Thursday, June 30, 2016

Recap: The Supersonic Hero Appears

Hello again. I thought I would write a piece to give a belated birthday present to Sonic the Hedgehog, who is celebrating his 25th anniversary this year. Sega and Sonic Team of course have a new game planned, and I certainly hope it’s good. While the early games are still held in high regard, the series has had a rollercoaster of quality since the transition to 3D. Even if not all of the recent entries have been classics; the Blue Blur still commands a sizable fanbase and remains Sega’s biggest name to this day. I’ve been a fan of the guy ever since I could hold a Genesis controller; having got one and a copy of Sonic 2 for Christmas in 1997.


The character was originally conceived as a replacement for Alex Kidd; who didn’t really have the same universal appeal that Mario did and didn’t fare well when he transitioned from the Master System to the Genesis. So, the character was made to be Mario’s polar opposite: his blue hair contrasted Mario’s mostly red color scheme; and Sonic had an attitude that offset Mario’s more friendly persona. His speed-based platforming gameplay also was the antithesis of Mario’s more exploration-based games. Most of all, his red shoes were a combination of the color of Santa Claus’ suit and Michael Jackson’s appearance in the “Bad” music video.


As with many video game anime I’ve covered; I thought it would be apropos to do the first episode of Sonic X for another installment of “From Humble Beginnings!” Let’s open up “The Supersonic Hero Appears!” 


For the sake of argument, I am basing this recap on the Japanese version of the episode; so we lead with the theme song, “Sonic Drive.” Have a listen for yourself.
















Amy Rose is concerned when the Tornado is almost shot down, but Miles “Tails” Prower ensures her they’ll be all right.


This thing has outlasted more criticism than Mighty No. 9! We'll be fine!


Sonic bursts through the walls of the base; and confronts Dr. Eggman, who has Cream the Rabbit held hostage. I’m just going on record that while I may not be a big fan of Cream; she does have a following of people that like her enough to draw numerous fan arts of her in unsavory positions.






Rouge the Bat looks on while Eggman is ready to activate his machine. Among the many things 4Kids tried to do; they tried to tone down the surprisingly sensual nature of her character. It didn’t exactly work; but that’s not the only thing they had a problem with in their handling of this anime. 






Sonic tries to destroy the machine; but Eggman activates it as his base explodes! 





Knuckles the Echidna looks on and notes that it’s Chaos Control; which 4Kids took to mean Eggman’s base rather than a method of traveling through space and through time with the Chaos Emeralds, due to a result of miscommunication. As this is the anime I started using this gag with; it’s once again time for “Shit CEOs say!”



"I've never played the [Sonic] games, watched the shows, or read the comics."-Michael Haigney



Again, to think the company no longer exists!




I want a fucking lawyer, man. The old counselor, or Ron Koopy.


He wakes up in the midst of Station square, where the police are aghast the sight of a blue hedgehog in their midst.


They try to chase him in their cruisers, but Sonic is so quick that he hitches a ride on their hood! 








As the usual police are outmatched and outrun; the chief, a former race car driver steps in with a modified Formula One car and a special bit of fuel referred to as “milk” to catch Sonic! 

The chief confronts Sonic on the highway and just casually says hi to the blue hedgehog. I love a hobby where I get to watch people say things like this.









I'm Sonic the Hedgehog, and welcome to Jackass.





What's the matter? Never seen a hedgehog running backwards before?
He manages to run so fast he leaps into the sky, but lands in someone’s swimming pool. I just hope he doesn’t run into to Nick Nolte from Down and Out in Beverly Hills there. 






He’s then rescued by Chris Thorndyke; and I already addressed what I thought of him in my first recap of this anime, so let’s wrap this up.

So, we close on Sonic the Hedgehog introducing himself to a new generation of fans.





“The Supersonic Hero Appears” is a solid pilot for Sonic X; and one of the better pieces of Sonic animation out there. While the US-made shows have been all over the map; this anime directly adapted many key storylines from the games at the time and put their own spin on them with some good animation and creative use of the characters at their disposal. Whatever happens with the next game: I’ve said before that I’m not one of those fans who’s against new ideas being implemented, so I like to give each entry a chance before I write it off (even if the speed and platforming elements tend to work the best). I would definitely recommend this anime for those reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment