Friday, April 21, 2023

Pokémon Horizons (JP) First Impressions.

So, the time has finally come: Pokémon Horizons has begun its run in Japan and I have mixed feelings on the matter. On one hand, it’s not the disaster I was concerned about it being; but on the other, I also don’t have the same enthusiasm for it others do at this stage. I think the best way to explain why would be to talk about the first three episodes of this “new era,” and there will be spoilers as well if you care. I will also try not to mention “you-know-who” as much as possible, and see how this works as both its own thing and an adaptation of the games. So, let’s open this up and get started.

Having seen the first three episodes (the most recent loosely translating to “I’m Sure As Long as I’m with Sprigatito”), there isn’t really that much different from previous incarnations apart from the new leads. I think it’s all right, if others think more highly of it I’m not going to try and dissuade them; but it’s not doing a whole lot for me right now. I may check out the next couple just to be safe; but I think I need a break for the first time since AG nearly 20 years ago. I’m just kind of surprised they aren’t using Florian and Juliana, or other game characters; or making Paldea the main setting.

I also want to make clear that I’m not against reboots, nor am I against the idea of alternating characters in franchises. It’s just that the way this one has been set up isn’t exactly what I had in mind; especially coming off both Sun and Moon and Journeys. I will admit that I do not bear the new cast or their fans any ill will; even if they personally don’t do anything for me.

That’s not to say there isn’t room for improvement; nor anything of value. The animation and music are quite good; and keeping the dual protagonists and globetrotting adventure premise of the previous incarnation are appreciated. All the same, I hope that they flesh the leads out more as time goes on. I found Riko less “reserved” and more needlessly pessimistic. I certainly hope the inner monologues stop before long. Seriously- there’s a moment where she realizes she’s the heroine and I slapped my forehead in disbelief. I may be fine with a degree of doubt in a character when it makes sense, but even though I have concerns about the Rising Volt Tacklers as well; I would have preferred them as leads if you-know-who or characters from the games weren’t an option.

Not only do I know more about Riko and Roy’s trinkets than I do about them; I actually know less about their characters than I do about any previous incarnation of the series at the same point. I’m not as convinced about the characters as others are at this stage, nor do I feel the same way about the characterization as a whole. That said, part of me is hoping more can be done even if we’re in uncharted waters for the series now.

What surprised me the most is that all trepidations aside, this actually works fine as an alternate continuity/AU from the previous seasons. Why the people in charge didn’t just come right out and say so is beyond me.

The success of Pokémon Detective Pikachu, the live-action Sonic movies and the recent animated Super Mario reboot have proven that you can honor the legacy of the source material and make a satisfying adaptation on its own merit: it is possible.

Though the series could go in any direction from here, part of me hopes that the series will find its groove over time. However, given how it’s not the only piece of content we’re getting in the near future (personally more interested in the stop-motion Pokémon Concierge and finally getting Detective Pikachu 2); it’s admittedly got its work cut out. I still will not be formally reviewing any of the series until it gets an English dub; depending on what happens next. That will be all for now, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment