Monday, December 26, 2022

Honest Thoughts- It's Time For Pokémon to Leave Team Rocket Behind.

I have been wanting to make this post for ages, and now is as good a time as any. With Pokémon Scarlet and Violet proving a sales success (rough launch aside) and the anime set to be reversioned in 2023 yet again (I will address the matter in a separate post at a later date), here are my honest thoughts on why it's time for the series to leave Team Rocket behind.

While they've never been my favorite characters (the professors have held that distinction, with Legends Arceus and Generation IX furthering that), they have been among the few constants in the 25-year history of the series. They've even spilled over into the video games and other material from time to time. Sometimes they've posed a threat, but they're usually goofy supporting characters at the most. That out of the way,  I'm going to present a few reasons why I wouldn't object to the 2023 anime retiring their characters.

First, is the longevity they've had. Out of all the supporting characters in the anime, Jessie, James and Meowth have had the longest and most consistent presence throughout its run. While I personally would have done it much sooner (say, after Generation II); I think it's a good time to let other villains enter the space and leave as friends; which should make a good segue into my next reason.




Credit: Kiana Mai



Second, would be the opportunity to introduce new villains to the anime: while the video games have had a rotating range of antagonists from Generation III onwards; Team Rocket still remains as the villains after all this time. Not counting supporting roles or spinoffs, they have continued to be the main source of woe for the heroes. The usage of Team Skull, and Guzma in particular in the Sun and Moon series is a good example of what can happen when someone else drives the conflict (I have even more reviews I want to do to showcase this); and no matter what happens in the Generation IX anime; I am open to the possibility of Team Star being included.

Left- Ortega and Atticus. Center- Eri and Giacomo. Right- Mela.


The third reason to illustrate this point is just how significant the shakeups to the anime have been over just the last two generations. Much like the bestselling games that inspired them; the willingness to break the formula has led to some of its best moments in years. This screenshot I took during the World Coronation Series' Masters Eight shows how even if they give up their roles at Team Rocket; they can still have normal lives as podcasters.

Jessie, James and Meowth watching the Masters Eight finals.


However, beyond all this is the changing nature of the franchise itself. Despite claims otherwise, the whole series has been able to honor its legacy while also forging a path forward. The acclaim and success of Legends: Arceus is proof that you can make an entertaining title that makes the best case for both the series' past and its future (it's personally my favorite game of this year). Though I may have my reservations going forward about what the Scarlet and Violet series has planned; part of me does hope they're able to pull it off. If I do have legit problems with the story, characters or visuals; I am not above letting others know. However, if it all works and is success; all is well with the world. While I remain a skeptic about the changes sticking; if these characters can leave the story on a positive note, then maybe all the time they spent onscreen is worth it. It's not even the only continuity where it happened: the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga ended with Jessie and James leaving the organization; getting engaged and even expecting a child together. This collage also shows that while they might have started their relationship with our heroes as enemies, they could leave as friends.


Bottom line: it's okay to not only just have new antagonists in the series; but if they want to retire Team Rocket. They can have a normal life and just be podcasters if they want to. That's all for now, and I will see you all again soon. Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment