Monday, May 10, 2021

Pokémon Master Journeys Coming Soon, Yet More Sales Updates, Detective Pikachu Movie Sequel in Limbo

Hey fellas- Here’s some updates about the 25th anniversary of Pokémon as I continue work on my other material. These all came up fairly recently, so I thought I would address them while the iron is still hot.

First, the title of the 24th season has been announced this summer via a press release on their official website; entitled “Pokémon Master Journeys.” I like this title quite a bit, and the English dub will release later this year. I knew it would only be a matter of time before more episodes were ordered; and I will bring you more info as it becomes available.

Next, we have yet more sales updates as of the latest Nintendo fiscal report: the Nintendo Switch has crossed 84.59 million units sold worldwide, surpassing the 81.5 million units sold by the Game Boy Advance, the 80-82 million units sold by the PSP; and just over the 84 million units sold by the Xbox 360. Surpassing the 86 million units sold by the PS3 is a lofty-yet-plausible goal. Of course, the Pokémon titles still rank among the bestsellers on the list for a variety of reasons (not just the pandemic or 25th anniversary either); with Sword and Shield currently at 21.10 million sold (boosted a bit by the Expansion Pass, which I’m currently working on a full review of) and Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee now at 13.28 million sold (these numbers give me confidence for the Sinnoh titles coming soon). The top seller remains Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 35.39 million units, closely followed by Animal Crossing: New Horizons at 32.62 million units; Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at 23.84 million and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at  22.2 million. The list also contains Super Mario Odyssey at 20.83 million, Super Mario Party at 14.79 million and Splatoon 2 at 12.21 million; with New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe rounding out the top 10 at 10.44 million units.

Lastly, on a less encouraging note; is an update that comes from an Inverse article interviewing Justice Smith about the HBO Max series “Generation.” When asked about a potential sequel to “Pokémon Detective Pikachu,” Smith said this quote as follows: “I would love to participate in Detective Pikachu 2. I don't know if it's going to happen. I think we have to just kind of bury our hopes. I don't think it's going to happen. I really hope so though. Honestly, I'm such a huge fan, who knows, who knows? I hope so.”

I have admittedly mixed feelings toward this news: on one hand, I understand why given how quiet it’s been lately (the only things we know about the next game are that it will be on Switch and that he’ll find his dad a different way than in the movie). On the other, Paramount is already in the process of making the Sonic sequel for April 2022 and WB is fast-tracking a sequel to the Mortal Kombat reboot (which I saw and enjoyed on opening night). The film is easily the highest-grossing Pokémon movie by a landslide, making well over $430 million worldwide on a $150 million budget; and while Smith’s words aren’t an outright “no,” they’re pretty far from an overt “yes” as well. Thankfully, unlike other video game adaptations; the movie works as its own self-contained story while still having a whole world that can be explored. 

As previously-stated, I’m open to the idea; and while I’m not at liberty to confirm or deny anything right now; whether that entails a followup theatrically or on HBO Max; I welcome it. Between the worldwide situation and the cast and crew being occupied with other projects; I’m all right with rewatching the movie again even if a follow-up is in limbo. That will be all for now, all I have left to say is go watch the subs of the Ash VS Iris battle, it really is that good. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment