Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Recap: Endless 8 Part 6

We're winding down, but this is how it goes: Kyon is watching a game he doesn't care about. Haruhi calls him and tells him to come to the station with a swimsuit and lots of money. Kyon wonders how he knew about this. I skip the theme song and put on music I like.

At the station, Haruhi says they're going to the public pool. At the pool, Haruhi ignores clearly-marked "No Diving" signs as Kyon gets the strange feeling again.
Kyon claims it's more of a communal pool.


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.






Haruhi decides to play water polo, and hurls a beach ball at Mikuru. This time, Kyon screams! It is a great scream, and others watching this agree. It's a natural reaction to watching this
arc, too.

Haruhi tells of the plan at the restaurant over drink
, I take a big swig of mine.

Kyon talks to Yuki as she walks home. Wow. I have gotten so good at seeing all the details coming that I managed to recap the first 7 1/2 minutes in a little under six paragraphs.  We only have a little over 2 episodes left, so I will get through this as quickly as I can.

They shop for Yukatas, and Kyon loves Mikuru's best. This is beyond tedious. It's almost as grating as the complete version of Trapped in the Closet. This next song is more tolerable.



It's the Bon festival again, Kyon realizes he's been there before.

Yuki buys another superhero mask, and this time she moves it to the side of her head after correctly getting it on her face. I wonder what her view is on the sinister purpose behind aglets.

 Haruhi gives Kyon a piece of takoyaki, and they decide to set off fireworks again. I have blown through the first 10 minutes of your 6th go-round, Kyoto Animation. Your cruel mistreatment of your fans cannot win!


 So, they do the fireworks. Kyon asks about the summer homework; and Haruhi says she did hers in 3 days. I've had a good lunch and another liter of Code Red; I can get through this real fast. 


 Now it's gotten to the part with the cicada-catching again. Now, many viewers, myself included, have expressed sympathy for fans disappointed with the Endless 8 who watched these episodes as they air. I'm not the only one that hated the show this time; this arc singlehandedly ignited a backlash against Haruhi Suzumiya and the moe character type as a whole. Even the Disappearance movie couldn't keep the franchise afloat for a third season.

 Haruhi won again, Kyon makes the Pandora's box analogy again. Incredible. I watched Elfen Lied a while ago, and I'm about halfway through it. And you know what? An anime about a diclonus and a look at the human condition had more jokes in it than an anime about Haruhi Suzumiya? Do you understand this?! I find superpowered young women ripping each other apart and making people that cross them explode funnier than the antics of a high school-aged god figure! You have done something seriously wrong with this arc, Kyoto Animation! Bravo!

It's these damn frogs again! This is seriously getting on my nerves! This next song is from a much funnier use of a frog puppet.



 Kyon again compares the work to a mecha series. Word of advice to you, and all budding filmmakers: don't reference a good work in your shitty work. Remember when Laserblast took a shot at Star Wars? Star Wars became one of the most beloved films of all time and people only really know about Laserblast from the MST3K version. How about when Warriors of Virtue took a shot at Power Rangers? Power Rangers is celebrating its 20th season, and nobody really knows about Warriors of Virtue (ironically, that joke also served to pinpoint the film as one of the most blatant Power Rangers knockoffs in cinematic history). Even now, Sony tried to sell their Playstation Vita by claiming it has more than just Mario games; conveniently ignoring that Super Mario 3D Land has sold over 6 million copies, over a third of the 3DS' user base, and has outsold the entire catalog of Vita games (not one of which has broken 1 million units).

Once again, the pay is the suits. This time, Kyon cannot even emote at this development. If I didn't before, if I were Kyon, this would be the point where I tried to strangle Haruhi; kind of like how Shinji tried to strangle Asuka in End of Evangelion. Yes, I'm definitely finishing Evangelion and watching End of Evangelion when I'm done. I've only been able to see it on YouTube and other video-sharing sites since DVDs are incredibly rare and expensive.  A used copy on Amazon goes for $250; and that's a LOW price.


 Time for the phone call in the middle of the night. And for "I Got You Babe".


Mikuru breaks down, Koizumi finishes the call and says to come to the station. Next!

Once again, Mikuru cannot return to the future. The viewers share your feelings, Mikuru.

The time has come for Koizumi's explanation of the loop again. I'm sparing you so you won't have to put up with this nonsense.



Once again, Kyon cannot believe Koizumi can say something like that with a smile on his face. I get the feeling he's simply trying to hide his pain.

It gets to Mikuru's part of the explanation. It feels like I'm watching her having a mental breakdown after being abused by Haruhi.

The loop resets on September 1; and they're the only ones that know it. I have gotten a lot better at keeping track of the details.

Haruhi is fully aware of what's going on, fully aware that she's torturing her acquaintances; exploiting their goodwill for her amusement. I simply cannot suspend disbelief enough to call them "friends". I have lived through a boy who's always 10 coming across mystical creatures, a rubber man who wants to be king of the pirates; and my favorite anime is one that ends with planets being used as weapons, and I cannot comprehend why they put up with Haruhi for all the hateful and near-criminal actions she commits.

Although Koizumi believes she feels regret; I am adamant in my belief that Haruhi is instead toying with them because she finds it amusing. It's like the Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos"; in which an omnipotent count plays with the Enterprise crew as living toys. Sadly, I don't think Haruhi has any parents to tell her off and make her apologize for what she did; though I think if she had her own deities/higher powers to report to, that would be funny. That if there were other spiritual bodies acting as her mother and father that made her apologize for everything she did.

No, Koizumi instead reaffirms that it's just remnants of the memories from before. Yeah, right! And I'm Johnny Yong Bosch, one of my favorite Power Rangers turned one of my favorite anime voice actors! Time for another liter of Code Red!

Kyon again asks if Haruhi senses any of this. She probably does, and is now using that to fulfill her desires.

Once again, it's Yuki who knows everything. I am so disappointed that Haruhi Suzumiya got the media franchise named for her, then ran it to the ground with this arc. The Spectacular Yuki Nagato is one that I would have been more interested in.
Now, we have reached the 15,524th repetition of the loop; and the next level of Hell. Time for what my heavy metal albums think of the place.


Yuki begins listing the outcome of each event; and Kyon stops her. I take another dose of Zyrtec. Kyon wonders how it must feel to repeat that loop. Very nice, I've managed to blow through most of the episode. I only have a little over 2 episodes to get through, I intend to get through this.

It's time for stargazing again, and Haruhi wants to look for UFOs.


 Haruhi and Mikuru are out, as Kyon asks what Haruhi wants to do. I was saving this for the end of the arc, but I think it calls for the song sooner.

 They go goby fishing again, and we even get the old cliché of someone catching a boot.

They went to the beach, and to the movies.

So, now they're back at the restaurant. They're finished with their list. You know this is where everything goes to pants again.

Once again, when Haruhi asks if there's anything else, no one says anything. Once again, when she heads out the door, Kyon does nothing to stop her. This is highly preventable, and yet you continue to do nothing.

Once again, Kyon has grown so despondent that he can't do his homework, and just lies in bed.


"Endless 8 Part 6" reaches another level of banality for an already intolerable arc. It becomes increasingly clear that the characters are aware of what's going on, yet have become the poster children for bystander syndrome (a trait which I don't believe in, by the way). I am getting through this slag and that's all there is to it! I will be finished soon and ready to move on! See you space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment