Thursday, September 19, 2013

Recap: Endless 8 Part 7

We're on the homestretch now. Just this episode and the next one and I'll be done with the Endless 8!

It's the usual business with Kyon watching the game and getting a call from Haruhi.








Haruhi tells him to meet at the station with a swimsuit and lots of money.

Kyon could telegraph the whole thing, just like the audience can. To anyone who watched these episodes when they were originally coming out: you have my sympathy.

There is a bit of a silence with the TV going after Kyon hangs up.

As per usual, I'm skipping the theme song; and putting on something else.




Once again, they're headed to the pool. Haruhi makes her spiel about how they need to do more summer-related things. I know the feeling. My brother is going back to school, and I'm going back near the end of September. 







They're at the pool again, and I'm omitting the Haruhi ass shot the scene opens on for the same reason I'm going to have to dial back the profanity and dirty jokes: if I'm going back to school and potentially getting a job on their paper; I'm going to have to be more careful about this sort of thing.

This time, I'm skipping Kyon's redundant statement and instead focusing on this great laugh he makes.

Great job, Haruhi. You have broken him, as you have a great many people with this arc.



Now, everything goes black and white.

They're at the restaurant again. It's the same plan as before.

Kyon gets woken up on the next day, and this time, he has his hand down his pants. Charming. He's gotten so despondent; he's resorted to playing pocket pool in his sleep.

It's the Yukata shopping again. This time, the store they went to is called Endless. I think I've found a store with worse service than Safeway.


Located in the Shinjuku district, next to the Hello Kitty love hotel!

Of course, they're dazzling, and Kyon loves Mikuru's best. Ooh! I am just slaughtering the first 9 minutes. This next song proves that this arc cannot conquer me.


They're at the Bon festival. Yuki is looking at the masks.

She buys another superhero mask; and wears it in an odd fashion. 10 minutes, only 1 1/2 more episodes to go. 










 They're doing fireworks again. I imagine that it would go this way.




 Kyon posits the homework question again, and Haruhi says it can be done in three days. This time, he replies with "three days?!" in Engrish. I will admit that's actually pretty funny.

Even so, we've entered the next level of Hell, despite Kyon's claims that Haruhi was given her skills from heaven. This next song will further my belief that Haruhi is very much the Antichrist in human form.


The next day is bug-catching, and Haruhi wins again.



After the Pandora's box analogy, it's them working as frogs again! You know what? I haven't tried to tie a frog-related song to this scene, why do so now? I'm just going to go through more of my classic rock tracks. 






After once again finding out the pay is the suits; Kyon makes a wonderful pout. I am finding his increasing indifference parallel with mine delicious. That is why I find Kyon a more appealing character than Haruhi.






Then, it's the phone call again, and it's both hands in the pants this time. This time, he sounds really pissed off when he answers; as most of the fanbase was when they watched this arc. I think this was the point in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray's character threw the clock out the window after waking up to "I Got You Babe" for the umpteenth time.



He heads to the station, and Mikuru is a sobbing wreck again. Patience, Steven, you're almost done. 


 As it's time for Koizumi's explanation; this is usually the time where both the non-Haruhi SOS Brigade members and the audience have grown depressed from the antics they've been put through.

No, this explanation does not make any more sense on the sixth explanation. Nor does Mikuru's grief chance the fact that they are being treated like the playthings of a sociopathic, demonic teenage girl. If this were a different kind of anime; she would make a fantastic villain.

Now we are on the 15,527th repetition of the loop. It gets to Yuki's listing of each outcome of events. I mean it: when I get to the final part, I will list the outcomes of each thing I did to write about this arc.



It's stargazing time again, and Haruhi still wants to see martians. I think this next MST3K clip should be an apt description of this arc.









Now they're at the batting center again. I will finish this. Right away.


This time, it just focuses on the sky as Kyon describes the events. Even the animators are losing interest by this point.






Back at the restaurant, Kyon STILL doesn't do anything to stop Haruhi! He just sits there having a trip!






Kyon once again looks at his homework; but has become too sad to do it. I just have the feeling that's going to be the key; and I hope I'm good and pissed off when I find out if it is.

"Endless 8 Part 7" is one of the deepest levels of Hell I've likened this arc to. This is one of the most massive screw-overs for an anime second season since Code Geass R2; but at least R2 had other things to criticize! As soon as this is posted, I'm compiling the events of these recaps for the final Endless 8 recap! Don't miss it!




3 comments:

  1. Well look at it this way, what I think when the animators went crazy with the Endless Eight arc is that they're trying to let the emotions sink in for the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie. *Spoilers in a way* I mean if you think about it when you watch Endless Eight you experienced what Yuki experienced since she was the only one that retained her memory. This gives you a huge hint of why Yuki did what she did in the disappearance movie. Come on if you had a low opinion about yourself like Yuki and went through a looping summer of roughly 500 years you'd do the same thing. That's just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. That's sort of why I preferred Yuki as a character than Haruhi. I can only imagine if she was the face of the franchise instead of her; maybe I would have enjoyed it more. I have the last part written, I just need to start posting it. Thank you for your input.

      Delete
    2. There's a spin-off Manga that centers Yuki as the protagonist. It's called The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki Chan, basically it's what it would be like if Kyon chose Yuki's world (It's more along the lines of the romantic-comedy genre). Keep up the blogging.

      Delete