Friday, January 31, 2014

Anime I'm Currently Watching 1/31/14

Hello again. Well, it turns out it's taking longer than I thought to get my computer charger replaced, so I've had a setback in posting more recaps. So, I thought I would post an anime I'm currently watching to give you something.

Astro Boy (1963)

Osamu Tezuka's classic, one of the first series to crossover into the west. To this day, Astro remains an icon in the eyes of both Japanese and Western anime fans. While the animation and voice acting have aged, the story remains very satisfying and the characters likable. I intend to do a recap of the first episode for my From Humble Beginnings series to see what the medium was like in that time period.

Pokemon on Hulu

While it's a given that I am a big fan of the series, this development crosses over with a tinge of anime news. It seems Pokemon Origins and the first 5 episodes of Diamond and Pearl are on Hulu; which is one of my preferred sites for watching anime as well as YouTube when I don't have DVDs handy. There is a contingency for more of the 800+ episodes and the movies. The bulk of them will be on Hulu Plus, but I shall take advantage of the ones available for nothing on the main site. I am glad that the Pokemon Company is working on making a media convergence for the fanbase reaching their teens and 20s, as well as to crossover with new ones.

One Piece

Yep, it's Friday, and that means One Piece day. I'm rewatching the Oceans' Dream arc on Hulu, since most of the Water 7 arc hasn't been officially put online yet and I'm waiting for the big DVD sets (26 episodes a piece as opposed to 13 for the smaller ones) to come out before I order them. It's a good refresher of the events up to that point; as well as having key events for the Straw Hats reanimated to match the digital coloring (prior to that, the series used traditional animation). It's also a good launching-on point for fans watching on the new Toonami who have cable or satellite, but not internet access.

Toriko

This will be the last one I shall talk about before I post this and head to reading. This is an anime about the eponymous hunter Toriko, who hunts food for gourmet restaurants with his bare hands. The first three episodes had some very satisfying adventures, and I would like to see more. I will get more into it in a first impressions post.

That will be all for now, I shall finish watching some of the stuff I mentioned here on other tabs before I head to reading. See you space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment