Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Recap: Baffling the Bouffalant


Hello again. To those who have seen the new Star Wars: what did you think of it? To those that haven’t, I shall simply say this: Stop worrying… it’s amazing! 


As such, it’s given me just the motivation I need to work on this recap for oxen in my Chinese Zodiac theme! While my quota for Tauros had previously been filled by the banned “Legend of Dratini/Legend of Miniryu” episode; I did find a close cousin in the Bouffalant line in Unova. So, let’s open up “Baffling the Bouffalant” and have us a funky good time! 


We open on Ash, Iris and Cilan having lunch with their Pokémon on their way to Mistralton City. I’m just going on record to say that I like Iris and Cilan. I’m going to type this again to make sure you understand: I like Iris and Cilan. I just thought that would be good to know before I continued. 





As Ash tries to break up an argument between Tepig and Oshawott; a Bouffalant comes charging through the area like the First Order was wrecking up Jakku!

Everyone manages to escape, but they get separated as a result! So, this episode is pretty much the Best Wishes version of the Johto episode “Forest Grumps;” and we’ll probably get to that one sometime.

While the Rival Destinies theme doesn’t stand out that much at me; I do like how fancy the title card art is. The art department for the BW series definitely took advantage of the flashy toys at their disposal, and I love them for that.





Ash checks his Pokédex for information on Bouffalant, which reveals they are very territorial Pokémon. Well, that’s convenient for this episode!

Iris then chastises Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy for arguing with each other; saying they need to get out of this mess together!

Also, I don’t know why; but Best Wishes had to have some of my favorite facial animations of any saga up to that point. Just look at Iris’ face! It fits her snarky, neo-Misty personality perfectly. 




Then, Nurse Joy comes by with Audino; and here is the one of the primary reasons why I decided to recap this episode: the only way to be safe from the Bouffalant is to wear an afro, but the dub renders this as a “curly wig;” creating an unintentionally hilarious stigma against the word “afro” in the dub.

Regardless; everyone is given the wigs, and Tepig and Oshawott must try very hard not to laugh at each other as a result!






Somehow, Axew gets separated from everyone; but is able to elude the Bouffalant because of getting a bush stuck on his horn!

Nurse Joy then tells the whole story to Ash and Cilan, and provides everyone else with the “curly wigs.” Ash’s expression when he puts his on is priceless.




Through a freak accident, Axew loses his bush; but gets a new one from Iris as the journey continues. 



Amid all the chaos; Iris and the Pokémon lose their wigs in order to get medicine for an injured Bouffalant! Why? It turns out with all their roughhousing, the Bouffalant injure themselves constantly! Kind of dark for such a lighthearted episode, to be frank. 




To thank her, the Bouffalant then protects Iris from its kin; all while Iris sports hair that almost makes her look like a puffed-up Wookiee!





Everyone reunites, and they find their way out of the forest.

After returning the “curly wigs;” everyone continues on their way to Mistralton City! By jove, that was a confusing day.




“Baffling the Bouffalant” is a fun and silly adventure in Best Wishes; and not just because of the dub’s bizarre stigma against the word “Afro.” I didn’t even show you half of how busy this episode was; because it’s a comic goldmine. The colorful animation and snappy characters are perfect to fit the mood. I’ve been enjoying this episode again and again for a while now, and hope to do so again in the near future.



Now, I will once again have to change up what I wanted to do, bumping my planned recap for tigers in the cycle to another time. Instead, I have a special surprise planned for Christmas eve; and you’ll just have to wait and see what it is. See you, space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment