Friday, July 22, 2016

Detective Pikachu Live Action Movie Coming Soon From Legendary Pictures.

I know I'm working on a new recap before I go see my family in New York; but I thought I would give this a post.

It turns out that Legendary Pictures has officially secured the rights to the Pokémon film franchise, with a live-action adaptation of Detective Pikachu being the first planned film in the series.

While the video game on which it's based has not yet come stateside; there is definitely potential in the concept. I'm still not sure how the film will do, given the uneven quality of many video game and anime adaptations; I still believe that the movie franchise has the potential to be every bit as big as the likes of Star Wars or the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Even though the film has yet to be cast or given a director; I definitely think that after producing massive blockbusters like Jurassic World, that Legendary can successfully make a convincing case for Pikachu and the other Pokémon with the level of special effects we have now. If they want to include darker elements (the game on which the film is set to be based contains implications of an Aipom homicide investigation); that's fine, but I can say that the best way to approach the whole thing would be to just embrace the insanity of the concept. If a wisecracking, gun-toting raccoon and a talking tree can be movie stars, then so can an electric mouse.

I'm going to get back to work on my recap before I play in the final Splatoon Splatfest (it's appropriately enough, Callie VS Marie) and go see Star Trek Beyond this weekend. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment