Friday, March 10, 2023

Honest Thoughts- The End of Team Rocket in "Aim to Be a Pokémon Master."

Well, I had entertained this before; and now it seems they've finally done it. Though I have no formal opinion on the new information revealed about the 2023 anime (seriously considering taking a break from it depending on what the initial episodes are like), nor am I certain the retirement of the protagonist will stick; this is something that's worth addressing even if I don't have plans for a full review right now. Here are my honest thoughts on the end of Team Rocket in "Aim to Be a Pokémon Master."

In the episode entitled "Team Rocket Strikes Back" that just debuted in Japan earlier today; the team assembles nearly every monster they've partnered with in one last heist attempt. Yet, despite their best efforts; the venture ultimately fails. Though they're no strangers to this, it seems that their partnership is finally over. To prove I'm not just trying to clickbait people (like the rumors about the classic titles on Game Boy Online/Game Boy Advance Online or the Switch successor); I did indeed take screenshots when the HQ subs went live.

Team Rocket: April 8, 1997-March 10, 2023


Between the fact the games have been changing adversaries ever since Generation III, the reduction of screen time the characters have had in the last decade or so and how the anime for Generation VII and VIII have been willing to break the formula (for the better in my POV); I had a feeling this would happen. The only questions I had were how and when. It would have been nice if they decided to live a normal life; but sometimes things happen like that.

With this, the main Team Rocket trio is functionally disbanded. Though I was not initially planning on addressing the topic this week; I thought I would strike while the iron is hot. I do not know what to expect from the 2023 anime; and I have no plans to examine it in detail at this time.

Bottom line: this is a bittersweet end to characters that may not be my favorites, but marks the end of an era in its own way. This won't be the only opportunity I have this year to address such an ending either; but that can wait for now. I will see you all again soon, take care.

PS- Go watch Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, it really is that good.

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me while I cry endlessly in a corner. These guys were my comfort, and seeing a found family break apart is always the worst. Not sure if I will accept this or go write a fix-it fic where they meet again after spending a year or so apart, only to finally build a life together that is bound not by crime, but by their honest feelings towards each other. Then again, half the Rocketshipping fandom has probably rushed to do just that after the episode came out. Lightspeed to them.

    ReplyDelete