Monday, November 27, 2023

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off (2023) First Viewing Thoughts- A Netflix Anime That Gets It Together.

Hey everyone- I know it’s been a bit since I last posted anything big; but Thanksgiving hit me harder than expected. Rest assured, even if I have to bump stuff further; I will post stuff I have queued up when it’s done. In the meantime, I might as well talk about an anime that I have seen and been fascinated by this month. Here are my first viewing thoughts on Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.

Courtesy: Netflix/Science Saru



As a longtime fan of the graphic novels and their previous adaptations (chiefly the 2010 film by Edgar Wright and the video game from the same year); I can say that this is an excellent adaptation of the material that also serves as a sort of remix. Not only did the cast and creatives behind the previous material return; but given how much influence anime and manga had in said material; this was a natural move. Science Saru captured the energy of the source perfectly; and although those in charge have denied rumors of a second season, I am open to the idea.

I did find amusement in many of the jokes and smaller pragmatic changes. Notably, rather than delivering for Amazon.ca like in the comic and movie; Ramona delivers DVD rentals for Netflix (amusing as the two are rivals, and a bit wistful as they shipped out their last DVDs earlier this year). The little odd quirks of this anime and the source never feel that way after all this time. Rather, they’re intrinsic to the plot.

If you aren’t familiar with Scott Pilgrim, now is a good time to start. If you are like I am, then this will be a wild ride. Just thought I would get you all something to let you all know I’m not just watching One Piece and playing the new Super Mario RPG (which is also true). That’s all for now, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment