Friday, January 18, 2013

Recap: A Lean, Mean, Team Rocket Machine!



Hello again. A few days ago, I had my 21st birthday. As of this writing, it has been nearly 15 years since I began watching anime. For this blog, I have plans for expansion
this year. I plan to cover more than just the anime I did last year; as well as share a bit of anime
news when I can. I also plan to do more lists regarding anime. Some of the anime I plan to cover that I did not last year include some Transformers anime, some of the Marvel anime
(Iron Man, Wolverine, Blade); a bit of Super Milk Chan; an episode of Gurren Lagann (specifically, the one that was drawn in a rougher style due to the episode having a different
lead animator); and the infamous Endless 8 of Haruhi Suzumiya, which I'm told are the low point of the series (Note: I am still not realizing why anime fans value it so highly. I'm about
to watch episode 5. I intend to finish the first season, then recap the Endless 8 and maybe
the movie; The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.).

I have started Bobobo-bo Bobo-bo, and it is by far one of the most hilarious
anime I have ever seen. The series manages to cram every single shonen cliché possible into
each half-hour. It captures the absolute insanity of the anime medium through the eyes of
a soul brother nose-hair fighter. I'm also thinking about starting Hell Girl, as it appears to be
a distaff counterpart to Death Note from what I've heard about it.

Anime I covered last year that I will be picking up again are Code Geass R2 (I intend to finish what I started with my most hated anime); Bakugan (I will start covering
New Vestroia, and do more episodes than I did with the original series); the Mutant Turtles:
Superman Legend OVA (the second episode is every bit as wacky as the first) B-Daman and
Duel Masters (two very different examples of how to do a gag dub); Ouran High School Host
Club (there is another episode or two that irked me when I watched the series); Monsuno (one
more episode should be fine); and of course, more Pokémon.

Pokémon. That's one thing I reflected on when I turned 21. When I was 11, I was
convinced that I was done with the series. Granted, I still played the games, but I didn't buy as
many of them as I did when I was 6. I had sold my cards and put away my figures. I had
immediately tried to get past the series; as I was starting to get into Yu-Gi-Oh at the time (not
to mention Naruto fever was setting in). By the time I was 16, the world seemed far more
uncertain. I had trouble accepting the Yu-Gi-Oh sequel series (I don't particularly like GX, but
I enjoy 5Ds for its apocalypse theme and darker storyline); and I outright rejected the presence
of Naruto (I'm still having trouble getting into it.) As such, I welcomed Pokémon back with
open arms; becoming even more into it than I was before. I believe CS Lewis had this to say
about such a matter: “Critics who treat "adult" as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence....When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

When I was writing the recap for “A Double Dilemma,” I had planned to do a
recap of an episode I enjoyed. The recap ended up getting delayed several times, but now I
have done it. So, let's open up “A Lean, Mean, Team Rocket Machine.”






We open on Dawn practicing contest appeals with her Piplup. Regarding Dawn:
I do not find her as bad as some people think. Some people dislike her for feeling bad after
losing contests; but I feel the fact that she actually conveys dismay makes her more realistic.
Over-optimistic characters get tiresome fast to me; and having them display sadness makes
them more complete.




Anyway; Piplup makes a sculpture of himself out of bubbles for a mock
contest appeal. Still, it's not why I'm talking about this episode.

We now get the theme song of this particular season, “We Will Be Heroes.” It's an all right song, by Pokémon standards. In English-speaking countries, this was the first
Pokémon theme song to be sung by a female singer; the previous theme songs had been sung
by male artists. In Japan, female vocalists singing the songs are more common than male ones;
but I daresay I'm getting off track.







We get the episode's title card, and it is pretty fancy. CGI had appeared sporadically in the movies and the later episodes of the Advanced Generation, but it began
being used more extensively in the Diamond and Pearl saga. The title cards had a CGI Poké
Ball opening in a flash of light, then the text appeared over a group of planets.





After Piplup collapses in Dawn's arms, we cut to Team Rocket, looking quite
portly. They are just coming off having worked at the Pokémon Summer Academy in an arc
before this episode. There is a bit of talking about their weight and about a buffet.







At the Pokémon Center, Nurse Joy states that Piplup is overdoing it. Stop the
presses! She says for Piplup to get some rest. I know I needed rest after A Double Dilemma.





We cut to the buffet, where Team Rocket is gorging themselves even further
with food. Now they've gone from overweight to obese.




Yes, they're all dangerously fat; complete with a fantasy about them rolling
around. All that's missing are some Oompa-Loompas.




Jessie looks at herself forlornly...





James goes for his rose despite looking like a lump...








...And Meowth retreats to another boss fantasy. I always liked Meowth's boss
fantasies. He puts himself over rare Pokémon like Mew, Milotic, Shieldon, Riolu, and Celebi.






At first, Team Rocket is horrified at how they've let themselves go.





Then, they collect themselves and vow for a return to the basics. Well, from what
I've seen; they intend to go back to being silly after their experimentation with a darker phase.
I've seen plenty of comic book characters go through a gritty, Rob Liefeld phase that people
joke about now.








Meanwhile, at the Pokémon Center, Dawn comes in to see Piplup. Dawn is still
distraught at overworking Piplup, but Piplup gets up and essentially chirps in a manner that tells
her to get a hold of herself. Then, he jumps into Dawn's arms.


Oh, look at them snuggle! *squee*




Ash talks with Professor Oak on the phone about Gliscor. If I may say so,
Jimmy Zoppi's Oak voice is OK, but it's not as good as Stan Hart's Oak voice. Dawn comes
over; and is unaware of Oak's status as a Pokémon professor (but apparently knows his poetry).
Oak encourages Dawn to talk to the other patrons of the Pokémon Center and trade information.
Of course. You have to make sure to talk to everybody in the games, even if you don't have
a battle with them.  






Meanwhile, we have Team Rocket making good on their “back to basics”
strategy, working off the weight they gained. Normally, the situation would call for the old








Back at the Pokémon Center, we see Ash and Brock doing dishes. The sight
of Ash and Brock doing dishes is kind of funny.  





All of a sudden, it cuts to a fantasy of Brock swooning over Nurse Joy. Even
after all these years, Brock is still a ladies' man.


GAH! When did Brock turn into Jaden Yuki?



Now, Croagunk has controlled Brock. He does this by using Poison Jab in his
rear. They can get away with that on a TV-Y7 kids' anime.





It's dusk, and a slimmed-down Team Rocket comes rolling in with their car.
Also, I have no idea why they're dressed like this.







They break into the Pokémon Center and opt to steal the Pokémon. Apparently,
James' rose has an electric lock pick in it.






Now they're taking all the Poké Balls. Piplup then gets up, as if to get a cup of
water. Piplup then chirps very loudly and wakes everybody up.





As the Pokémon Center patrons panic that their Pokémon are gone, Ash, Dawn,
Brock, and Pikachu come to Piplup and find out what is going on.


You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate a whole wheel of cheese?
I'm not even mad, that's impressive!





They go outside to find Team Rocket gloating over their spoils. Why I chose
to recap this episode in a moment. Get ready everybody! Here it comes!






Team Rocket begins reciting their original motto. As in, the one they had in
the original series. My face just about lit up when I heard them say their original motto.
As I explained earlier, I was 16 at the time, just getting back into Pokémon for the first time
in 5 years. I absolutely loved that.






Team Rocket than activates their mecha. It's not really like a Transformer, it's
far too simple. It's more like a Go-Bot.





Then, as if the original motto wasn't enough, they start playing “Team Rocket's
Rockin'”. Yes! Yes! I never had the 2BA Master album, but they did play the song a lot in
the Pikachu's Jukebox segments.







They start to wreck up the place and wreak havoc with their mecha. Look at







Team Rocket is then attacked by some of Piplup's bubbles. Pikachu then shocks
the mecha; and for once, it is not shockproof. They really did go back to basics.







The next day, Ash, Dawn, and Brock go on their merry way; with Brock being
miffed that he's leaving Nurse Joy, but accepting of it. Dawn is glad Piplup is feeling better,
and Ash is looking forward to his next gym battle. This was a great way to detox from
“A Double Dilemma.”






“A Lean, Mean, Team Rocket Machine” is a highly satisfying romp. I am a
person that enjoyed the Sinnoh saga more than the Hoenn saga; and this is a prime example
of that. The way Team Rocket acted in this episode was a grand nostalgic party; and I heartily
enjoyed that. The animation was light and colorful, and I got a huge kick out of seeing Team
Rocket all pudgy. There is some great interplay between the main group here as well; and I feel
that it was a good way to unwind after “A Double Dilemma.” As for my next recap; I haven't
quite decided yet. I'll probably do another list regarding anime before I decide on my next
recap. I've also been informed that I have a new person to send articles to for my position at
the local newspaper; so that may make it so recaps get out a little bit later. For now, I think
I'll watch a bit more Bobobo-bo Bobo-bo and Haruhi Suzumiya. See you space cowboy.










5 comments:

  1. Oh man, it has been a while since I was last on here. So can you give me the situation about this guy from your job who will get out more posts on this blog? Oh yeah, congrats on watching Bobobo-bo. I don't know what to watch after I'm done with Cro High; I'll find something, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to be part of a Young Adult/Teen column for a local newspaper, but the arrangement fell through. My superior told me to talk to another person about it since I was the only one still interested.

      Delete
  2. You're paper has a Teen section? What does it usually cover? Sorry, but my paper only covers high school and college kids either in athletics or the occasional article. Yeah, it's not that interesting, to say the least?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There WAS going to be such a section, but the arrangement fell through. Since I seem to be the only one that's still interested; the person who was going to be in charge of said section referred me to someone else I can send articles to.

      Delete
  3. OK, I hear you loud and clear. Any more news to report? It's always insightful whenever there's juicy topics on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete