Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Update 5-17-23- Two Games, A Trigun, Some Knights and a Beyblade X.

Hey fellas- been a while since I did a straight update on here. Think it's as good a time as any, so here's some developments ahead of my next big posts.

First and foremost- my full review of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet will be going live tomorrow on both this and my Gotta Watch 'Em All blog. The finishing touches will be applied tonight.

Second is a pleasant surprise: after many years out of print; both the original Trigun manga and its sequel, Trigun Maximum are being reprinted later this year; both in omnibus editions from longtime publisher Dark Horse Comics. Regardless of how you feel about the reboot (I didn't particularly care for it), this is an ideal way to celebrate the 25th anniversary. I intend to continue my reviews of the series, much as I did with Cowboy Bebop a while back.

The third bit of news is a bit less pleasant, and less surprising. The live-action Knights of the Zodiac, loosely based on the long-running Saint Seiya series has finally released as a collaboration between Japanese producers and Polish director Tomek Baginski (it's ok- I haven't heard of him either). The results were... less than favorable. I might consider looking at it after it comes on VOD; but for now, the film has debuted at #12 at the box office, grossing just $557,533 against a $60,000,000 budget. Even factoring the competition (GOTG Volume 3 stayed on top with $62 million, closely followed by a very leggy Super Mario jumping to $12.6 million) and a post-COVID landscape for film (I wonder how this strike will affect matters); these are abysmal numbers at any rate. It also took a critical drubbing, with a 28% Rotten Tomatoes rating, a 35 score on Metacritic; and a 4.6/10 on IMDB as of this writing. Honestly the last thing the franchise needed after the CGI series.

Lastly, is what could actually work for its franchise: a new anime and manga called Beyblade X; which will be coming later this year alongside the battling model tops of the same name. They seem to be targeting a slightly older demographic this time around; which I am in favor of. I honestly think the vast majority of the Beyblade anime made after G-Revolution ended are unwatchable; and if it takes a pitch that's "Beyblade meets Redbelt" to inject some quality, then so be it. The models, however; do look neat as ever- the Dranzer I used to have really got an upgrade.

I will post my full review of Scarlet and Violet tomorrow, and I will have more to come from June onward. That will be all for now, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment