Thursday, May 11, 2017

Recap: Pokémon Sun and Moon Episodes 1 and 2

So, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was pretty awesome. While it's been a wild ride for Marvel in the nine years since the first Iron Man; I consider it to be a great movie and an excellent follow-up to an already delightful hit film. Also, even though midterms didn't go as I planned, I actually did better than I thought I would. I'm also working on a paper for health, I should have it finished by the time you read this.

Now that I have that out of the way, I can finally address something I've been waiting a long time to do. When the Pokémon anime was rebranded for the Sun and Moon series, it became quite the topic for discussion from the word "go." While I was among many that was keeping an open mind towards the prospect, many others were acting like it would kill the series at the highlight of its 20th anniversary. Thankfully, that didn't happen; and while some detractors of Generation VII still remain; the fans have for the most part mellowed out about it. Despite what some people think, somehow I don't see a pair of video games that has sold 15 million copies as of this writing to be "dying." If anything, I can see them selling well through Nintendo's support of the 3DS line in 2018 (they're only a few thousand away from surpassing X and Y). As I've said before, this is roughly the same rationale certain parts of the fandom have had EVERY time they try to implement a change. The phrase "Pokémon is done" has been said so many times that the words have lost all meaning. So, in honor of its official premiere in the US (not counting the previews or leaked airings from Canada or the UK), let's open up the first two episodes of Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon! 








We open on Ash and Pikachu surfing on the back of a Sharpedo, and right off the bat; we see evidence of the idealistic tone as well as the redesigned art style. I'm letting any potential naysayers reading this right now that I like the redesigned art style, so anyone looking for a negative view on it will have to look elsewhere. Besides, I actually feel it suits the tone of the series quite well.



The narrator says that Ash and Pikachu are on vacation on Melemele Island in the Alola region, stating that "they're having an absolute ball!" So am I, dude. So am I.








He tickles a Pyukumuku (one of the new Pokémon introduced in Sun and Moon), and it flashes the peace sign at him! That aside, I find odd how even though the people in charge of the Ride Pokémon gave him a life vest, trunks and sandals, they didn't give him the helmet or even a rebreather for that. I'm not criticizing this scene, I'm just saying it's kind of weird. It does get weirder from here, in case you're wondering.




Upon surfacing for air, he bumps into Lana fishing for a Bruxish alongside her Popplio on the back of a Lapras. This startles him, but he does have a good laugh about it nonetheless.








We then get the first dubbed theme for the Sun and Moon series: "Under the Alolan Sun." I rather like the tropical sound it has, as well as how it bears similarity to some of the older Pokémon intros. It also does a decent job of capturing the sound of the Japanese intro, "Alola." Have a listen for yourself.










A very colorful title card also shows the first part of this 1-hour premiere is entitled "Alola to New Adventure!" This is where the fun begins.




Ash then returns Sharpedo and strokes him for a job well done, and I guess the ones on the Ride Pokémon don't have Rough Skin, eh?







We then see Litten walking on the beach, a fact which I am pleased to type since I started with him in Sun, and trained him into an Incineroar named Hobbes (if it were female, I would have called her Ryoko Matoi).  








Ash then comes running up alongside Pikachu, unwittingly steps on Litten's tail, and gets roasted for his trouble. ... We'll talk another time, probably won't do more of this until after my 300th post  at the earliest.  









Elsewhere, Delia Ketchum is enjoying a Pinap Juice alongside her companion Mr. Mime, affectionately referred to as "Mimey!"

After Ash meets up with his mother, we see a flashback to how Mimey won the tickets for their vacation, and the RBY Surf sprite on his shirt is a nice touch. I want one. Also, it fast-forwards through their trip there!




Go past this part! In fact, never play this again!

It also turns out they're on an errand to give a Pokémon egg to Professor Oak's cousin in Alola! When they meet him, I have a bit planned; so just wait a moment or two. 










So, they head to see his cousin in a Pokémon Taxi piloted by a man riding a Tauros. This is a "Land Ride," and the Sharpedo Ash was riding earlier was a "Water Ride," with Charizard representing the "Air Ride". These also have the effect of replacing HMs and Bicycles in the games. There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of them it's pretty fun. 











While Delia shops for some fruit from the market, Ash runs afoul of a Grubbin and tries to capture it! Melemele Island is crawling with those things. Barring any shinies, if you've caught one of those bug-types, you've caught them all.

Ash follows Grubbin into the forest, where a strange deity is keeping watch over them.

I must say, I actually rather like the design that Ash was given for this series. It's actually not that different from the male player character of the games, just with a mostly-red hat instead of a mostly-black one and the color scheme of his shirt being inverted. As for his age: hey, if Harry Potter's actor is now being used as a Swiss Army Man by Paul Dano, I'll take anything they can throw at me.

Speaking of which, one of the new Pokémon introduced in Generation VII appears before him: Bewear! Don't let his cuddly appearance fool you: this fella packs quite the punch! I haven't compiled my list of my favorite Alola Pokémon yet, but this guy is definitely on it (only counting ones introduced in Sun and Moon, redesigned Alola forms of Kanto monsters will have their own list).













Ash comes up to greet him, and he responds by punching through several trees as if they were twigs, such as this one! In addition to the Pokédex showing that he's 6'11" (a full foot taller than Ursaring), here is its information in Moon: "This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug." Again, a bit morbid for an E-rated game.






Ash's face gets very expressive at this, and based on how he's reacting; since I used this gag or several of my Digimon recaps, it's only right I grant this one the same joke. Well, here you go.


When I first encountered Bewear I JIZZED IN MY PANTS.


Overwhelmed by the sight of Bewear's strength, Ash just decides to bail! Well, that's how it goes. Sometimes you eat the 'bar, and sometimes; much obliged, he eats you.








His mad dash to get away from Bewear leads him to the Pokémon Academy, and the sight of a young woman named Lillie! As for the obvious questions someone reading this might ask: save them. I've told you before, I'm not spoiling her story from the games. Go play them yourself if you want to find out what happens.







Ash then runs up to meet her, but gets trampled by a trio of Tauros in the process! Ash just brushes this off, citing that he caught some. Ah yes: 20 years later, and they're STILL making callbacks to an episode that can't legally be shown here!








Mallow takes him inside, and among other wonders; we see a bunch of old Pokémon fossils and a Primeape playing basketball!

Even though Mallow mistakenly believes Ash is a new student (irony, much?); Delia is pleased to see her son made it to campus all right. Just like her: even when her son gets into all sorts of daring-do, she's always glad to see him okay!

It is here we're formally introduced to the professor's cousin: the principal of the school, Samson Oak! He's an eccentric fellow who is proud to say his place is the "Home of Solrock and Roll!"


Dang, it got kind of Yo-Kai Watchy up in here.


Much like in the games, I rather like Samson's offbeat behavior. It compliments his design as well: a Hawaiian shirt, board shorts, flip-flops, a deep tan and a white mullet, integrating Pokémon names into his vernacular. He's like an otherworldly fusion of Albus Dumbledore and Rufus from the Bill and Ted movies.


Again, in spite of all the heat the art style has gotten in some circles; I actually think it suits the style of the series well; and this screencap is actually a common reaction image, so here's my take as such.



My reaction to Sun and Moon haters.
Mallow then decides to show Ash around campus, and we are then introduced to Professor Kukui! I have to say he's joined the list of my favorite professors. His laid-back personality also compliments his design nicely: an open lab coat with no shirt, cargo shorts, sunglasses, a rainbow hat and slip-on shoes (guess like Birch and his Birkenstocks, a genius like him can't be bothered with trivial things like shoelaces).









However, not everything is sunshine and Rockruff: showing up to pick a fight is Team Skull! Given how previous series have tried to downplay other villain factions from the games in favor of more shenanigans with Team Rocket, I am glad that the 1-hour pilot of this anime has wasted no time introducing them. While their names are roughly translated as Wrap, Tup and Zip (they have no official names as of yet, I will write future recaps accordingly when they get some), I shall refer to them for the time being as Nathan, Katie and Edward; if you'll pardon my shade thrown.


You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge.



Kiawe, not amused; demands they leave. While the anime does take some creative license with his characterization from the games, I actually rather like how he's rendered as the comically serious. In a way, it's similar to how a lot of versions of Batman are portrayed in how deadly serious he takes everything. He does have some moments of levity, but they don't come for a while.





Nathan of course refuses, and even challenges Kiawe to a battle over it; even demanding he play his Charizard for pink slips!

After Nathan, Katie and Edward send out trios of Zubat, Yungoos and Salandit; Ash  decides he'll fight too, even asking  Kiawe "are you ready?!" I've been waiting since last Christmas for him to say that.










Kiawe, not even flinching at the Skulls' threat; decides to use Turtonator instead! Must have been one of Skynet's lesser-known ventures (everybody already did a Phineas and Ferb joke at this one, I went with Terminator ones instead when he was introduced).







Pikachu and Turtonator put up an impressive fight, even more when Kiawe activates his Z-Move: Inferno Overdrive! While some people have suggested a Yo-Kai Watch comparison, much like the Digimon one for Mega Evolution in the XY series: I don't see it. I get more of a Tokusatsu vibe. Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes, Super Sentai, and the most common example to westerners: Power Rangers.






Totally overwhelmed by Kiawe's Z-Power, the Skull Grunts sheepishly flee the scene. As for some of the other members: I reckon we'll see Guzma and Plumeria before too long. Like in the games, I guess the creators didn't want to blow their load too early.








Professor Kukui then explains the concept of Z-Moves as well as the role they play in Alola, which excites Ash even further for his journey there!















Kukui is impressed with Ash's fighting spirit, and he also likes to incorporate Pokémon moves into his speech. Kiawe even has a little smirk at this strapping young man from Kanto! I will get more into their dynamic in the second half of this recap, in case you're wondering.






















At dinner, Ash reflects on the events of that day with his mother. He wonders: did he really see the guardian of Tapu Koko earlier that day?











This question is answered when Tapu Koko leads Ash and Pikachu into town, and he presents Ash with a Z-Ring! I have one of those, I just need to put fresh batteries in it and I'll really be in business.












At Tapu Koko's approval, Ash clips the Z-Ring onto his hand; effectively starting his time in the Alola region! So, much like Yo-Kai Watch, a young man is given an item that's worn on the wrist by a mischievous spirit that can be amplified by inserting the proper trinkets into it; and serve as a toy/game tie-in. Enlighten me on the difference between the two again? Besides the fact that this one has been around longer, has a bit more action and I actually like it? I mean, what's the difference at this point?
 


 





So, with his mother's blessing; Ash decides to stay with Professor Kukui and take classes in Alola! Answering the previous paragraph's question: while both series are promoting a Japanese video game and accompanying tie-ins, this one seems to have taken the premise of the other show and done it significantly better in my opinion. Among other reasons I'll get into in the second half, this anime actually takes the care to set up the enviorments and scenarios it's presenting and slowly drawing you into it instead of trying to hammer you into submission. It also helps that I'm getting to know the students on Melemele Island more in 25 episodes than the ones in Springdale/New Sakura Town in almost 170. Even though I used to hold similar feelings some fans have towards the various rebrands of the series (note: the original series got me into it, I was initially dismissive of AG; but later warmed to it as time passed), the fact that it's the longest-running anime based on a video game ever clearly means the top brass have done something right. With that on the table, I will move on to the next part of this premiere.







The next part opens at the Pokémon Academy, where Lana is practicing making balloons with her Popplio. As for the episode centered around them: I will think about it later down the line. I liked it, don't get me wrong; but I'm going to try not to saturate my plans with Sun and Moon recaps right away. I'm still primarily doing the movies for Pokémon related content (I will do the remaining AG movies after my 300th post), so after this, it will be back to my usual "whenever I feel like it" basis for episodes.









Sophocles is also working on coding a charge program with his Togedemaru; and Mallow is talking with Lillie about new recipes. In addition to establishing the characters with unique and distinct personalities, it also establishes the school itself as a good setting; our sort of Hogwarts or Xavier's School for the Gifted if you will.











Of course, despite Lillie's claims otherwise, she seems spooked by Mallow's Bounsweet. Admittedly, the anime does take some liberties with her character in the games; and she does get better later on. I'm still not spoiling what happens to her there: go play the games yourself if you want to know.  






Kiawe comes in from a delivery on his Charizard, and I'm surprised that the dress code is fine with his tattoos, red hair streaks, jewelry, shorts, sandals and lack of a shirt. I know Alola is based on the Hawaiian islands, where this sort of dress is common; but Holy crap, dude.










Professor Kukui introduces Ash to the class, and Ash says he's glad to be here. Likewise, I am glad to have him here. His design here still fits quite well for his demeanor, since he may have been hanging out a lot with Bill S. Preston, Esq. and Theodore "Ted" Logan before he came here.






As for any comparisons to Best Wishes: again, they don't hold much water with me as someone who liked that series and is getting a might tired of people denigrating Generation V (plan on doing more later this year to counter this belief). Personally, given the characters, setting and story structure that deviates from the usual conventions of the series; I think it's stylistically closer to the Orange Islands series.




The next part of this premiere is entitled "The Guardian's Challenge," and I am really enjoying this title card art even though the series is just starting here. I am almost caught up with the subs as well, I'm just waiting for episode 21 to get done; and you will know why when the time comes.



While Ash's new friends are surprised that Tapu Koko gave him the Z-Ring and Electirium-Z without going through the Island Challenge, Kiawe warns him of the powers and responsibility that come with wielding one. While this confuses Ash, he is eager to learn this power. Been waiting to use this joke for a while.



That is a very interesting theory, I have a simpler one: You're all not worthy.



Today's science class will be on regional variants, and Principal Oak will be teaching it. As I said earlier, while I will have to rank my favorite Alola Forms of classic Pokémon, Exeggutor is definitely on the list. I'd also much rather be part of this class than the one in Springdale/New Sakura Town. Their teacher came to class in his PJs: Samson is dressed as the Pokémon they're learning about.


Prefer Pokémon jokes to Vogon poetry any day.

Later that evening, Ash and Pikachu have dinner at Kukui's lab. I never really thought about this before, but I like how Kukui is acting as a sort of mentor and surrogate father to Ash. Even if his real father has yet to be revealed, I still reckon he's out there somewhere. 








Also, since it is the New Tens, Kukui has a smartphone; and possibly has Pokémon Go downloaded on it as well. Even if the popularity has long since peaked, I'm still addicted to that game to the point where I've integrated into my fitness plan for health class.


Meanwhile, the other students decide to surprise Ash when he comes in the next morning for class!  



While Ash is at first worried he's late, he's instead greeted by all three female protagonists of this series! Given the end of the XY series, I imagine his relationship status will probably be set to "It's complicated."








Kukui even arrives later, and they decide to have lunch; courtesy of the restaurant Mallow helps her family run! I would have gotten into more detail, but I'm behind enough on this as it is and I want to get this finished before the series officially starts its run.





 Tapu Koko comes to the galley, and Ash thanks the guardian for the Z-ring! However, it has been established that the guardian sometimes plays pranks; by Lillie's own admission.








Sure enough, Tapu Koko snatches Ash's hat and heads into the forest! While I admit it's kind of weird we still haven't gotten the shiny Tapu Koko or Ash-Pikachu DLC officially in the US, I'm not ruling them out just yet. Besides, I look forward to playing with the Midnight Lycanroc anyway.









After leading Ash and his companions on a merry chase through the woods, Tapu Koko challenges Ash to a battle!








Ash, ever eager for a challenge, accepts after Tapu Koko returns his hat! Here we go!







Tapu Koko activates Ash's Electirium-Z, and now the battle truly begins!












In addition to the Z-Ring making up for not getting Mega Evolution (though based on what happened in the games, I will see where this thread goes), I still think the animation actually suits the scenario incredibly well. I am among those who likes the art here, and I submit those who are so quick to dunk on the style probably don't understand how animation works. It's not like OLM whipped the whole thing together in 6 days like an episode of South Park, this change was most likely planned out in advance.


















Anyway, Pikachu activates one of its Z-Moves: Gigavolt Havoc!








While Tapu Koko is unscathed, the crystal disintegrates and the Guardian vanishes in a flash of light! Again, I submit that the writers and animators didn't want to blow their load too early; and since I just watched this week's episode a few minutes ago, I've been satisfied with what I've seen from the raws.


Even though Ash is disappointed that his crystal is gone, he decides to take this as motivation to undergo the Island Challenge! With the encouragement of his new friends, the journey in Alola has begun!

So, we close on the next morning at breakfast; where Ash is given the latest model of the Pokédex. We'll get to that after my 300th post, so don't worry there.






















I am very glad I was able to finally look at this after all this time, and it's just what I needed to take a break from class for a while. With this series' idealistic tone and colorful animation being established right from this 1-hour pilot; I can honestly say that Generation VII is the series that I wanted Yo-Kai Watch to be. With more content on the way, I now have more material to tap for analyzing this series and often cracking jokes about it. I also can honestly say that I enjoyed it more than the Mega Evolution specials. In hindsight, while the animation and battles did impress me; the liberties they took with the games made no sense to me and I still find Alain VERY difficult to like in human terms. This anime also furthers my belief that Bill and Ted would have made better trainers than him: even when things are "bogus," they see the best in every situation they're in.

Admittedly, my blog has been opinionated since the beginning; and you are free to agree or disagree with whatever I write. Just don't be a dick about it like some other folks I've had to drop the banhammer on (in spite of what they might think, I took no pleasure in doing so).





Right now, however, I am going to enjoy watching this again; since the official premiere is Saturday, following an encore presentation of this pilot and the Volcanion movie on Friday evening. That will most likely be done after my other recaps of the movies from the Lucario movie onward, especially since that one also makes better use of influence from King Arthur than this really crappy-looking Guy Ritchie movie (probably going to go see Vol.2 again, since that won't kill my brain cells). Next time will finally bring my 300th post after that false start a while ago. That will be all for now. Be excellent to each other.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic blog. Thank you for this interesting post. I'm glad to read your blog. Keep it up. It's exactly what I was looking for, and I hope you'll keep posting this type of interesting blog in the future. If anyone is interested in anime series, recaps, and anime reviews of all new episodes, this is the place to be. Visit Latest Anime News for more information.

    ReplyDelete