Wednesday, April 14, 2021

My Thoughts and Concerns for the Netflix Gundam Movie.

I've resisted addressing this topic for years, given how this project has been in development Hell for almost as long as the franchise's entire existence; but now; it seems something might be happening. I was personally under the impression the project had even been shelved again (partially due to the pandemic, mostly due to the fact previous pitches never got made), though I've just now found out this isn't the case. As of this writing, Netflix and Legendary Pictures are moving forward with a live-action remake of Sunrise's "Mobile Suit Gundam" franchise; with the script being written by Brian K. Vaughn and Jordan Vogt-Roberts being tapped to direct.


Courtesy: IGN/Sunrise Pictures



Much as I did with the Gantz film being announced, I'm honestly more concerned than excited. While I do respect the Gundam franchise; I still am uncertain about what the project will entail. I never really had the same level of excitement for the idea as others (you're talking about someone who was more enthused about seeing the Monsterverse version of Mechagodzilla than this); and I will explain in detail why. It won't be a straightforward list like before; but it's something I've been cautious about for a while now. Here are my thoughts and concerns for a live-action Gundam movie.

The most obvious concern I have with this news is the method of distribution: though I have appreciated the variety of content of anime and other material on Netflix along with other streaming platforms; the flip side to the coin is one I learned about very early on as a user: not everything the platform has is gold. For every Devilman Crybaby on the service, we've gotten a live-action Death Note (still wish we lived in the timeline where Shane Black got his pitch made). I'm not one of those people who would cancel their subscription over one unsatisfactory show or movie; especially seeing as there's quite literally thousands of others to choose from (that's like not wanting to shop at a store full of stuff you want because there's one item you don't). On that note, given how the platform already has some of the anime movies and TV series on there; I am worried about what could happen there. It's one thing when the platform bought the rights to Pokémon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution and new seasons of the anime (still planning to review the new one when it gets dubbed); it's another when you're filming a new adaptation out of whole cloth; which brings me to my next concern.

While normally a new adaptation of a long-running series; particularly one as significant as this would naturally be expected to be an improvement, it's not that simple. G-Savior, the previous version; is a textbook example of how not to adapt any work into live-action; to the point where Sunrise refused to sign off the movie rights unless they were given confidence they wouldn’t repeat the mistakes made before. Though Legendary has promised as such, myself and others have remained unconvinced. Before that, there was the infamous FMV game "Gundam 0079: The War for Earth." That game predated the English dubs of the anime (not counting the failed Doozy Bots pilot; which, much like the failed "Saban Moon" pilot for Sailor Moon; thankfully never went to series), and Rerez can definitely attest to how bad it is. You should check them and their video on the game out; but the short version is that the story changes made no sense; the game was full of really bad acting and CGI, and the franchise is definitely not suited for a point-and-click game. I am kind of amused by the stinger in hindsight: it's actually kind of cute they thought they were getting a sequel. Yeah, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero says hi. Suffice to say, I'm approaching it with the old saying as follows: hope for the best, but expect the worst. 

From the service that canceled "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" and greenlit "Thunder Force!"

Then there's the issue of tone: while IGN made the case that the different interpretations of the series would make this an ideal choice for an adaptation (whether it's adapting existing material or writing their own story); I'm not so certain. I have long respected the bulk of the anime for its story (SEED Destiny aside) for how it's able to approach the idea of a robotic war and making it feel believable; no matter what timeline they've used. That being said, I honestly don't want to see this series approached the same way as the live-action Transformers films; which, for all their spectacle, are on the same rough level of intellect as the battles my brother and I had with my Optimus and his Cyclonus growing up (really glad the rumors of Bay directing Evangelion have long since been debunked). I certainly hope Roberts and Vaughn actually do have the respect for the material they claim to have; because I honestly don't want this to be turned into another campy YA story. If Sunrise is directly involved, hopefully they can stay true to what made the material work to begin with.

However, beyond all this; is the long shadow cast by the numerous failed pitches in the past. There were drafts of the script dating back to 1985 that ultimately never got made; and even with this one finally starting production (I've made a habit of refusing to address anything that hasn't started filming at the very least, which is why I actively chose not to address it till now), there is an inkling that this might not be the adaptation that people have been waiting for. This is also applicable to other proposed adaptations such as Voltron; and I've often suggested that it would be better to make the films animated instead of live-action. In fact, I'm honestly way more interested in the next anime film in the series that's coming out than this one. Bottom line: if more than 35 years of attempts haven't panned out, I'm not going to be surprised if this one doesn't either. Given the circumstances, I don't know how I'll be disappointed given that my expectations can't really go much lower.

Suffice to say, even as someone who has appreciated Roberts' work in the past; I'm reserving judgment on this film until I actually get a chance to see it myself. That will be all for now, take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment