Thursday, May 26, 2016

Mighty No.9 Trailer: A "Masterclass" in How Not to Market a Video Game.

Hello again. I had some other pieces in mind for this week; but a combination of being busy finishing up my CWE class and something coming up last night have caused me to venture outside my usual comfort zone once again.

It seems that Mighty No.9 is finally coming out on June 21 for PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. That's the good news. The bad news is an utterly abysmal trailer has been released to sell it; the latest of many setbacks for the Kickstarter-funded game.

While the trailer is full of generic narration and meaningless buzzwords; one line actually is causing me to write about something I normally wouldn't. The narrator (who sounds suspiciously similar to the infamous "Mr. Caffeine") likened the title character's special abilities to "making your enemies cry like an anime fan on prom night." To say that I'm insulted at such a statement would be putting it lightly.

First of all, I've never considered prom to be all that essential to my social status. In fact, I'm once again deliberately choosing not to go to some formal events planned in my area in favor of seeing X-Men Apocalypse instead (once again, I lament I don't have my computer working to do another recap of the X-Men anime like I did for Days of Future Past).

Second, and more importantly; this kind of advertising seems to have shot them in the foot, given how the title character has a distinct anime style to him; as does the game itself. I'm still interested, but this kind of nonsense wants to make me have Kamina punch narrator in the face.

In fact, the backlash has been immediate and immense; with a number of dislikes surpassing the number of likes on YouTube by an almost eight to one margin.

I still plan on getting the game; depending on how it does amid this latest setback (not counting the numerous delays it's faced). Even so; to put it succinctly, this trailer is a "Masterclass" of garbage, to the point where the Japanese developers have openly bashed it on Twitter with many outraged fans joining in.

I strongly encourage everyone to speak their mind about this; since it's honestly a contender for some of the worst video game advertising I've ever seen. It's up there with the infamous "baby" spot for the PS3; it is that bad. See you space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment