Wednesday, May 30, 2012

How A Recap is Made.

Hey guys.

Now that my movie recap has had time to sink in, I will briefly list the steps I take when making a recap before I get back to doing so again.

1. Selecting the anime episode

The first step is to pick an episode of an anime that has good material for a recap. It can be one that I'm familiar with, such as the Pokémon and Bleach ones, or ones I just found out about like Bakugan and Code Geass. I go through several if I have to find one I can work with.

2. Watching the episode

So the next step is to watch the episode. While doing this, I pull up a sort of digital notepad and take notes on peculiar things about the episode, as well as keeping a mental note on the plot of the episode. I also take time to take screencaps of the episode so I can show you anything that might provide context for my remarks. I generally pause the episode while taking the notes, so this step takes at minimum, an hour, but the recap of "Love, Petalburg Style" took 4 hours to take notes on.

3. Writing the recap

This is the step that takes the longest. It generally takes about 4 or 5 days to write a recap from the notes I take, though the movie recap took 19 days to write. This step involves determining what notes are relevant to the recap and how I can make them sound funny or if I decide they can. What sounds good on the notepad may not make it into the finished recap. I also write captions for the screencaps I can work into it.

4. Posting the recap

Depending on how stable my internet connection is, and how long the recap is, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to post the recap. This step also involves orienting the text in a uniform fashion, and deciding which screencaps are usable. Generally, only about a third of the screencaps I take actually make it into the finished recap. The recap of "A Combination Battle" had 27 screencaps taken for it, but only 9 ended up actually being used. The movie recap was especially tricky in this regard, as over 100 total screencaps were taken, so which ones that could be worked into the final recap had to be held to greater scrutiny.

That is the general process of how I make a recap. As for the next one I'll do to follow my movie recap? Well, I'm mulling over several options, which include an episode of one of the following shows-"Ouran High School Host Club," "Dinosaur King," "Magical Doremi," or "Bakugan: New Vestroia." I'll likely do another Pokémon episode recap once summer officially begins. I will get to "A Double Dilemma", but that will not be the very next Pokémon episode recap. Trust me when I say that even though the Advanced Challenge season as a whole was good, there were some bad episodes there.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment