Monday, March 2, 2015

Recap: The Strongest Mega Evolution Act II

The Strongest Mega Evolution Act II. First off, I will say it is a slight improvement over the first act before we proceed further.


So, we open in true Indiana Jones fashion with some archeologists uncovering a rune relating to Mega Evolution. While these specials can work as alternatives to the mainline series; I still think the hard-PG approach of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark would be the best. 


Picking up where we left off, we see Alan; and Maren arriving in Hoenn. Alan is still almost devoid of emotion; and Maren is still a bumbling fool that would make Jar Jar Binks go, “Ye gods! Yousa show some competence!” Seriously, she gets her ass quite literally stuck in a tree before the reason I decided to keep going with these specials took off: Steven Stone. Again, why couldn’t he have been the star of these specials?

I digress. He and Alan have a battle while Maren looks on. Alan sends out Charizard, and Steven counters with the Shiny Metagross! Both of them can Mega Evolve; and a battle ensues. Once again: those are what seem to be working. The animation and the battles. I must once again point out there’s no real point in having these specials if they’re not going to take advantage of not being tied to the mainline series from a story and characterization standpoint.










Seriously, I found Alan and Maren so unsupportable as characters that I was glad when they brought in Steven Stone and now Lysander. He enters with his Pyroar and shows Alan a thing or two. I also notice his theme seems to be an arrangement of Hans Zimmer’s “If You Love These People,” my  final battle theme. 







Maren then falls into the tree again! Yeah! Try it 8 more times! Maybe it will work!




Lysander is the head of Lysander Labs, as in the games, and unveils the holo caster. 

Alan also reveals something that made sure I will never like him as a character or even as a human. It’s one of the times he displayed happiness at the mega stone and his Charmeleon. He also considers Lysander more important than Professor Sycamore.

Lysander, it turns out, is the one that gave him the Mega Ring and the Mega Stone, rather than Gurkinn! He manipulates Alan for his own gain, and he buys it hook, line and sinker! Again, THIS is what people are hoping for the future of the anime? If that’s the case, then I don’t want your future!


I mean, this is supposed to be someone I want to, in the words of my associate Chris “CS Andreas” Sanders; “fall in love with.” I’m sorry Christopher, but going by word of mouth; most people I’ve talked to despise Alan. I can assure you that whatever fans Alan has, he’ll lose long before Act III airs in March.





So, they reach the archeology site; and I can reiterate my statement that I really don’t care what happens to Alan and Maren. I want to see more of how Steven and Lysander do.

They activate their key stones, and the site comes alive in a fantastic glow. Despite Steven’s statement, I am more grateful for him than I am for Alan. Everyone ventures further into the site; and it turns out there are more places to use the key stones. The pillar begins to glow in a manner worthy of Steven Spielberg, and a massive stone arises.

A helicopter appears with the members of Team Flare, who I’m glad have ditched those gaudy red outfits from the games in favor of something more subdued.






The sky goes dark as Mega Rayquaza comes down in a massive cloud of thunder and lightning! This is the first time I have felt genuinely excited throughout these specials. Even though Alan tells everyone go get away; Mega Rayquaza completely wrecks the area; and Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross are no match for him. Alan even dives to rescue Maren as she gets blown away! This is a start; but I’m going to need a lot more for Act III.



Lysander then sends them away, but not before giving Alan a glance that almost gives the impression he’ll say “Hail Hydra.”

So, first let’s go over what I liked: the animation and battles are once again sharp and impressive, and I am liking that they’re actually integrating some of the mythology of Mega Evolution this time around. Everything seems to come together when Mega Rayquaza takes flight.

Sadly, my complaints about the leads, Alan and Maren, have not been addressed. In fact; I even think they’re worse in this act than they were in the last one. Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think they’re sociopaths like Paul and Damian, but they are not worthy of being the heroes of these specials. What Alan did is not for the good of Kalos, but for his own gain. Maren is even more useless than in the last special; so I’m really hoping her presence is minimized in Act III.

So, you may be wondering, do I have something personal against them? I hope not. Nothing would make me happier than to give positive marks to them. It’s just that as it stands; the good parts of these specials are coming from the likes of Steven Stone, Siebold, Astrid, and Remo; all of whom would have made better leads. They had this problem more than a decade ago with The Legend of Thunder with Jimmy and Marina; with the writers and animators understanding we want different characters but not understanding why. I must once again reiterate that merely having other characters is not the same as having ones you care about. Until that day comes when we can have a series in the vein of Star Wars or the Marvel Cinematic Universe in that regard; I really don’t see the mainline series going anywhere or things like this or the OR/AS anime special being more than just spinoffs.

I will be watching Act III; and recapping it when it’s dubbed. Given how these specials are now 0-for-2 in convincing me to abandon my recaps of the mainline series; I really think Act III should be the last one. See you space cowboy.


No comments:

Post a Comment