Monday, July 4, 2016

A 4th of July Riff: Yet More Pokémon Sun and Moon News, Blog Plans for Second Half of Year

Hello again. To my readers in the US: Happy 4th of July. Hard to believe it's been four years since I did my recap of "Lights, Camera, Destruction," yet here I am; about to train some Braviary in my various Pokémon games.

On that note, I thought I would share some updates for Pokémon Sun and Moon. While the leak came through on June 30 in Japan; I waited till the official reveal on July 1, so as not to jump the gun to early. Nevertheless, there were many reveals. First off, the English names for Nekkoala and Iwanko were revealed to be Komala and Rockruff, respectively. Second, there have been reveals of many new Pokémon for the forthcoming journey through the Alola region. There is the guardian of Melemele Island, Tapu Koko (who may or may not be connected to the idol a Backpacker gives you in X and Y); who resembles a guardian head of Easter Island. There is a tropical fish known as Bruxish, who looks vaguely like Sy Snootles from Return of the Jedi. Grubbin's evolved forms have been revealed as the boxy Charjabug and the beetle-like Vikavolt. There is also the fairy/bug-type Cutiefly; who resembles a mosquito. My personal favorites, however, would have to be the region's Pikachu analogue, Togedemaru, who resembles a hedgehog; and Drampa, a Normal/Dragon type who resembles Falkor from The Neverending Story.


Now, I think I will talk about some of my plans for the second half of the year. Amid all the time it took to get my computer fixed; I did finally get my recap of Pokémon 3 out; so I want to continue my Pokémon movie marathon with the movies from Pokémon 4Ever onward. I want to get that one out soon; so I can go back to my original plan of doing 1 or 2 a month.

Amid other recaps: given what's going on with my grandfather right now; I may do an episode recap or two to help deal with it. I definitely want to do some more of BW to point out how I don't really fit in with the current trend of bashing that series.

You will also see some things mecha-related; as well as a Sailor Moon or other magical girl recap before I go to New York later this month to see some extended family.

Last but not least, in spite of some unnamed parties trying to convince me otherwise; I plan to do more Yo-Kai Watch, as the dub is getting a second season to prep for the release of the sequels, to be released as Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. I still don't know if the games will kickstart the series in the US the way they did in Japan; as I finally got a used copy of the original game, and I'm not really all that impressed with it. I may not hate it like I do the anime; but it's definitely not "the next Pokémon" everyone else has been trying to hype it as, nor is it Level-5's best use of fantasy-RPG games. That honor still goes to Ni No Kuni, and I'm honestly more interested in that game's sequel coming to PS4 soon. The second season starts on August 1, I want to do some of my targets before that; which include a handful of episodes and the first movie. They're making a third one soon; and despite the fans' claims otherwise, the integration of live-action is actually not that great compared to how CGI characters such as Ultron and the rebooted Planet of the Apes films, which have achieved greater realism. While the visual style may lend itself to the bizarre nature of the series; the special effects in the trailer are essentially pulled straight from the video games, minus actually using your 3DS to control them.

Bottom line, I intend to finish what I started; and simply saying "boo-hoo, don't watch it" until I'm ready to drive one of my lightsabers through your heart is not going to change my mind about it. That's something I very rarely do once it's made up.

Whatever the case may be, I certainly hope you enjoy our nation's 240th birthday as I plan to. Bang.



No comments:

Post a Comment