Thursday, July 1, 2021

Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway (2021) First Viewing Thoughts

So, I just finished watching "Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway," based on the novel "Hathaway's Flash," and here are my first viewing thoughts on this movie.

The story, which takes place in year 0105 of the Universal Century timeline; sees Hathaway Noa, son of the character Bright Noa; caught in the midst of a conflict with a group known as Mafty, who are thought to have ties to Char's rebellion. As Hathaway grapples with both his past as Bright's son and a mysterious young woman named Gigi Andalucia, he must take up arms in a new Gundam prototype to forge his place in the conflict between the Earth Federation and the Space Colonies.

Though not the only novel to be set in this long-running series, "Hathaway's Flash" is notable for being a canonical novel written by series creator Yoshiyuki Tomino. So, even with my particular experiences with the series; I was excited to see how this movie would do, and I'm glad to say I'm quite satisfied with it. Even just watching this on my computer (and having to adjust the brightness on my display), the film is visually stunning, paying homage to the original series from 1979 while also showing how many advances have come since then. 

While not the only recent Gundam adaptation set in the UC timeline, it's definitely joined the list of my favorite entries in recent memory. Even though I haven't read the novel (I definitely will as soon as I can find it), I can definitely say I found Hathaway's arc of trying to forge his own path and attempting to live up to his father's legacy quite compelling. Even if I remain skeptical of any potential live-action adaptation; I can definitely say I enjoyed this movie and can recommend it. Netflix is also streaming some of the earlier Gundam movies as well; I will be watching those again over the course of this month. That will be all for now, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment