Sunday, February 27, 2022

Pokémon X Daniel Arsham- "A Ripple in Time" (2022) Thoughts.

Well, this is definitely a project I’ve had my eyes on a while; and given my fandom, I was duty-bound to address it once I got a chance. It seems Daniel Arsham has made an art installation as part of a collaboration with the Pokémon Company, and while I can’t physically go to the installation as it’s in Japan (which has numerous challenges added to the obvious reasons); I can talk about the anime short that’s helping promote it and playing at the exhibit. So, let’s open up “Pokémon X Daniel Arsham: A Ripple in Time.”



Done in the style of the original series, even having longtime series director Kunihiko Yuyama onboard; it’s a big tribute to the anime and its fans. The first few cameos include Mew, Sinnoh Champion Cynthia and even the recurring little girl and her mother.

One key inclusion is Celebi; who ends up watching over a match with Ash and Pikachu, who are battling a Cubone whose trainer resembles an animated version of Daniel. 

Brock and Misty are also watching from the stands, and I also see Gary, Richie, Casey and Team Rocket in their vendor disguises. 

Before the final blow is struck; Celebi opens a portal in time, which sends Ash and Pikachu to a very different place; full of massive marble statues! This is the main attraction of this anime; and a big example of how something can go from subculture to pop culture and now pop art.

Ash and Pikachu follow Celebi, passing by the statues on the veranda; leading to a small house near a zen garden! There’s a reveal of Dialga, who can also control time; and the short ends on a screen of TV static and the classic “To be continued” screen…

Even though this short is part of an art installation; I really enjoy it as a reversion of the original anime’s style. In fact; if you were to ask me what I would want out of a return to this art style; this is closest to what I imagined. I do not know if this can be replicated; but I am very much open to the idea, especially as this year marks the 25th anniversary of the anime as a whole. For now, “A Ripple in Time” is a fantastic collaboration between Pokémon and Daniel Arsham that I have watched many times to talk about it. Thank you for letting me share it with you all, and I will see you tomorrow with my look at this month’s “Pokémon Presents.”  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment