Thursday, January 11, 2018

Recap: When Shen Hu Wins Glory

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 10th recap of Code Geass R2! It’s been a while since I covered the last episode and its sham of a political marriage; and one of my plans for this year is to finish this anime, and hope the planned remaster and third season can rectify the issues of this one. So, without any further ado (this includes the usual theme song and intro dump of the last episode), let’s open up “When Shen Hu Wins Glory,” if you’ll pardon the quasi- Engrish Romanization of the original title. 


Picking up where we left off, Zero is about to abscond with the Empress in a Knightmare Frame! Of course: actually delving into what sort of consequences the actions would have politically? (Scoffs) The Hell with that: we’ve got a fucking robot! 


Admittedly, the design of this one, the Zangetsu is actually not that bad, as Zero orders Tohdoh to take care of Schneizel while he makes off with the Empress! 


As Schneizel and the Eunuchs try to leave, the plan goes to “phase three” (and I’m not talking about Marvel either) as we’re treated to another leery cleavage shot of a female pilot. Well, at least she’s in full costume this time, but I would still appreciate it if R3 and the remaster did away with this. How much overboob do you need, Taniguchi?! 


The animation, as per usual, is fantastic; but this time, editing and camera work seem much more choppy than previous episodes. I know how tight deadlines can be (I don’t like missing ones either, especially not ones I set for myself); but this definitely needed a bit more time in post.

The Zangetsu is also apparently on the same level of footing as Suzaku’s Knightmare Frame. It would be nice if we could have actually built up this development, but like most of the stuff in this anime, it just comes out of nowhere.

Again with the float unit? That plot thread was stupid in “Operation: Pacific Surprise Attack,” and it’s even dumber here. After Tohdoh disables the unit, Zero demands they break off the attack. Why? You’ve got the upper hand, you’re supposed to be a clever strategist! Do you honestly think they wouldn’t account for the escape attempt you’re making?! Jor-El, Arceus, Bowser, this is bad.

More of the Eunuchs? Not only do they intercept Xingke’s order to cut off the enemy’s escape with the “Dragon Calvary,” their voices just grate on my ears every time I hear them. Not only does it give me flashbacks to Mr. Funioshi from Breakfast at Tiffany’s, it just makes me wish Xingke would tear out their voice boxes just to shut them up!


So, after that, CC and Tamaki try to help the Empress escape in the back of a truck while Kallen provides air support. Between Tamaki’s inept navigation, explosions and confusing editing; it feels like watching Riding With Death again. 





Apparently CC has been here before, and Zero actually sounds like he’s about to describe what might be a real plot; but sadly, this is not to be. It just devolves into the same fauxlosophical description of international politics that I’ve seen before. I really hope they get back to the balance R1 had with these elements in the remaster and third season.



The Empress then says she isn’t sure she understands all this. Even the characters themselves aren’t buying this crap anymore, and that’s really not a good sign when there’s still 15 episodes left to handle.

As Tamaki demands a position that’s more than a glorified roadie, Zero replies that can be discussed “once this crisis has passed.” If I waited for that, I highly doubt I’d get anything done anymore. So, I just have crises galvanize me into motivating myself instead.


So, the bridge at Shen Chun is out, but it turns out the Black Knights planned for this! Krispy Kreme: I’ve covered anime from the 1960s that didn’t have this much plot contrivance! I am this close to switching back to my reruns of Voyager again, I’m serious. 


Of course, after the pursuit forces are taken out; the Eunuchs immediately drop the charges against Xingke so he can help. Which makes this scene entirely pointless! Go ahead and add that to the list.



It turns out Zero planned for this to happen, and accounted for Xingke also wanting to free the Empress. He planned a coup at the same time Xingke was. Zero, the DCEU Lex Luthor called; he wants to know how why you’ve co-opted his way of planning!

Before they can call reinforcements form India, however, they’re ambushed by another mecha: the Knightmare Frame Shen Hu from the title! Barely ten minutes in, and they’re still desperate to surprise me. I’m just letting them know they had a snowball’s chance in Hell.





To be fair, this may not be the worst episode of R2 I’ve seen or looked at here, but it is one of the most shockingly dull ones I’ve done. Even when Kallen clashes with Xingke, I don’t really feel much tension as a viewer. I feel like I’m about to nod off on my keyboard in the middle of typing. Almost six years of doing this; and I’m starting to build up an immunity to this anime.

Seriously, despite all the technobabble about the mechs fighting right now; it just boils down to a couple pilots trying and failing to one-up each other despite dwindling ammunition and supplies. That translates to “slightly less boring than shutting down my computer and looking at a blank screen for 24 minutes” at this point. 







Somehow, Kallen is taken hostage in a flurry of noise and gunfire; but Xingke is unable to finish her off due to an injury from before. Goddamn it guys: this is an even bigger tease than last time! Seriously: I refuse to defend that chess game from before; since even Deep Blue would call bullshit on it!

Despite the Chinese Federation taking Kallen hostage, the men on the Ikaruga try to hold out until the reinforcements from India arrive. … Too easy.



Even Kallen seems bored in this whole ordeal, as am I. Insert another joke about her tight red flight suit here.

You are like cinnamon!



So, Zero tries another move out of left field, feigning the idea that India is betraying them too! Really, Zero? That’s as transparent a deke as using Bo Jackson against the Eagles’ QB in Tecmo Bowl!


Zero then declares, “Now we’ll teach Xing-ke the difference between strategy and tactics!”

Strategy, noun, Oxford English definition: the art of planning and directing overall military operations and movements in a war or battle. Often contrasted with tactics.

Tactics, noun, Oxford English definition: the art of disposing armed forces in order of battle and of organizing operations, especially during contact with an enemy.

Good grief, it’s the whole “communal vs public pool” thing all over again. In any case, the script where that makes any sense in terms of realistic dialogue is currently lost somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle.

The scene even time for some photos of the welcome party from before in one of the penultimate festival episodes. Don’t worry, I have a bit prepared for when the time comes, but Suzaku questioning this as an “invasion of privacy” is downright quaint nowadays. At the risk of editorializing, I refer you to his counterpart in Code MENT and his misadventures at soup. 




Also, I can’t really joke about his comment regarding Shirley, knowing what lies ahead. It just doesn’t seem right.

So, the battle on the hill tries to play itself like it’s the battle of Mutara, rather than the Briar Patch scenario it actually is. Just as well: in the process of watching these episodes again to write about them, I never know whether I’m going to get something that’s boring or something that’s so infuriating it blows my mind. Just like Washington these days. Total coincidence: no disrespect intended!






It actually turns out that Xingke planned for this too, since the irrigation breaks and leaves everyone covered in what I presume is the same septic water this episode is made of! The whole claim of shoddy construction is nowhere near as far-fetched as the Eunuchs think either, especially these days. Also: there’s a metaphor in that water; and it’s not good.

With few options left, Zero gives the order to retreat; but not before firing off another weapon at the enemy forces. Once again, the bad news is that I have no idea what just happened to who or why. The good news is I don’t care! 




Even though I still don’t like Rivalz, this bit of him, Rolo and Shirley at the computer is actually not that far off from the state of things right now. This anime was apparently set in 2017, but things are only slightly more shitty than how that year actually was!





We then close on the various forces scattering for their next attack, with Zero having another weapon ready. There’s a little bit with the news of the coup and a decoy for Lelouch, but it’s little consequence. Ten episodes down, 15 more to go.





“When Shen Hu Wins Glory” isn’t the worst episode of R2 I’ve done, but that’s the only thing it really wins in my eyes. It’s a small booby prize when I just get a dull episode in a series full of lackluster ones. Even with the animation being well-crafted as usual, the lack of an interesting plot; clear character motivations or cohesive editing make for one of the most tedious things I’ve covered recently, and I’ve seen Black Clover. However, being a sleep aid is at least a step above trying to melt my brain into a nutrient-rich slurry. Still, with my marathon of the Pokémon movies complete, this is one of my next big projects for the coming year: finishing what I started with this series. I doubt I will be able to take back any of what I’ve said before, but I know I can’t ignore my past experiences with this if the remaster and third season are on the way. All I hope for them is to be good: that’s all. On that note, I will determine what I want to do next after I find out how busy I’ll be with class this term, and I will see you then. Later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment