Monday, October 8, 2018

Recap: Kuwabara's Spirit Sword

Happy Halloween everyone. Welcome to my look at my favorite episode of YuYu Hakusho, which happens to be from the Genkai Tournament arc! As part of breaking this moratorium, let's open up "Kuwabara's Spirit Sword!"

I also made sure to watch the episodes before this, so I knew what's going on. Having completed the trials to qualify, Yusuke and Kuwabara join a cast of colorful fighters to try and gain Genkai's special technique. There is also a demon known as "Rando" among them, and the fight is only lost by knockout or death!

The fighters are as follows: the swordsman, Musashi, 4th degree black belt in kendo! Shurin, psychic in training! Kabano, martial arts master! Chien Po, the wanderer! Kazamaru, ninja bodyguard! Kuroda, contract killer! Kazuma Kuwabara, punk! Yusuke Urameshi, super punk!

Kazamaru effortlessly wins the first fight, finishing Kuroda with a single blast from his "spirit gun!" Yusuke also remarks if he faces him, he can't use that technique in combat.

Botan also comes to wish Yusuke luck, wearing the most 1992 "contemporary" outfit I have seen in ages. I have read the manga, but maybe it's been longer than I thought since I saw this. Especially since I saw this at age 10 in 2002.

As the tournament continues, we reach the fight that’s the centerpiece of this episode: the fight between Kuwabara and Musashi!



Though Kuwabara is indeed a powerful fighter from his time on the streets; Musashi is a lethal force even with just a wooden sword!

Still, Kuwabara is able to endure Musashi's attacks, even having a piece of the sword broken off on him! He does lament that such a tiny piece broke off, but something even more impressive is about to happen.



As Mushashi tries to finish Kuwabara off, Kuwabara's "spirit energy" is harnessed to counter the attack with his signature move, the "spirit sword!"


Unless my ears are playing tricks on me, I think Lucasfilm is going to sue someone.


Kuwabara has won his match, so the next fight is between Kabano and Yusuke! As someone who did read how this played out in the manga, I will say the circumstances are a bit different from what I remember.



Though Yusuke has his own fighting skill as a rotten punk, Kabano has the aid of a mask that lets him focus his other four senses at the cost of his sight! To be continued...




"Kuwabara's Spirit Sword" is a strong entry in the Genkai Tournament, and worthy of being my favorite episode of YuYu Hakusho. I once again apologize for how short this is, but I'm going on vacation later this month and I want to focus mainly on the last couple Yo-Kai Watch movies. I want to have everything done and ready to post by Halloween night. That will be all for now. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment