Sunday, July 23, 2023

Convention Highlights- Anime Expo '23, SDCC+More

As a man I knew once said, and now for something completely different. With in-person events gradually returning alongside an endemic state; I thought I would talk about some anime highlights from some conventions this month. Might not have been my exact plan, but let's give it a go anyway.

Let's start with this year's Anime Expo. I am quite pleased to see more details on the upcoming stop-motion series Pokémon Concierge; which follows a young woman named Haru and her Psyduck as they work at the Pokémon Resort. As someone who has had very mixed feelings towards the 2023 anime (more on that in a bit), I am liking the more relaxed tone and style of animation; and I look forward to seeing more when the series streams on Netflix later this year.

On that note, Studio Trigger has announced new entries in two landmark series: Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. I have made no secret of the fact the former is my favorite anime ever (even saw the episode 5.5 OVA that came as a bonus with that game); and I think it's the right time for the latter to reappear. I am very eager to see the return of an anime that is every bit as hilarious as it is inappropriate. Fitting, as its creation came about after the people in charge spent a night drinking and watching Drawn Together. ... No, I am not making that up.

Now, let's talk about San Diego Comic-Con; which has grown from merely focusing on comic books to being something of a mecca for all forms of pop culture fandom. Though the first dual strike for the WGA and SAG-AFTRA since the 1960s has altered if not outright canceled several planned events, the first-ever presentation for The Pokémon Company International was spared. I may remain a skeptic on the long-term prospects of Pokémon Horizons (especially as the EN release date has changed from "2023 and beyond" to a much more vague "coming soon"); but the dub footage doesn't look like the worst thing ever. All the same, I have no plans to formally review it before it gets an official release in the states. I do plan to formally review the EN dub of the Distant Blue Sky special; and I'm exploring options for a full review of the "To Be a Master" miniseries as well.

One highlight is the 25th anniversary exhibit for Cowboy Bebop. With its influence on both sides of the Pacific still clear a quarter of a century, its impact is definitely worthy of this journey from subculture to pop culture to pop art. I'm nearing a decision on my 700th post; and the movie is one of the candidates. I'm very glad to know the impact of this anime is still being felt,

To wrap up, the interactive experience set up for the Dragon Ball franchise is definitely a treat from Bandai Namco. From scale models of familiar locations to giant balloons of beloved characters; it is an utter joy to observe. 

I may not have planned to post about this, but then again, I didn't expect to be so eager to drop the "Barbenheimer" this weekend either. That will be all for now, take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment