Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Recap: The Lovesick Pig


Hello everyone. Since I am occupied with some assignments I have for school, I thought I would do something different this month: since it’s February, I thought I would make this month a celebration of love, and I will start with one of my favorite episodes of Lupin III Part IV! While this incarnation of the series may be the latest attempt to make an impact on our shores, the character of Lupin III has been something of an institution in its native Japan; though this charming thief has been something of a cult favorite here as well. So, I thought I would do an episode that I really enjoyed in between my attempts to finish my work with Code Geass R2. Let’s open up “The Lovesick Pig!” 



After a brief intro narration from Lupin, we open on Lupin being invited to an auction of the wine collection of Count McCalman. It seems the count has passed on under mysterious circumstances, and the people in charge of auctioning off his collection of vintage wine also request the people invited bring dates. Naturally, Lupin ends up being caught between his lover/partner in crime Fujiko Mine as well as his starlet wife, Rebecca Minamoto. He doesn’t seem like the type to use social networking, but if he did, that alone would make his relationship status “it’s complicated.”

That night, as he gets ready for the night’s festivities, Jigen remarks that he can’t just take both the ladies; he has to choose. I smell shenanigans at this party. On that note, I do like how Lupin presents himself as a character. A young adult that still acts like a swaggering teenager may not seem like that great an idea on paper, but it’s a concept that works quite well as he puts on his formal suit. 

That's a nice outfit, Lupin. It would be a shame if something happened to it.






Despite the claims otherwise, Lupin is actually going to try to wine and dine both Rebecca and Fujiko. Good thing he’s at this kind of party: he’s going to need a lot of liquid courage for that. 


The auction begins with the crown jewel of the count’s collection: the Lovesick Pig wine from the title! This shot is the most I can show without violating Google’s policy. 




In addition to the count’s death, it also turns out that his wife disappeared under mysterious circumstances; and they fell on hard times in the later years of their marriage.


On top of that, the wine is also a powerful aphrodisiac that can help people find their true love, so it’s naturally worth quite a bit of cash. Based on what happens later, though, things are definitely not what they seem. 


As Lupin is torn between lovers, it also turns out that Rebecca and Fujiko have other ideas than to pay the exorbitant price at auction for the wine; and plan to use Lupin in their own way. I just love a hobby where I get to type things like that. 




Rebecca and Fujiko then slip away to the wine cellar, both using their own tactics to slip by the guards and crack the safe. 





As Lupin wonders where his dates have gone, he notices everyone else at the party is acting rather strange. Must be a Hell of a vintage they’re having.






I must say, given the innuendo and inebriation in this episode, it definitely earns its TV-14 rating. With its current time slot on Saturday nights; I am once again going to presume the moral guardians are probably sleeping.





Rebecca and Fujiko return, and in addition to cracking the safe, they seem to have gotten a whiff of the Lovesick Pig; and they both want to jump Lupin’s bones as a result. It’s fitting, given what he tried to pull; that it worked all too well.





Then, the curator of the collection tries to escape with a barrel of the wine; but this leads to a very crazy motorcycle chase in the vineyards between him, Fujiko and Rebecca! Nice work: you could be part of Kingsman with those skills.




Lupin gets involved, and it turns out that this curator is the Count after all! Now that’s a kick in the teeth. 




The mystery is solved when the stolen barrel is cracked open: it has the Count’s missing wife inside! Given how that’s red wine in that barrel, the symbolism is flowing as free as the vino. 







So, we close on Rebecca and Fujiko leaving, and Lupin being dazed at escaping from the party; minus his pants and one of his shoes. Long story short: they were the cost of his escape from the winos, as well as damage to his jacket. Tell the count that he owes him a new outfit and pair of shoes: Oxfords, not Brogues. 





After viewing this episode, I personally do not endorse and/or encourage the actions taken in this episode. I do, however, find them hilarious. 


“The Lovesick Pig” was a great way to kick of a sort of celebration of love this month, even if it’s in an unconventional way. The animation combines 1970s swagger with modern wizardry; and is a great take on a character that’s a show I’m really enjoying. I am almost done with the show on Toonami, and there is plenty of other content in Lupin’s fictional universe that I definitely can recommend checking out. I know I will: The Castle of Cagliostro is a great film, and was the first film by Hayao Miyazaki; becoming highly influential among both anime and animation as a whole. I have big plans for my 400th post; you’ll just have to wait and see what they are. I also have some stuff planned for Valentine’s day and president’s day weekend; you’ll just have to wait and see what they are. That’s all for now. Bang.

1 comment:

  1. So, the symbolism of the red wine was that he killed his wife because she wouldn't make more love potion? Or something else I kind of didn't get it

    ReplyDelete