Saturday, August 15, 2015

Recap: The Strongest Mega Evolution Act III

The Strongest Mega Evolution Act III. First, let me make clear this is probably the best of the three acts that have aired so far before we continue.


We open on a massive storm in the seas; caused by Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. After two specials with great battles and animation; but not much else, NOW we’re getting the special I was expecting when I pressed play on the first two acts. It’s often called the “Revenge of the Sith” effect.

Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre rise out of the sea like the massive kaiju and whale that they are; and now we’re off to the races.

Rustboro City. Always brings a smile to my face. Even Maren’s mugging cannot drag this down for me; as we’ve returned to the Devon corporation for the first time in years.

Even the special is getting in on addressing Alan’s lack of emotion with Maren calling him out! Let’s face it, Lou Dobbs is a better actor than this guy!



The dub changes this to “a sense of wonder,” which still fits given how dour Alan is all the time! The rebooted Fantastic Four are making fun of you!


We are then informed of the situation with Groudon and Kyogre; and Alan and Steven are off to investigate it; without Maren. It’s all, “so long, kiddo, we’ve got work to do!”

Yet, Maren stows away anyway. Great. We have Jar Jar Binks in a situation where we need Obi-wan Kenobi. 

Even so, I do like how they approach the mythology of Mega Evolution; and they’re once again integrating it more compared to previous specials.

Of course, they just have to remind us of what happened with Alan in the last special. I already addressed that in my recap of said special; so let’s move on.

Alan even brushes off Maren as a burden, rightfully so. I even like how the dub even more appropriately dismisses her as a nuisance. Sorry, MarissonShippers: your idols have less chemistry than Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. 

It is here we get the highlight of the special; the battle between Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre; with Mega Rayquaza keeping the balance. I’m serious; the animation of this battle is what these specials have been truly capable of; with this being the first of these specials that deserves to stand alongside Origins, Best Wishes; and the mainline XY series as some of my favorites.


Even so, Alan’s failings as a character are definitely realized here. In the first special; he lost to Siebold, and was given advice that he ignored and the dub removed. In the second special; he got injured and couldn’t beat Mega Rayquaza. This time; both he and Mega Charizard X are disabled to the point where their actions don’t even affect the outcome of the special. I mean come on, you’re not making Now and Then Here and There; you’re making a special about giant monsters duking it out on the seas of Hoenn!

Yet, something amazing happens: Maren is actually able to rescue them! I assure you the fact that Alan and his Charizard survived this was not merely luck, it was divine intervention. It’s as if Arceus Himself swooped down and saved them! This was a miracle, and I want you as fans to acknowledge it!




Also, it helps Steven Stone is on hand. Quite a few people also agree with me the specials should have been about him.

As for the scene everyone is going to ask me about: I don’t really care about their relationship. Far as I’m concerned; it’s Alan telling this waste of animation “So long kiddo, I’ve got work to do.”

Professor Sycamore is informed about what happened; and Alan’s apparent brush with death has made him see that this is not the path he should be following. He leaves Lysander to forge his own path; battling every day to claim his rightful place. He’ll be like Caine in Kung Fu; traveling from place to place and meeting all kinds of people.





One thing that soured my rewatches of the first two acts was people repeatedly claiming they were amazing. I tell you, nothing can ruin a decent special like saying it’s amazing again and again. That didn’t really happen this time. This time; I can say that like the Battle of the Five Armies; it actually managed to deliver what they advertised. Given how Act IV is going to be the last one, I only have one suggestion: scale down. You’re not going to be able to top all three major Hoenn Legendaries going at it; so give the foreground to the characters, not the battles. Ask the hard questions about Alan. What motivates him? What makes him tick? Why is he doing all this? Why does he act the way he does? Even after three specials; I still barely know anything about him as a character, hence why I think the fans’ faith in him is misplaced.

A better lead would have been someone like Wes from Pokémon Colosseum. An adventurous spirit and a daring rogue. He’s one of many reasons I want a Wii U HD rerelease of that game. Heck, Bill and Ted would have been better than Alan and Maren as leads. Even when stuff was indeed “bogus”, they saw the best in every situation they were in. Even so, with spectacular animation; I hope Act IV and any future specials can learn from these. Right now, however; I’m just going to enjoy what I have already.

Whatever happens next is in your hands. So long for now. Be excellent to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment