Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Regarding "Aim to Be a Pokémon Master" and the 2023 anime.

This is arguably one of the most challenging times to address this topic I’ve experienced in years. However, after giving it some thought; I have finally figured out how I want to play this. Here is my plan regarding the miniseries “Aim to Be a Pokémon Master” and the upcoming 2023 anime series based on “Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.”

Promotional poster for "Aim to Be a Pokémon Master."


To close out “Pokémon Journeys” and celebrate the legacy of the series as a whole, a miniseries OVA known as “Aim to Be a Pokémon Master” (in reference to the original Japanese theme song) will be airing. The series will detail key events in the anime’s history, billed as the “final chapter” of the story… which should make an interesting transition to the next part of this.

In regards to the Generation IX series, that’s something else entirely. Though details remain sparse at this stage; the series will be led by new characters known as Riko and Roy… which is my primary concern at this stage. I’ve mentioned before that rebooting any series can be hit or miss in this day and age, much less something this successful and long-running. While adaptations that focus on different characters have worked as one-offs (with the Origins miniseries and Detective Pikachu’s live-action film being two examples I love), I have long believed changing the lead is a greater risk than most people realize or admit. I’m not the only one expressing this concern either: most of the talk I’ve heard has been mixed on the reboot. Hair decorations aren’t really as important to me as knowing who a character is and how they operate. 

Promotional image of Riko and Roy alongside Sprigatito, Fuecoco and Quaxly.

I also want to make clear that I’m not against the idea itself; just skeptical of the way they’re going about it. If they truly are going for the “Discard and draw” approach, I’m just surprised and confused that they’re not using Florian and Juliana from the games. I will need time to ruminate on this more. Just saying for now that Nemona, Arven and Penny were right there. It’s honestly the first time in ages that I legitimately don’t know what to expect from this iteration. Though the producers have claimed characters from the previous anime will show up; it honestly won’t surprise me if Riko and Roy end up as examples of a “decoy protagonist.” It would hardly be the first time a “final chapter” ended up as anything but.

Overall, though I have my doubts; I will cherish the time I spent with the series and this miniseries if the end of an age is truly upon us. As for the 2023 anime- that’s another story. I’m deliberately keeping my expectations low based on what I’ve been told. That way, if it works; I’ll be pleasantly surprised; and if it doesn’t, I won’t be disappointed. Either way, it won’t really affect what I have planned for the coming year; as I don’t plan on formally addressing either one till they actually release officially in North America. That will be all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment