Saturday, May 27, 2023

Star Wars Visions Season 2 (2023) Thoughts.

Following the success of the first season last year, this was inevitable. Given my enthusiasm for the medium and this saga, I was duty bound to write about this. Here are my thoughts on Star Wars Visions: Season 2.

Courtesy: Lucasfilm/Buena Vista Entertainment

Though I didn't know what to think about Western animation studios joining Eastern contributors at first, once I found out which ones would be contributing; I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the likes of D'Art Shtaijo, Triggerfish and the South Korean Studio MIR (whose credits as support studios include The Legend of Korra, Attack on Titan and Chainsaw Man); we have a wide range of animation studios around the world contributing to the saga. 

The season is led off by "Sith," coming to us from El Guiri in Spain. Other standouts include "In the Stars," from the Chilean studio Punk Robot, "The Spy Dancer" from the French Studio La Cachette; and "The Bandits of Golak" from India's 88 Pictures.

One I really enjoy is "Screecher's Reach," by the acclaimed Irish studio Cartoon Saloon ("The Secret of Kells," "Wolfwalkers"). Even as someone who isn't the most well-versed in Celtic myths and folklore; they paired it seamlessly with a young woman's awakening in the Force.

If I had to pick my favorite of this season, it would be "I am Your Mother" by Aardman ("Wallace and Gromit," "Chicken Run," "The Pirates: Band of Misfits"). Centered around racing spacecraft, it shows how the bonds between mother and child can take on multiple different forms even when taking part in high-velocity races. Plus, with the studio's experience in stop-motion; it's exactly what I would imagine from these people making a Star Wars story: cracking job, lads!

As this year marks the 46th anniversary of the saga, and the 40th anniversary of Return of the Jedi, I bid you all a good day and I will see you all again soon. May the Force be with you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment