Friday, April 7, 2023

Updates on Pokémon Detective Pikachu 2 and the 2023 anime.

Hey everyone- I’ve just been handed a couple updates about Pokémon adaptations coming in the near future. One of them I’m eager to see and have been itching to hear more about, the other; much less so. Let’s get to it and open them up.

First, let’s talk about the sequel to “Pokémon Detective Pikachu.” Between the upheaval of the pandemic and the WB Discovery merger (which saw many projects infamously shelved for tax write-offs); I am thankful to hear the project is still on its way. On top of a new draft to the script being written by Chris Galletta (best known for the indie films “The Kings of Summer” and “Galveston”), a new director is being courted with Jonathan Krisel (co-creator of the hit TV series “Portlandia”). Though the cast has been quiet about reprising their roles (Justice Smith was notably unsure, but also expressed interest in returning); I am very interested to experience the sequel once it releases (as well as the sequel to the game for Nintendo Switch).

On another note, the 2023 anime based on “Pokémon Scarlet and Violet” is set to begin this month in Japan. In addition to new leads Riko and Roy, there are more new characters that include Professor Friede and Captain Pikachu… which should be a good opening to express my feelings on the matter. I once again wonder why they don’t appear to be using characters from the games, since Clavell, Sada and Turo are among my favorite aspects of Generation IX so far. Though I am pleased to see Ceruledge, I’m less certain about its partner, Amethio and the Explorers. Honestly was hoping to see Team Star be used, and I again question the point of the reboot if they aren’t going to adapt the storylines from the games. For everyone who seems open to the idea; there’s a fair amount who are more skeptical. As I have made clear, I fall in the latter camp. We arguably have less information about this anime now than we did about the Advanced Generation nearly 20 years ago. The skeptic in me is concerned about this actually lasting beyond 2023 as they’re claiming (comments made by the producers to me seem like an insurance policy in case things don’t work out). However, the optimist in me is hoping to be proven wrong. That’s a mindset I approach a lot of fiction with these days, and is a reasonable one to have. Seems to be the consensus among other reactions I’ve parsed as well.

I will give the 2023 series the usual litmus test of three episodes (sometimes I do five just to be sure), but beyond that; I have no plans to formally review it. By contrast, “Pokémon Detective Pikachu 2” should be an easy win once it finally is made a reality; and I look forward to telling you more about that. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment