Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Recap: The Light of Floccessy Ranch!


Hello everyone, and Happy Year of the Sheep. Part of my theme for this year is going to relate to the Chinese Zodiac; starting with the new year we have entered. As a Mareep fan, this gives me the perfect opportunity to do a recap to detox from the Strongest Mega Evolution Act I; which, upon repeated viewings; is a bigger disappointment to me than The Phantom Menace was. 

While I watched the intro episode for Mareep in Johto, I couldn’t find enough material to do a recap on it. Instead, I decided I will do a filler episode from the fantastic Episode N arc in Best Wishes. So, let’s open up “The Light of Floccessy Ranch!”

We open on Pikachu and Axew frolicking among a field of Mareep.



Ash, Iris, and Cilan are calling out to them.

Then, part of the reason I decided to do this recap comes around: an Ampharos tries to herd the Mareep in a suggestive manner. 









We then get the theme song for this season, “It’s Always You and Me.” While not as good as the Episode N remix of the “Be An Arrow” opening; it is a relatively decent song with a very soothing sound. My favorite Pokémon Company theme is still their version of the Pokémon Theme (the full version of which is in the Diancie movie DVD); though the new one, “Be A Hero” may be a contender the more I listen to it.





We then get our title card over the seas of Unova; which goes great with this filter the copy I used to write this to get around Google’s bots!





A farm girl named Ellie thanks everyone for finding the Mareep; and invites them all back to Floccessy Ranch for lunch.

Her grandfather has prepared a banquet of sandwiches and soup. It was tea in the Japanese version, but OK.

Apparently, Ampharos is a bit timid; and learning a new move may help it herd the Mareep: Thunder Punch! 

Iris sends out her Dragonite to help. Her Dragonite has a bit of a reputation of being a bit of a curmudgeon; but also a badass. 

He encourages Ampharos to put some UNH! into his Thunder Punch. In my X and Y; I managed to raise some very good level 100 Ampharos. Their names are Bolt and Rinzler. 



He’s so strong he can punch through rock! UNH!

With this, he gets on Ampharos to encourage him to give his Thunder Punch some UNH!



Yet, he’s unwilling or unable to apply the elbow grease needed for the attack.


I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.


Team Rocket spies the flock of Mareep; and decide to make their move on them. Yes, because that line of work has done so well in the past! Couldn’t you take up golf?

Back at the ranch, Dragonite is still encouraging Ampharos to keep up his training. 



Even Pikachu and Axew can do it!

Suddenly, a laser beam attracts Mareep to an unseen location. That’s how most animals react to a laser pointer.

Team Rocket is behind this, as per usual. 

Due to Ampharos’ nature; grandpa decides to trade him away if he can’t improve. Ellie than asks for more time to perfect Thunder Punch.


Everyone decides to go into the woods to find the missing Mareep; as it turns out more have disappeared.



We're looking for a fuck to give about Yokai Watch coming stateside!

As more and more Mareep come into the case. Meowth then starts falling asleep. That never works for me, I usually put on Pink Floyd instead. 



When they’re found out, they say their motto in a sea of neon straight out of Batman Forever.






Ampharos tries to guide the Mareep back in another suggestive manner.



Let's stay together!



A battle then ensues in which Ampharos must use Thunderpunch to save them all.



You're gonna eat lightning, and you're gonna crap thunder!
Sure enough, his confidence is boosted to the power he needs to save the day.



Everything has worked out wonderfully; and the grandfather has decided Ampharos can stay.


That'll do, Ampharos. That'll do.



Dragonite even expresses contentment inside is Poké Ball. Aww. 




So, we close on everyone going on their merry way.






The first thing you may be wondering, is how could I prefer something like this over The Strongest Mega Evolution? It has a stock plot; laughable villains, and dialog changes for even weirder reasons! The simple answer is that “The Light of Floccessy Ranch” is more fun. In its own way; I find it more entertaining because it embraces its silliness rather than trying to Snyderize it. The late Pauline Kael once said there is seldom great art we can appreciate that we cannot appreciate great trash. As I started this blog; in many ways, the Japanese have some fantastic trash. The animation is a fun way to unwind from a surprisingly busy schedule this term. Even so, I must once again change up what I had planned to follow this up. Now that I have an official airdate confirmed for The Strongest Mega Evolution Act III on March 19 in Japan; I am going to accelerate my plans to recap Act II. You should see it up not long after this. Gong hay fat choy, everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment