Saturday, September 28, 2024

My Complicated Relationship With Dragon Ball GT.

Hey everyone- with Dragon Ball Daima set to debut this October; I thought I would take a look back at another anime that I have a rather conflicted view of. So, here is a post on my complicated relationship with Dragon Ball GT.

Courtesy: Toei/Fuji TV


Though I did watch the anime at the time, there ways always something about it that felt off; and not just because of its dubious canonical status even now. Before I get into the story and character aspects; I will go over the aspects I like about it. Though not spectacular, the animation is solid; and while the late, great Akira Toriyama was largely hands-off with writing; the designs he contributed certainly bear his artistic fingerprints. The music is also decent, and I especially like how the voice cast reprised their roles (especially Stephanie Nadolny as young Goku- glad she's coming back for Daima).

Regrettably, it's the story and characters that end up coming up short this time around. Though it's not as rife with issues as, say, Digimon Adventure 02 is personally; it has a similar core problem. Namely, there are lots of ideas recycled from earlier stories; and the new ideas break suspension of disbelief more than the fighter balance in the Final Bout Playstation game. Yes, I played that back in the day (the second printing, not the rarer first printing).

Admittedly, the heroes and antagonists carried over from past incarnations are fine for the most part. It's  additions this anime that don't really stand out, with Lord Luud, Super Baby and the Para Para brothers being among the least memorable. Regarding the last ones, they're apparently named after a dance trend that had already faded by the time the anime got dubbed. Heck, even Dazzler had a better time adapting to changing times.

As for characters we know, a large part of me was excited to see how Pan would grow as a person and fighter after the epilogue of Z. Let's just say that the depiction of her is not what I was hoping for. I do like the outfit at least, but not so much how she's acting more childish than her grandfather; who's reverted to his child self after a wish gone awry. (sighs) 

While I have never had an issue with young Goku outside this anime; I submit it's not merely having him in the story that makes him work- it's how you use him. That's something this anime didn't really understand until it was too late. He is the most obvious example of the character going through the hits like your favorite band playing the fairground circuit; then trying new material that doesn't quite land.

Case in point- The Last Oracle of Luud. This was a particularly tedious experience; and that's not a word I typically associate with this material. Fighting a personified whip is not something that should be this mundane; and that is among the reasons why I decided against reviewing or recapping any episodes in favor of this instead.

Somehow, it creates more arc fatigue than the canon entries ever could. Also find "The Beginning of the End" an ironic title when it comes up at less than halfway through. The visit to sector 2814 does somewhat amuse me; as it makes me joke about the Green Lantern Corps being in the vicinity.

Of course, there's the robotic companion Giru; who honestly ranks quite low in my view of machine characters in the franchise. If the tin can hadn't bonded with the Dragon Radar, there really wouldn't be much reason to exist. Not even his backstory could convince me otherwise. Pan's gambit that follows is also much more "meh" than "WHOO! I'M ABOUT TO MAKE A NAME FOR MYSELF HERE!"

As my rewatch pressed on, characters such as Rilldo and Dr. Myu lacked the memorable qualities even less universally-revered antagonists of the franchise have, especially the latter. He's functionally Gero without the charisma, and we'll come back to his creations in a bit.

Though most of the updated character designs are passable; my least favorite redesign would have to go to my favorite character: Vegeta, who gets saddled with a truly awful mustache that makes him look like infamous adult film star Ron Jeremy. Thankfully, he has the sense to shave it off about a third of the way into the show.

In all honesty, the "Saiyan Hunting" is a larger part of Baby's body surfing between hosts, and it takes up a sizable chunk of his saga. As previously stated, he's a villain who may share the power absorption of Cell; but not his charisma or memorable menace. Him attempting to takeover Trunks and Goten's date isn't quite the same as consuming people whole, skin and all.

While Android 17 and 18 have never been my favorite characters; even I understand why they have fans. Still, I was not pleased with how this anime handled them. Their new designs weren't the worst; but the way they were written was the Achilles' heel as usual. The way this anime turned them into little more than living weapons is far less satisfying than to see 18 be figuratively and literally humanized by Krillin's love; or 17 learning that protecting and giving life can be every bit as gratifying as taking a life.

Though the distant finale may not be as contentious as Digimon 02, it is still easily my least favorite finale to any of the anime adaptations. Original Dragon Ball ends with Goku and Chi Chi getting married. DBZ ends with Goku helping train Uub (the reformed personification of Buu's evil side) as a fighter. Super ends with Goku victorious in the Last Universe Standing and peace being restored to each of the universes. However, even factoring in that it's non-canon; GT ends with Goku and Shenron disappearing for a century, something that is more understandable than TK's novelized account of his friends (though no less disappointing).

So, while this anime might not be the disaster I remembered it to be; it's also the least memorable adaptation of Dragon Ball by far. For all the faults of Evolution, at least that was a spectacularly awful trash fire. This is not only not canon, but the biggest gripe I have beyond that is that it's just average. I am glad that Super managed to more effectively remix ideas from the whole franchise. I also admire it for striking the right balance of the high stakes of Z and the wonder of the original. Though some took issue with this, I always like how it nailed (at least personally) how Goku never lost his sense of adventure with age, nor his sense of humor as shown.

Age 12: "What do I care about seeing your dirty old fanny?"




Age 42: "I wouldn't come here just to see your boobies- they're too saggy now."




I mean, as someone who has ventured into other parts of the author's work even before he passed; him meeting Arale from Dr. Slump is a concept that holds water- a fun breather before things get serious. By contrast, I never knew what mindset to adopt for GT; and watching it again for the first time in ages (going over every episode to make sure I have the details correct); I still don't. Whatever transpires with Dragon Ball Daima, I have more confidence in that as a posthumous parting gift (along with the Sand Land anime and game).

Overall, I cannot go so far to say I outright hate Dragon Ball GT; but I also can't go so far as saying I like it. If I may borrow a line from Schaffrillas, I consider it painfully average. I found it better than Digimon 02, but my relationship is complicated with it all the same. That is all for now, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment