Tuesday, July 27, 2021

My Thoughts on a Potential Netflix Live-Action Pokémon Series.

Hey everyone: I once again apologize for the current situation; but complications arose behind the scenes. Rest assured; they will be back on track as soon as things settle down. In the meantime, I thought I would share something that just came up.

Following the news of HBO Max developing live-action Pokémon spinoffs and the current limbo of the Detective Pikachu movie sequel (just rewatched it again the other night), Netflix is developing a live-action spinoff series about the franchise as reported by Variety. While exact details are scarce at this time, this comes off the platform streaming several of the recent movies as well as the upcoming “Pokémon Master Journeys” season.

Admittedly, given the circumstances; I think this could go either way given my standing as a longtime fan. For every adaptation that has worked on the platform such as Castlevania or Devilman Crybaby; there are others that have not such as the 2017 Death Note and Fate: The Winx Saga. Though I don’t know what to expect at this stage; given the success of Pokémon Detective Pikachu (as well as Sonic the Hedgehog) along with Nintendo wanting to experiment more with other multimedia adaptations of their games; the platform definitely has the money and resources to pull it off if all goes well. If all else fails, I really can’t imagine it being the worst thing ever. 

Whether or not the show embraces the 1990s aesthetic of the original series or puts a modern spin on the premise like the recent movies have; I’m eager to hear more. My tonal template for adapting the Indigo League would be “Stand by Me” meets “Star Wars: A New Hope.” I’m going to get back to work on my other projects; but I thought I would strike while this proverbial iron is still relatively hot. I will bring you any further updates as they happen. That will be all for now: take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment