Monday, August 7, 2023

Yo-Kai Watch 4 Finally Sees International Release... In China?

I know I tend to use this Eggman meme a lot, but... "I was not expecting that, but I was expecting not to expect something, so it doesn't count." After nearly four years of radio silence, Level-5 has finally announced an international release... in China, of all places.

Key art for Chinese release of Yo-Kai Watch 4.

The two nations have long had a complicated relationship for a variety of reasons, but I'd like to focus on the anime and gaming aspects for this post. So far, just the game itself was announced for Switch and PS4 in China; with no clear indication of the accompanying anime films seeing release at this time.

That aside, the Chinese release could go in any direction from here. If it manages to find an audience, then it seems possible further international releases could follow. Otherwise, things still remain highly uncertain for the franchise's future prospects. I've managed to go eight years without invoking the "ripoff" claim, and I'm not going to start now.

That honor is reserved for "Clues and Monster" here.

Admittedly, there aren't a whole lot of other details at this stage. I do intend to keep an eye on this situation as it develops, as this wasn't the start to August I initially planned. That will be tomorrow morning; and I still am working on other stuff that I have wanted to do for ages. 

As before, I will only review the fifth movie if the game makes it to the US, and with that said; I will see you all again soon.

P.S.: Go see TMNT Mutant Mayhem, it really is that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment