Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Couple Anime News Tidbits.

Hey guys. I took the notes and screencaps for the next Code Geass R2 recap late last night, and I will start writing it today. You should expect to see it posted later this week.

In the meantime, I will share a couple bits of anime news.

In the recap of Digimon: The Movie, I made a statement hoping that Saban Brands would reacquire the Digimon license and handle the planned dub of Digimon Xros Wars. Well, lo and behold, Saban has indeed done just that. As part of the new media acquisitions of Saban Brands, they have reacquired the Digimon license and they are in the process of dubbing Digimon Xros Wars. Websites such as Jefusion and Henshin Justice broke the news. It is unknown if older voice actors will return, or some of the original writing staff such as Jeff Nimoy.

Additionally, Saban intends to give the series a proper DVD release after being out of print for nearly a decade. There were some sets around the time Digimon Frontier aired in 2003, but they now command prices upwards of $600 for a sealed copy. Starting in October, the previous Digimon seasons will be released on DVD box sets; beginning with the first season of Digimon Adventure. The set is $80 for preorder on Amazon, which may seem pricey; but it's certainly a steal compared to the aforementioned $600 for a copy of the previous sets. The release will have all 54 episodes remastered with improved video and audio quality, as well as a small book telling of the story and characters of Digimon.

Elsewhere, Viz Media has licensed Tiger and Bunny, and they are currently promoting it in San Francisco, CA; with the release of Tiger and Bunny: The Beginning, a movie that tells the story of "Wild Tiger" Kotetsu before the events of the main series. Viz is making a big push with the large amount of Japanese-Americans and anime fans in the Bay Area; with the movie traveling to various sites in the city and surrounding areas. Many promotional goodies are being given out and sold as well. Most of them can only be acquired at one of the showings of the movie, but Bandai is also putting out wares for those who can't make it. Bandai is continuing their popular Tiger and Bunny line of SH Figuarts upscale action figures, with a Wild Tiger Figuarts of Kotetsu's pre-series form. Big Bad Toy Store is currently accepting preorders of the figure. The film is expected to be released on DVD not long after it leaves its limited theatrical run in the Bay Area.

That's about all I have to say. I intend to get my next Code Geass R2 recap up this week, so I need to get started writing it tonight at the latest. See you later.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking my advice and posting another news tidbits. It's been a while since I've seen Digimon; maybe Saban's recent re-acquisition of it will get me into it again, if I have time. I actually think that Digimon was better than Pokemon when I was a kid, and I can still see that sentiment. Also, would you recommend Tiger and Bunny to me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's a great anime that's influenced by western superhero comics from DC and Marvel.

      Delete