Saturday, August 7, 2021

Why the Villain of the Digimon Tamers Anniversary Play is a Bad Idea (Featuring an Open Letter to Chiaki Konaka From a Longtime Fan).

(Sighs) For the most part, I tend not to contribute to or follow online drama. Regrettably, however; there have been times where others' words and actions have forced my hand.

Case in point: off the heels of the announcement of a Digimon Adventure 02 film (which I have mixed feelings towards, given the involvement of the creators of Last Kizuna and 02 not being my favorite season) and a new anime known as "Digimon: Ghost Game" (which has potential), the long-awaited Digimon Tamers 20th anniversary project has been announced. The results were... not what I was expecting or hoping for.

Rather than a new anime or even a "20 years after" reunion, it's a stage play set in the same fictional universe. Admittedly, a stage adaptation is not a bad idea on paper; but unfortunately, it gets worse. The play, written by the series' head writer Chiaki Konaka; features an antagonist whose motivations are rooted in "political correctness" and "cancel culture." (sighs)

As someone who is notable for not considering themself the former and doesn't actively follow the latter (I didn't really take the bait about that business with Lola Bunny or Potato Head, for example); I'm going to explain, to the best of my ability without directly going after Konaka as a person why that seems like a bad idea. Also, I am well aware of Konaka's beliefs as of late; those will be addressed in an open letter in this post as well. 

I typically am quite good at separating the art from the artist, but I also admit that's considerably more difficult when said artist displays an openness of this kind off the clock; and when their values are so baked into the material that isn't always possible. That's part of the reason I've had to turn down so many requests over the years, but that's beside the point. 

My point is, on top of complaining about these ideas becoming something of a cliché in itself (to the point where I've found their detractors more irritating than their supporters); it just seems like too easy a target given what the series established before. When the show began with a young man spawning a kaiju from a drawing in his notebook and the final villain that pushed the psyche of a child to its breaking point, it seems underwhelming at best and misguided at worst. 

Even as someone who isn't against the idea of allegory in fiction in and of itself (Heck, my favorite film is The Dark Knight; which has been seen as a parable for the War on Terror set in the DC Universe, but also serves as an excellent crime thriller on its own merit which just happens to have Batman as its protagonist), it's admittedly something that's difficult to get right and very easy to screw up. 

While I may be semi-retired from this blog, even I understand the idea of wanting to make fiction that comments on our world's events; but sometimes things need more rewrites. This idea of a "singular online value system" is not really an argument that a lot of people are making, and the people that are usually are the ones that are typically given specific instructions; which they chose not to follow before the admins kick them out and block their IP address. I can't believe I'm typing this, but even "Runaway Locomon" had a better story idea than this; and I openly have admitted I'm not a fan of "Runaway Locomon."

With that in mind, a villain that is motivated by these ideas seems largely antithetical to the previously-established canon. Personally, it seems more like some petty individual on an imageboard than a legitimate threat. On top of this, with these motivators already becoming increasingly downplayed if not outright fading from memory; this play is already looking a touch dated, becoming something of an unintentional period piece before the curtain even raises on its first performance. I don't claim to speak for everyone; but a large number of fans didn't react well to the table read. I certainly didn't, and that is the main reason behind this post. As has often been said: I'm not mad, just disappointed.

The most disappointing thing about this, however; is that this continuity had the potential to make a follow-up that truly lived up to the legacy of its senior, but Konaka instead chose a route that didn't sit well with a lot of people. Sadly, instead of backing away; he decided to double down, claiming he isn't a total extremist while also bemoaning how podcasters he listened to got taken offline. Granted, he hasn't taken as big a hit to his reputation as others in recent memory; but it's clear that his recent stance on current events has impacted his legacy. I will not be sharing said beliefs here; which should give you an idea of how controversial they are. Let's just say that somebody REALLY wants to know who deuced in the urinal.

Enclosed in this post is an open letter to Chiaki Konaka. I am not trying to insult the man or his work, I am simply pointing out that I'm among the people that isn't onboard with the ideas proposed in this play or elsewhere.







I apologize for how heavy this post is; but this kind of behavior is not something I can defend. The idea that the creator is "stating the truth" when the justification has been proven demonstrably false numerous times is utter nonsense. Anyway, among other posts I'm working on; my review of the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra is just about done; and I will be posting it before I go out of town later this month. For now, I will be going to see The Suicide Squad this afternoon. That will be all for now. Stay safe, reject fear, embrace facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment