Friday, March 6, 2015

Recap: Peacekeeper

Dedicated to the Memory of Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015

Hello again. Given certain events and the need to detox from The Strongest Mega Evolution Act II; I shall once again do a recap of something I enjoy, as has been standard procedure since I started this blog. As I have already done my favorite episode of Cowboy Bebop; I think I shall do one on my favorite episode of its companion piece, Trigun. 


Yes folks, this series was a staple of Toonami and early Adult Swim during the anime boom of the early-to-mid-2000s. It has remained in heavy rotation in many formats since then; and I have a much stronger desire to see it return to Toonami than IGPX (which I’m still going to be recapping at some point; since I wanted to last year, but couldn’t). This modern Western tells the tale of reluctant badass Vash the Stampede; the humanoid typhoon with a $$60,000,000,000 bounty on his head. The appeal comes from the fact that he never intentionally wanted this stigma; only a good meal, to do some good, then go on his way. This reputation also gets all sorts of colorful characters trying to take his mantle; to no avail, including the team of Meryl Strife and Milly Thompson of the Bernadelli Insurance Company; tasked with following him and assessing the damage he does. So, let’s open up “Peacekeeper” and have us a good time, pilgrim. 


We get that theme song; which I’m glad is in my top 13 anime openings. I’m posting a link of it, so feel free to bang your head. 


We open proper on a small town called Warren City; during a lively evening at the town saloon. A man gets very deep into a whisky bottle before stumbling into the bar. He asks one of the patrons for a drink.


Hell, I'll drink what I use to clean my guns if I get a good buzz! (Urp!)



The barflies, not amused; throw him out on his ass; not pleased with his attitude.

The next day, Meryl and Milly are out looking for Vash the Stampede.

Sure enough, he finds them.





Content with himself; he smiles at them. His idealistic spirit is easily bolstered by the fact that he’s voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch. He’s easily the Power Ranger I would trust most in this situation.




The man from last night crashes into Vash, and knocks him into the animals’ trough.


Vash in a rare moment of quiet dignity.


He then starts chastising Vash for bumping into him.


Pardon me, your highness! Weren't you one of the Beetle Borgs?


Then, he starts feeling Vash up! I thought Amy Jo Johnson had problems with stalkers!







They start getting into a rather suggestive tussle in the dirt! Quick! What’s the safety word?


Get off me! You aren't my dominant!

They stumble into the bar, and the man’s name is Frank. He tries to pass Vash off as a millionaire, but Vash brushes him off as he orders the cheap hooch.

The barmaid then asks Vash to turn in his gun while they drink.


And your morpher. I don't want you turning out like that Skyler Delon kid.


As they drink, they bond over their newfound friendship and alcoholism. Man, I love 90s anime!

Frank Marlon; a former gunsmith, helped arm the townsfolk before he became a drinker. More on that later.

Meryl is horrified to find there is no sheriff in Warren City; but the mayor is confident that nothing can go wrong. That just proves that you are the leading asshole in the state! 





The crooks of this episode decide to take advantage of the fact the town has no sheriff; as well as the fact that Vash is in town to rob an armored car headed into town.

Frank and Vash and are then thrown out that evening, but not before Vash asks for his gun back.


And my morpher? Saban makes me pay for it!


Back at Frank’s apartment, he and Vash bond over drinks while Frank recites his credo.



Vash then learns that Frank’s wife and child were killed a bank robbery; by guns he built to protect everyone, no less. This is a genuinely sad story, not for the faint of heart.






The car is robbed, and the crook’s getaway car is loaded with cash by everyone.

Vash, hiding in a trash can; then decides to step in. He walks up, wearing the trash can lid for a hat; and casually punctures their tire with a dagger hidden in his shoe.




The crooks do not take kindly to this.



You little shit! I got no spare in that car!


Then, Vash sees through their facade and starts taking on the crooks.
One by one; the townsfolk then take up arms against the crooks. 



Apparently, all it took to drive them away was their fingers!


Sure glad those fingers aren't loaded!


That night, everyone, including Vash, drinks to their success!



Frank, having sworn off alcohol, has repaired Vash’s gun and decided to go straight.

Pleased with this; Vash then vows to use his gun to create equality and peace throughout the land.

Vash also doesn’t handle alcohol well; I see, as he gets sick all over the street.

Vash goes on his way the next morning; popping out a couple shots towards twin suns.





We then close on one of Frank’s guns; restored to pristine condition.







“Peacekeeper” is a fun episode that’s worthy of being called my favorite episode of Trigun. The animation and storytelling are a small encapsulation of everything I love about the series and the medium. Much like “Mushroom Samba;” this episode and show helped cement my fandom for my 12-year-old-self. Vash is an ideal hero to have for this series; possessing qualities I love for any hero I follow. With this, I have something special planned for my 150th post. You’ll just have to wait and see what it is. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment