Saturday, September 29, 2012

Top 13 Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt Episodes

Hello again. Just decided to unwind from Code Geass R2 month by watching Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a series by Studio Gainax, a studio responsible for works such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. The series styles itself as a western cartoon rather than a traditional anime, drawing influence from cartoons from Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, and Man of Action.

As such, it openly skewers Western pop culture at South Park-level proportions. It is also a very raunchy series. It has plenty of action, but it also has enough profanity and suggestive content to completely contrast the cutesy art style; putting it in line with Akira and Ghost in the Shell to make a case for adult animation.

So, I am going to list my Top 13 favorite episodes of the series, based on all 26 vignettes that make up the show's run.

13. Excretion Without Honor and Humanity

I put this one pretty low because of how the show gets much better later on, but it's still a great example of what it can do. The first "Ghost" that Panty and Stocking fight is a sentient pile of poo that had been sucking the people of Daten City in through their toilets. This episode wastes no time in subverting expectations for the rest of the series, as Panty's first act establishes her as a "village bicycle", and Stocking has an obsession with sweet foods that it's a wonder she hasn't shouted "FEED ME!" in the same manner as Audrey II. By the time they get to their pole-dancing transformation sequence, you have been fully entrenched in this series.

12. Sex and the Daten City

This episode follows Panty and Stocking promoting a movie that they were making together, and Panty accidentally reveals that she starred in an adult film. Panty then sets out to destroy all copies of it, effectively doing what George Lucas wishes he could do with The Star Wars Holiday Special. Like that case however, the film is then put on YouTube, where everyone can see it; as retaliation for Panty deciding to edit Stocking out of the picture. As part of the second episode, it makes it even clearer what this show's intentions are.

11. The Diet Syndrome

It was promptly established that Stocking loves sweets, and she then makes an attempt to lose weight when she gains several unwanted pounds. She soon balloons to a cross between Eric Cartman and Tetsuo's final form in Akira, albeit with Shin Chan's voice. The cause is revealed to be a Ghost that uses a fluid that comes out of her to fill Stocking's favorite type of cake, causing anyone who eats it to gain massive amounts of weight. This episode manages to cross the line on the subject of food problems back over again from being touchy to offensive to funny.

10. The Runny/Raiders of the Nasal Dark

A nose-picking craze erupts over the citizens of Daten City, caused by a tycoon called Oscar H. Genius. He promptly invites the citizens on his blimp; but the trip turns sour when he is revealed to be a Ghost who wants to use their nosebleeds from their dried-out noses to crash into the moon. It is then discovered that Angel boogers will produce a great sneeze that will rocket them back to earth when placed in Oscar's nose, and Brief, a nerdy "Geek Boy" in a Ghostbusters flight suit; has a supply ready for such an occasion. Another case of the show making a name for itself in the childlike glee of bodily humor; it rises to make the top 10.

9. Transhormers

This episode is a sendup of the Transformers franchise. Not just stuff that's common knowledge, like G1 and the live-action movies; but it manages to fit in just about everything in the franchise's 28-year history. There are parts that take off the 1986 movie, Transformers Animated, Transformers Headmasters, Transformers Vitctory, Zone, and Master Force and even some stuff on the original toys that Transformers was based on, Microman and Diaclone. The voice actors even put in uncanny performances of veteran TF voice actors Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, the late Chris Latta, and narrator Victor Caroli. Definitely a prime showcase at the effort put into the parodies and homages in this show.

8. ...Of The Dead

In this sendup of the more traditional type of zombie films, Panty and Stocking are assigned as honorary police chiefs for a day and come across a town overrun by zombie Ghosts, meaning their usual weapons of enchanted undergarments are useless. There's just something about seeing people fight zombies with vibrators that is utterly hilarious and over-the-top.

7.  High School Nudical

A "lingerie run" (a fun run with the participants doing so in their underwear) is taking place one night at Daten High School, and Panty and Stocking participate (as well as an unwilling Brief) at the moment an "underwear connoisseur" Ghost arrives to gobble up the skivvies of the students. With their weapons on the fritz, Panty and Stocking are forced to improvise with the students' chonies, with varying degrees of success and an ending of underwear falling from the sky.

6. Vomiting Point

This is an episode that a lot of people remember when they talk about this series. It doesn't feature Panty and Stocking all that much, it mostly focuses on a salaryman in Little Tokyo, which neighbors Daten City. That alone is a factor in people talking about this episode, but it also bears a more realistic art style; in line with the work of the late Satoshi Kon and Studio 4-C. It also bears similarities with the Powerpuff Girls episode "Town and Out", where the girls move to a more realistic city; and the fourth episode of Gurren Lagann, which had a different lead animator then the bulk of the series and looked rougher and more simplistic as a result. Both that Gurren Lagann episode and this one caused many fans to remember the episode well. Some reacted negatively to this episode, but I enjoyed it enough, much like the aforementioned Gurren Lagann episode, to include it in this list.

5. Les Diaboliques

This was the point when the show truly got good, as it is when Demon Sisters Scanty and Kneesocks were introduced. With a pair of recurring villains now in place, Panty and Stocking would now have a pair to compete against. They fight back against the rules Scanty and Kneesocks attempt to put in place, and clash with them for the remainder of the show. It was also the point where it truly found its balance between pop culture references, humor, and action.

4. 1 Angry Ghost

This episode centers around Panty and Stocking being accused of murdering a Ghost called Mr. Husband, as his wife Mrs. Wife mourns. They are brought on a game show called Judgment Day to stand trial for their offense. The episode is also largely drawn in that sort of "off-model for the sake of conveying emotion" art style, and I like it that way. There is also a monkey lawyer who gets an intelligence boost into a Phoenix Wright clone. It's just an all-around creative experience.

3. Ghost: The Phantom of Daten City

Stocking, looking for love, comes across a Ghost who is a boorish, unkempt slob. Naturally, she is smitten with him, and they hit it off. This episode is largely a sendup of the 1990 film Ghost, and the vocal performance of the Ghost resembles that of Patrick Swayze, who sadly lost a battle with pancreatic cancer in 2009. The episode comes off having a very touching subtext to it, as rather than be destroyed in the traditional live-action explosion, the Ghost is allowed to rest in peace and rise to the afterlife instead.

2. Once Upon a Time in Garterbelt

This episode revolves around Panty and Stocking wondering about Garterbelt, given how he always frowns upon their doings. They sneak into his room and discover his diary, which tells of him once being a drug lord before being forced to live throughout recorded history until he agreed to become a missionary for God. It manages to be a good look at the man's life, throughout centuries of space and time; drawn in a sort of UPA/Jay Ward/Hanna-Barbera style to boot. Even so, Panty and Stocking fall asleep throughout Garterbelt's tale; making a humorous end to his story.

1. Nothing to Room

I know what you all are thinking. "One of the last episodes?" "The one where it's just the girls sitting in a room for 15 minutes, waiting for dinner?" My answer is, yes. Yes it is. There is something that is referred to as a bottle episode,  when a TV series makes an episode on existing sets with just the actors on hand to keep costs down. In a sense, they managed to make the episode very funny and well-animated; even with something as simple as focusing on one shot in their living room. There are some people who can make reading out of the phone book funny. This is what has been done with Nothing to Room. It produced, in my opinion, the best episode of the series.

So that's my list. I am working on getting the DVD Funimation put out, which includes all the episodes both dubbed and subtitled. As for what I'll do for my next recap: I'll have to think about it. I have something in mind, but I will probably have to watch it again to make sure it will be an entertaining read. Right now, I must get some sleep.

12 comments:

  1. Now, here's the million dollar question: What did you think of the ending? And if so, do you think a second season will be made? I don't know if you'll like the dub of Nothing to Room, because there's a very controversial joke that was written into there. You'll probably point it out once you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the dub of Nothing to Room, so I must have missed it. The ending, which I will not spoil in case I get any more followers, reminded me of the ones to Seven and The Big Lebowski; and I liked how they threw us like that. There's a possibility of a second season, but Gainax is currently busy with other projects; so it may take a while. I think I'll watch the last couple dub episodes soon, then get started on Medaka Box. I have an idea of what I want to recap next, and it will be a surprise.

      Delete
  2. Maybe it was for the best that you missed it. Actually, I already know what the ending is, so you don't have to worry. OK, I'm not going to ask what the next recap is, but I just want to know if it will come out sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably will. I've chosen something I've wanted to take a look at for some time.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats are both coming to Toonami next Saturday. Are you hyped? Now I'll get a second chance to watch those, provided that my parents don't make me go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm game. Both shows really seemed to attract a teenage and young adult audience, so this may give them a second chance. We did like Big O so much that we actually got Japan to fund a second season, after all.

      Delete
  4. For Thundercats, maybe it'll come back. I'm not certain if it will, but maybe it'll attract a new fanbase on there, even if it's late at night. As for Sym-Bionic Titan, well, I'm sorry to say it, but I think new episodes won't be produced, on account of Genndy Tartakovsky being at Sony now (he just directed Hotel Transylvania). But maybe this time, I'll finally be able to watch it on television. Say, what shows would you like to see on Toonami? I'm predicting they'll do a new lineup once Casshern Sins is over, and when their reruns of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood dry up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Piece, Binbogami Ga!, Fairy Tail, Soul Eater, Bakuman, maybe Toriko. I haven't seen Deadman Wonderland, and I'm on the fence on whether or not I should watch it. As for Casshern Sins: it's certainly much darker than the Casshern I remember. I'd also like it if they started showing anime movies from time to time again.

      Delete
  5. Those do sound like good choices, though I'm not certain if each one will work out, due to length. I mean, I have no idea if Bleach is even done with airing new episodes on there yet. Soul Eater might be a good choice, though I am surprised that it hasn't aired on TV yet. I think you might like Deadman Wonderland, though it's on hiatus at the moment. I had no idea that this Casshern Sins wasn't the only one. Was he a lot lighter back in your youth? I mean, this is the first time I've even heard of that franchise. And hey, what are your thoughts on Samurai 7 and Eureka Seven? The only change I'm iffy about is airing Cowboy Bebop again, even though I will watch it someday. Though I do expect them to change out once that's done airing, which'll probably be in 13 weeks, I think? And hey, I hope Williams Street does acquire new animes for 2013. It's a miracle that Toonami has been on for who knows how many weeks now, and yes, I've tried my best to watch it every week, in glorious HD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frankly haven't seen either of those. I haven't even seen the movies they represent (Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, as well as the Western remake The Magnificent Seven), though I've been meaning to. Cowboy Bebop is a great series. It's one of the classic anime from the earlier days of Toonami and Adult Swim. I recommend it. I also like Trigun, and hoping that it returns to TV as well (it's also seen as a classic, as it has sold well on DVD and been a popular series on Netflix for Instant Streaming). I'll check out the manga of Deadman Wonderland, then the series.

      Delete
  6. Panty and Stocking sounds like a good candidate for Toonami. I remember seeing an [adult swim] bump teasing that they would show this on the initial lineup along with Dubstep and Inuyasha (it's just Williams Street being theirselves; I don't take them seriously at all). But I ask, how would they be able to show it uncensored? Then again, it would also be represenative of all the weird programming [as] does show, and some comedy would be good for the block. Though it will divide some people, but hey, if Funimation actually wants it to air on there, then let 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They might be able to get away with it in the watershed timeslot of the new Toonami. Some TV networks have guidelines on when certain words can be said and certain acts can be shown; so it could work. The newer South Park episodes have even had so much of such content in them that the older ones got bumped down to a TV14 rather than the TVMA of the current ones. As for my next recap, I've started writing it; but it may take a while. I've written three pages and I'm not even a third of the way through the episode I chose. That, and I've taken more screencaps for it than I did with the one on the Digimon movie. I'll post a quick update on it in a moment.

      Delete