ghosts" does a good job of establishing the world, characters and the role of a shaman in the story. Though some commentators bemoaned the approach it took, I actually find this anime's fidelity to the manga and stark contrast to other series with a similar premise kind of refreshing. It's not like there are no dark moments, it's just this one uses them differently. 

Moving onto the second episode, "Another Shaman," it does a decent job of introducing Tao Ren, a rival Shaman and one of the first rivals of the series. Much like Vegeta, Hiei from YuYu Hakusho and many others; he starts out as antagonistic before later becoming an ally; and his partner Bason definitely makes an impression on some gangsters. "To show you the power of Bason- I CUT THIS CAR IN HALF!"

Anyway, after Yoh Asakura wins his first fight with Ren, we're introduced to his fiancee Anna Kyoyama; leading us into the events of the next episode, "Anna and Tao Jun." Admittedly, I was not expecting the confrontation would be this quick as a prelude to the first tournament arc, but I was kind of amused by the screening of "Lee Pyron" in "Strike of Fury" they took in during a training break. Name kind of reminds me of Darkstalkers.  Yoh's classmate Manta is also into Lee Pyron. Personally, I just saw the new Venom. Dune and Bond; working on getting tickets to Halloween Kills; but you do you. This also leads to another engagement with Ren's older sister Tao Jun, who happens to have Pyron as her spirit partner. Though, given the appearance resembles a Jiangshi, maybe it's more like Hsien-Ko than Pyron. I guess I must have Darkstalkers on my mind right now.

After that, the next episode is "Happy Place," where a local punk named "Wooden Sword" Ryu and his gang make a hideout in abandoned bowling alley known as "Funbari Bowling." He also unsuccessfully attempts to chide Anna for "living in sin" and come onto her; to no avail as he finds out about the arranged marriage and Anna turns Ryu down. Though, Yoh does at least buy Ryu a replacement wooden sword after the events of the previous episode. Again, I'm kind of surprised they accelerated Togakeroh's takeover of Ryu this quickly; but they do a solid job at showing why Ryu turns to a power he doesn't fully understand. Sure enough, Togakeroh takes the wheel; stabs Ryu's colleague "Muscle Punch;" and has a beef with Amidamaru. Of course, his attempts to blackmail him don't exactly work; but that doesn't matter as long as he has a shot at taking down Amidamaru. I would have liked to have seen him actually raid the museum for Harusume, but the ensuing fight does stay tonally close to the manga at the very least. Again, it's been a while since I've read these chapters; but once I saw what was going down, I did recognize these events.

Before I finish, one complaint I've sporadically seen and kind of have to scoff at is some questioning why this version hasn't taken more cues from modern takes... while simultaneously admitting they didn't read the manga. To which I respond: why would that be necessary? Personally, I like when a series can be revisited and more faithfully adapted when previous versions were limited by the time they came out (or, in the case of some versions of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; considered such a travesty the publisher had them quite literally destroyed).

So, with that, let's wrap this up with episode 5; "Over Soul," in which Yoh is given a trial by Silva before he can enter the Shaman Fight. It picks up roughly where the previous episode left off, with Ryu temporarily staying at Yoh and Anna's place to make up for his transgressions. Harusume has also been reforged since then, but Yoh is now the one that must wield it (it's a plot thread I've seen before, but it works). Again, kind of surprised the first tournament arc is being set up this quick; but I am rather amused by Amidamaru sparring with the essence of his friend Mosuke. It gets a similar effect on me the memetic handshake in "Predator" does.

Overall, while this approach is not entirely what I was expecting; I do think this anime is a good adaptation at this stage on its own and as a fan of the original manga. I'm at least willing to see the remainder of this volume and the next course whenever it gets officially released. I just thought I would start this weeklong leadup to Halloween, since another anime I've been considering talking about didn't fare nearly as well. That's all for now, and take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment