Friday, March 24, 2023

Aim to Be a Pokémon Master First Viewing Thoughts- How to End an Endless Journey

As wise people once said, all good things must come to an end. Now that I’ve seen the entire miniseries; I will give my first viewing thoughts on Aim to Be a Pokémon Master. Here is how to end an endless journey.

You see, Last Evolution Kizuna? THIS is how you end a beloved anime series.

In the long and storied history of fiction; there have been many series finales that managed to successfully close the book on their chapters of television, and many that haven’t. Fortunately, this is an example of the former.

Over the course of these 11 episodes, which serve as something of an epilogue to Pokémon Journeys (and the last quarter-century of the anime as a whole); the legacy of the series is both honored and remixed. “The Rainbow and the Pokémon Master” makes a fitting bookend to such a beloved series; and I would be more than happy to talk about it in further detail after it’s brought stateside (as well as further coverage of the video games). I am far less down that the story is over and more pleased that I got a chance to experience it. Can’t say for certain if this is my favorite series finale ever, but I can say for certain it’s made my list. 

Honestly choosing not to be sad the story is ending for now, just glad it's not ending like Digimon Adventure 02 did. Still not certain about this truly being the final chapter for them overall. Have a feeling they’ll be back- certainly wouldn’t be the first time I heard this. All the same, as long as they’re remembered; no one’s ever really gone.

The reveal late last year didn’t impact my plans for the most part; though it will be an opportunity to take a new look at material I haven’t yet through a new lens. That will include full reviews of both this miniseries and the special “The Distant Blue Sky” once English dubs are officially released in the US. On that subject, I have concluded that I will not be addressing the 2023 series at this time. Until I can determine the trajectory of the new series, I will not be reviewing it in the foreseeable future. That will be all for now, as I have some unfinished business to attend to. Thank you, treasured friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment